Numpty Question - Changing Gears, friction to index?

So the great news for me is I'm getting a new bike image
The worry is I will be making the change from friction gears on the down tube to index gears on the break leavers. (Ultegra 11 speed)

Aside from getting used to the leavers etc how has using your gears changed since the invention of index gears?

As a kid on friction gears I was taught to change well in advance and change infrequently, although you could drop through more than one gear at a time.But hearing the clicks on club rides I think things have changed?

Are there any good books on modern cycling technique?

Comments

• I'm a frequent changer, click up or down to maintain a similar level of effort and cadence, haven't had downtube shifters since I was about 12 so can't really comment of how the change feels!

• although the shifting will be smoother and more precise the main advantage you will probably find is that the gears are closer together as most old friction systems are 7-8 speed. with your 11 speed gearing you should be able to keep spinning at a desired cadence more easily. You'll be changing gear meow often but with the sti levers being so accessible it will be a lot easier than what you are used to. 

• Its far easier to change on STI's. So you will change more often. Which is a good thing. You want to keep your legs spinning at about the same rate - so you change up and down to suit.

Changing before you get to something is good - especially if its a stop and you're in a high gear or something. You don't need to change down before a hill though - if you're moving you can change gear. Ultegra is lovely.
  • depending on what groupset and brand you're getting, you can do multiple gear changes with STI levers - maybe 3 or 4 rings at a time (with top end electronic Campag sets, you can go from one end of the cassette to the other in one change - that's 11 gears) - which makes rapid shifting a little easier than one gear at a time.

and they're so much easier than old friction shifters.  although saying that, I believe that Armstrong at his (doped up) prime would use downtube shifters on mountain climb stages to save a bit of weight over STIs.

• There is a local rider that copied Armstrong like that. He put on a downtube shifter for the front mech.

And then didn't bother taking off the STI - so all he'd done was increase the weight of the bike. Muppet.
  • what a fricking muppet!  

it's like a lot of these guys who pick over the weights of all their components trying to shave weight - frankly most of the eejuts are carrying too much body weight to start with so if they just focused on losing some lard then they'd save a lot of money and go quicker anyway.  and a good dump might lose a kg or 2.....image

• Wheez, I've bought a 2014 Trek Domane 4.7 WSD, not picked it up yet though.
    I think this is the full group set details
    Shifters - Shimano Ultegra STI, 11 speed
    Front derailleur  - Shimano Ultegra, braze-on
    Rear derailleur  - Shimano Ultegra
    Crank Shimano -  Ultegra, 50/34 (compact)
    Cassette Shimano  - Ultegra 11-28, 11 speed

Thanks for all the tips, sounds like I'll be changing gears a lot more often in future.

• image Oh and as well as buying a better bike I am losing the lbs myself as well.

• Mmmmm. Carbonimage

Very nice image Enjoy it. Here's hoping for a mild winter to get out and enjoy some biking miles.

• Can't speak for Shimano as never used their integrated levers, but I assume that like Campag Ergo, you can now chnage under load - i.e. while stodd on the poedals going up hill, you can chnage gears... Best invention of last 50 years, far outweighs plastic bikes!

• I seem to have lost my spelling fingers...

• Bloody hell, if that's a jump ty question I'm keeping mine to myself, the only word I understand is gears, and that's a push.

• Kate.I didn't have a clue what frictio or index were either..........but then you don't really need to know as long as you keep your legs pedalling the bike forward and you know a local bike shop image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

My new winter bike has Shimano Sora, can't stand the levers, Campagnolo is far better IMO, but it's got a very crisp change which I like.

• Seren, my philosophy entirely, although may contribute to my hopelessness on the bicycle.

• Graeme, you get a crisp change, cheese & onion to salt & vinegar when you run out?

• "it's like a lot of these guys who pick over the weights of all their components trying to shave weight"

Remember the time David Millar took off his front mech completely to save weight during a TT, then his chain came off the front ring in the finishing straight and he lost by a second or two?

• I miss my downtube shifters and I am still an infrequent changer. But then, if you're used to using campag, you get used to its infrequent changing...

• Suffolk Punch wrote (see)

I miss my downtube shifters and I am still an infrequent changer. But then, if you're used to using campag, you get used to its infrequent changing...

you still holding those old skool views of Campag SP??  ffs....

next thing is you'll be saying green bikes are best......image

• Sadly, it's best days are behind it... it's been relegated to the winter hack now!

No need to be afraid anymore..... image