Dublin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks shea..thats me too..have a good injury free run everyone and maybe on monday evening we can share our experiences on how the day went....good luck to you all...
  • I hate Exposimage

If I have to pay significant amounts of Money to enter a race then why can't they post out my Bib, it is 1 hour from my House to the RDS by car, with the combination of rain, bank holiday traffic and the frenzy around the RDS meant it took me 2 and a half frustrating hours to get there then I had to find parking, get soaked and run up and get my bib and bag and straight out again. You should not have to get stressed before a race - Please do away with mandatory attendance at Expos - It's just a con!!!!!

• yeah, it'd be much easier if they just posted the stuff out...easier on them & us most likely...prob obliged to host an expo for product promotions etc, blah, blah...

well, the weather is still kind of touch & go, so g luck:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=277785&d=1382820695

• yeah Jim, it's looking like we're in the clear (fingers crossed) weather wise now...majority of models have Dub looking goodimage...right, off to negotiate the expo now..

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Not running but was checking in to see how you guys/gals may be affected by the weather tonight/tomorrow... Good to hear you should be in the clear.

Enjoy the run and will be in for next year.

• Hi everyone finished in 3hr 56 min..over the moon...hope you all hit your targets..
  • My average pace was 9.03..a lot of congestion till we came out of the phoenix..then my knee plays up at 14 mile so it was a run 2 min walk 20 secs strategy to the end which i was able to handle..i was runner 9280..
  • Hey Shane finished in 4:41 delighted with my time as it was my first marathon but not my last! Thankfully the weather held up as did my knee, no issues only tired quads by mile 20 last 6 were hard, but the last 2 made up for it with the crowds. Had a great day and am now off to bed as I'm Wrecked! 

• I was really worried about the weather but it was a great day for a marathon and as usual there was great support all the way around the course.

I finished in 3:19, very happy (albeit a little sore and sleepy now!) image

• Jim Holmes, I couldn't agree more about the Expo!

• Hi All,

I finished in 3:57:45 and like Shane I struggled to the finish - I decided to go for 3:50 and although I started slow I was bang on target at half way but from 15 miles onwards I had to walk and drink at every water station  as I needed to take some liquid on board and couldn't do it while running. I always have a poor second half  but there was nine minutes difference between first and second half. I think I have plateaued as my last three marathons have all just been under 4 hours - This was a PB by 35 Seconds image

• Finished 03:57:45 at 9.05 per mile
    • 20 Mile Split 02:57:54 8:54 per mile
    • Half way at 01:54:16 at 8:36 per mile
    • 10Km at 00:55:03 at 8:52 per mile
  • Well done Jim, I slowed right down after mile 20, had to stop a number of times and walk for a bit. The last 2 miles were the hardest run I have ever done but also enjoyable due to the crowds cheering! Had a great day and looking forward to my next one! (not for a few months at least)

• Jim theres a good chance we were standing close to one another at finishing line...well done to yourself and shea too...agree that last 2 mile was very hard but crowds were amazing especially around walkinstown and down around milltown rd/clonskeagh rd...half way up roebuck and sweet home alabama blasting out from somewhere really gave me a lift..doing it next year again for sure as my mate wants to go for sub 4 as they missed it by 8 mins yesterday...does any of you know what website to go to that does the finish line individual photos???
  • Also when does official times come through? Got a text message yesterday evening saying i finished in 3.57.25 and my chip time was 3.56.47?? which was in sync with my wristwatch time..which time is official?
  • Jim theres a good chance we were standing close to one another at finishing line...well done to yourself and shea too...agree that last 2 mile was very hard but crowds were amazing especially around walkinstown and down around milltown rd/clonskeagh rd...half way up roebuck and sweet home alabama blasting out from somewhere really gave me a lift..doing it next year again for sure as my mate wants to go for sub 4 as they missed it by 8 mins yesterday...does any of you know what website to go to that does the finish line individual photos???
  • Shane,

They contact you diectly via e-mail to sell you the Video/Picture pack with a variety of options - if you go to www.dublinmarathon.ie and search the results you should see a video link next to your name. The results take an age to load and it looks like it is not working but it eventually returns your result. You probably passed me in the last three or four miles when I was taking a walk break - if you were in the second start group I probably finished before you as I was in the first wave - the 3:50 pacers passed me at the 24 mile mark

• I stuck with the 3.10 pacer through to College Green coming in in 3.09.02. Pleased as this is a new pb by more than 6 minutes despite having run a 3.27 marathon just over two weeks ago. Lesson learnt for me: a reduced taper seems to suit me; previously I would've done the last long run at least three weeks out but despite this marathon training cycle having had significantly less overall miles run in it than previous ones a shiny new pb is the result. 

The weather was just superb. Well done to everyone. Anyone have any marathon plans in the coming months?

• Thanks jim i will check that out..i was in wave 2 so you were over the line 10 mins or so before me..next year ill be in wave 1.the congedtion upset my pace for the first 9 miles..
  • I was surprised how uncongested wave 1 was compared to wave 2 last year - I think I am retiring for a while and moving into 1/2 Marathons - Gravity affects us heavier runners unduly 15st 10lbs is not ideal Marathon running weight when you are only 5'10" + my wife says we are not wasting another October Bank Holiday sitting around waiting for me to inflict pain on myself (she's not a runner)

• Lol..i know were your coming from..my wife doesnt want me doing another one as she said she seen some unpleasant sights of runners really suffering in that last half mile and cant understand why we put our bodies through it..my aim now is work on core strength more and ive 3 10ks and a half penciled in for spring and then half in september and dublin full marathon again...you will be back doing the full marathons again jim..your just mentally and physicalky drained at the mo...
  • The Meath Spring Half Marathon is held in Bohermeen near Navan in early March - I did it this year in 1:45 and as I live in Athboy it is quite local for me. It was well organised and was only around €25 and included the tee-shirt and loads of refreshments afterwards - Pacers at 15minute splits 1:30/1,45/2,00 etc

• Ill have a wee look at that..does it get many participants jim? Was thinking of the newry half marathon late may...
  • The website is http://www.bohermeenathleticclub.com/Half.html - There were a 1000 altogether but this includes a 5Km that was held the same day- the results show 641 finishers

• Hi guys,

I went quiet in the build up as I wasn't sure I would run... but I did and improved on my first marathon time by 11 minutes!! 4:23:57 and over the moon. I absolutely loved it. I think due to lack of expectation and pressure I enjoyed it more than London.... very lucky with the weather too. I'll be telling friends to do Dublin!

• Congratulations everyone, so pleased everyone got what they were hoping for. I had a fantastic day, and thought the crowds and the atmosphere were just brilliant. Came in at 3.31 in the end, and really really pleased! Hope all the achy legs are starting to feel better!

• Still sore scoopy...physio tonight...thank god im off work this week..im mentally drained too...great time by the way...
  • Can someone explain why my finish time is 1 min 4 secs slower than my chip time??
  • shane, your finish time is the time it takes you to reach the finish line from when the starting gun goes, so once it was fired it took you 1 min & 4 secs to cross the starting line as there were obviously lots of other competitors between you & the start line (ie. only someone standing right at the start line once the starting gun is fired will have a finishing time & a chip time that are the same); whereas your chip time is the time it took you to run from the starting line to the finishing line (the marathon distance.without the extra bit it takes you to get from your starting standing position to cross the starting line).

some sad news re one of our fellow runners: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ricki-savage-who-collapsed-after-2657079      http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-marathon-runner-dies-following-collapse-on-monday-29712049.html  he would have been in & around the pace group I ran with...something similar happened in the Dublin Half Marathon in September too...

• Good racing, everyone.

Unfortunately, Dublin didn't go too well for me despite all the good training I had put in. But I guess anything can happen when you run a marathon.

I found the headwind along the looong drag after Kilmainham Gaol really tough going & it really slowed me down. I was glad when we finally turned out of the wind and looking forward to getting back to my planned pace. Unfortunately my calf 'went' just after 17 miles so I had to walk much of the rest of the route, with the exception of the last 2 miles which I managed to run at race pace with a sprint fiinish.

I made sure I soaked up the atmosphere, interacting with the crowds; doing a really bad Irish Jig; blowing kisses at my adoring fans; telliing people to call me 'Hopalong'; hopping a bit; waving and giving a few 'low fives' to some kiddies.

I loved the Irish accents and friendly greetings/encouragement. Especially the guy that told me 'It's only yer leg' when I told him why I wasn't running & who then made me start running again for a while.

I finished in 4:57 - not bad considering I walked about 7 of the the last 9 miles.

I was very emotional at the finish - in the same way as I did for my 1st marathon i.e. the pleasure of completing a huge challenge. No feelings of disappointment.

After crossing the finish line there was a totally strange co-incidence which was truly lovely. I was chatting to an American lady for whom it was her first marathon. She just happend to mention that she was due to run Dublin 9 years ago had to pull out due to injury. When she told me this I realised that she was the lady I had spoken to in a local running shop in Hove about 7/8 weeks ago.

I'm not at all disappointed by my result as I know that it was just an unfortunate injury which could have happened to anyone and 7 miles of walking was bound to affect my finish time by quite a bit. Plus I got another lovely huge marathon medal to add to my collection.

I had a lovely time in Dublin and managed to get some serious sight-seeing in yesterday. Probably not really what my calf needed, though.. image. I missed out on a few of the sights but maybe that's an excuse to go back again!

I have been iciing my leg today.  it hasn't dropped off yet so the guy that that told me 'It's only yer leg' was right!!!!

Hey ho! Just one of those things.

The only disappointment for me was that by the time I finished there were no small race shirts left. The medium is huge and totally swamps me.image