royal godparents list

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

If you don't like Taxi Driver's post just say " Are you busy? What time do you finish?"

Children can be so unkind image

• sorry wilkie....but i took the first snipe as

but the syrians shooting unborn babies  so shut up....and then 

seren, you know sexism and racism and all the other 'isms' still exist, so why not post your op about the subject in a different way, rather than faux surprise? It's a good debateable topic.

accussing me of starting a false post i took as a snipe..when i actually only post on topics that have interested me and i'm interested in peoples opinions.......not because i feel i should stir up a good debate on subjects i don't care too shits about because I feel its my calling in life to keep the forums going

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I love this idea that people aren't allowed to be miffed, upset or offended about certain things - and discuss such matters in an internet chat forum - because other more important issues are yet to be resolved.

CLOSE DOWN CLUBHOUSE TILL WE ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE!

• Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

Back to the debate. 

Okay clearly sexism is not a good thing and should be discouraged. But this situation is where a bunch of women who clearly like the status quo because it works fine for them. They would be happy to be called by their husbands names and would even sell a kidney for the prestige of being a royal godparent. If it upset their principals so much they should step down. 

In short people should stop being offended on other people's behalf. Surely there are some real issues out there and not those lame issues on that list. Someone grinded against me in a party? Like Mikakakasa says you slap them down/complain to the management/call the police. As for the woman who was still moaning about what happened in 1965? Get over it, most men weren't even born then. 

but that wouldn't apply to zara would it.she is already the queens grandchild and wealthy and an accomplishged women in her own right....yet she is addressed as Mr Michael tyndell who is a sportsman..

I wonder if there is a way of writing to her and asking what her opinion on it is and if she would give an honest answer........off to lookimage

• Phil.why stop at clubhouse.....lets be honest running itself is pretty unimportant compared to the starving  or tortured.they would love the opportunity to go for a run and thyen have a protein shake

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)
    ....yet she is addressed as Mr Michael tyndell who is a sportsman..

i agree, that is going to far.

• I know skotty.he isn't even welshimage

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

wasn't she addressed as Mrs Michael Tyndall?

Addressing her as mr is a bit confusing.

• oh yes..my mistake.......image

• These people have people to open doors for them and pull their seat back and fluff up their napkin. Zara whatsherface will happily be called Mrs Welsh Sportman because the system is serving her very well indeed. 

• it's not sexism, it's protocol

if you feel the protocol is sexist, fine, but that's just what it is. and this particular protocol has been that way for many many years.

should it change??  I couldn't give a fuck frankly as the whole issue is of such minor importance in the real lives of most of us that it doesn't really matter.

if any of the female godparents didn't want to be addressed that way, then I am sure they could have declined - but they didn't as I guess the chance to be a godparent to a future monarch outweighs their beliefs.

I'd rather say no to being a godparent because I don't believe in god (as I have done a couple of times), than worry about what I was called in a ceremony

• High 5 to that good buddhay

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)

I'd rather say no to being a godparent because I don't believe in god (as I have done a couple of times), than worry about what I was called in a ceremony

That's an interesting conundrum.  I'm godparent to my first nephew.  If I'm being honest, one of the main reasons I said yes was to avoid harming the sensibilities of my close relatives, but I can also justify it along the lines that mumbling a few meaningless words in a ceremony is a reasonable trade-off for being a role model in morality (that's how I see it anyway) as an example for my nephew to follow.  He's turned out all right, that's the main thing.  image

• Agree with that too. I'm a godparent to some child somewhere too. I made it clear that in no way am I going to singing sweet Jeesus anytime soon but they were cool with that. Just being a tower of virtue and morality was enough for them. Plus the brother would get first offer anyway. 

• seren nos wrote (see)

scream..imageimage

but then that could be because she has chosen the cooking chores and he has chosen the cleaning the bathroom and the ironing chores.and shes not pulling her weight.......image

Possibly - but I'm willling to bet not image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

it's not sexism, it's protocol

if you feel the protocol is sexist, fine, but that's just what it is. and this particular protocol has been that way for many many years.

should it change??  I couldn't give a fuck frankly as the whole issue is of such minor importance in the real lives of most of us that it doesn't really matter.

if any of the female godparents didn't want to be addressed that way, then I am sure they could have declined - but they didn't as I guess the chance to be a godparent to a future monarch outweighs their beliefs.

good post......the word protocol is one i couldn't did out from my brain reserves

and brings up the interesting part about God..........there has been a lot of posts recently about the stupidity of believing in God etc.......I wonder how many of those posters actually got married in a church or had their children christened in one,.......when they believe its all mumbo jumbo.and if so how they justified it to themselves

• The same way we justify celebrating Christmas and Easter. If it suits you purpose then why not. I'm going to a firework night but doesn't mean I hate Catholics. Do we stop to think that the body we are burning on the bonfire is a Catholic? Nope. But those fireworks are fun.

• but at christmans and easter you don't make promises to your partner......so if you are lying about the mumbo jumbo part.are you lying about all the rest of it ...like faithfulness etc

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

if you are lying about the mumbo jumbo part.are you lying about all the rest of it ...like faithfulness etc

i think a lot of people are.

just going along with what is expected.

as phil said: "one of the main reasons I said yes was to avoid harming the sensibilities of my close relatives, but I can also justify it along the lines that mumbling a few meaningless words in a ceremony is a reasonable trade-off for a regular shag"

or something like that.

• Well I'm an atheist with a clean conscience.

I was never baptised, don't have any kids (and wouldn't baptise them if I did) and got married in a civil ceremony. I also intend to have a Humanist funeral.

As for Christmas - well that's all about Pagan feasting. And Easter is Pagan too, actually...

• fair point scream.that makes sense to me...image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

as phil said: "one of the main reasons I said yes was to avoid harming the sensibilities of my close relatives, but I can also justify it along the lines that mumbling a few meaningless words in a ceremony is a reasonable trade-off for a regular shag"

or something like that.

Exactly!  (Er... I think.) 

Pragmatism - the very thing that's central to my rationalism with respect to religious belief also allows me to go along with protocol and ritual if I think it serves a practical purpose, without me feeling like I've done something hypocritical.  Remember, it's the religious person who (IMO mistakenly) believes that what you are doing is sacred and being observed by Him Up There, not the atheist/agnostic.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I don't believe in God.
    I was married in a hotel.
    My children were christened (as was I), and they have godparents. Not sure why we had them christened now, but its hardly a big deal.
    All we asked in return from the god parents was that they would look after the kids if anything happened to me and the wife.
    I celebrate Christmas insofar as we exchange presents, do the whole turkey and santa thing and put up a tree, but thats about it. Children seem to enjoy it and tbh I think its more about an occasion these days rather than anything religous.
    Is there an element of hypocrisy? hell yeah, but there are worse ways to live your life, so my conscience too, is clean.
    After death? well I'll know nothing about it so not fussed whatever they do with my corpse.

• Death to the Aristos!
  • philpub.....its not just the protocol and ritual at the ceremony is it..........its all the promises you make.....so only part of them or some of them are true......seems a shame to start a marriage on promises of liesimage

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Well obviously your own wedding is a bit different to being a bit-player in something like a baptism.  I wouldn't get married in a church or have religious vows.

• Not a shame for Phil, who for the sake of keeping his mouth shut, gets laid.

• yes baptism is different to weddings really

• What other people do is up to them as long if they can justify it to themselves (and some are very good at finding ways to do that) but if I had kids I wouldn't send them to any sort of faith school, no.

It's a different when you attend the religious ceremonies of friends or relatives-  because in that situation it isn't about you, it's about them.