Snowdonia Marathon 2014

ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Well as the leaders near the end of this years race it's time to start the thread for next year.

So here it is ........image

Comments

• Well done Chrissi may decide to have another go at the beast next year I thought you were running this year? X

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

no not running this year have just being doing hslfs and trying to get fitness to a good consistant level instesd of my usual pattern of race then letting mileagedrop then having to start over again.  i've managed it ok so far and after conwy next month i'll start to slowly push up to marathon level. the big challenge then is to stay at thst level for next years 3 marathons.

will yoj be back next year?

• I think I might chrissi I have missed being part of this lovely group x

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

you know i think this group is a huge part of what makes SNOD so special x

• I will be back. Have some unfinished business with the last hill.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Hi guys image

Well with 5 coasters now it'd be silly not to go for a set of 6 wouldn't itimage

Similar aim to you this year Chrissi of not to let my fitness levels drop back so far that I have to start all over again next year. May be easier said than done with specific running fitness as 2014 is also going to be my return to the darkside of triathlon!
  • I'm in. I also have issues with that last hill and downhill that need to be settled. With the experience of having completed both my first marathon and SNOD, I now know what to expect. I'll also be able to do a full training program for it as opposed to a condensed 8 week one.

A quick question that someone on this grand forum may be able to answer, for most of next year I will be in Helmand, Afghanistan. Which is pretty much flat and a tad hot in stark contrast to SNOD. What would be the best way to train the legs for it on a treadmill?

• Thanks for starting the 2014 edition, Chrissi. I'm going to try to come back as I too have an issue with miles 22 - 23 to be worked out along with my poor downhill skills. It was great seeing many Snods and getting to here their many stories.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Cheers for starting the thread Chrissi. Good to meet you Pete.

I stated after the race, and am putting it in black and white here.

Sub 3:30 next year.......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Chimney, that's my aim if I can overcome the lack of hills in my training program.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

LoveEndures, I moved to the Peak District to get hills. image

Was that a bit extreme?

(Ok, there may have been a few other reasons too).

Where in the country are you?

• Well I am in York at the moment, so I've been spoilt for choice when it came to hills this year. Come Spring, I will be in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. So my hill training will be done on a treadmill in 40 degree heat which umm is just a tad different to SNOD lol.

• Oh hello, new forum.Let's start a list before Trex returns from the Nantlle Ridge

3:30 Chimney

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

You'll get in trouble Brer, I'm telling.........

Sorry LE, memory issues. perfection would be lots of quality training over a variety of terrains/surfaces/ascents/descents/distances etc. At the other end of the scale is sitting on your backside doing nothing. So anything more than the second is at least going in the right direction! If a treadmill is your only source shy of doing laps around a flat camp, so be it, trying to do what you can about descents. Speak to the PT's, see what they can set up for you? 

• Chimney.... My plan, a the moment will be to keep the quality (ish) long runs in place. by maybe do a say a certain distance on the flat grounds and then nip into the gym and do a certain distance at a certain gradient on the treadmills and mix it up that way. I'm sure I will figure something out. In the mean time I will have to make the most of the beautiful countryside on my doorstep.

• First snowdonia marathon this year and will definiely be back it has to be the best I've done loved it ok a couple of steep bits but so much down hill the way I like to run and the weather was spot on can't find it on the events listings to give a review????

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Suzanne, entries usually open on Jan 1st, get in quick.......

• Thanks for starting the 2014 post, Chrissie - will intend to post more frequently this time image

Definitely back for another attempt in 2014, along with another 39 marathons in 2014 image

Panad - that's what I said when I had 5; the problem is that I now have 7 so need to push on for 12 image ??

T-Rex (or Brer!) - put me down for 3:50 next year: not sure I can do 3:41 again as I've no idea how I did it!!!

Juleswill1 - I couldn't find it either, but will keep searching as I usually post a review for my favourite races, of which this is pretty much top of the list.

Suzanne - the last couple of years entries have opened online on 1st January, but keep your eyes on the official site as they normally confirm race date and entry opening a couple of weeks after the previous race finishes; alternatively, someone will post on here as soon they know, and you get the benefit of great chat as well!!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Oh, and along with the sub 3:30, I'll learn a few words of Welsh as well

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'll be a back to make up a set of 8 coasters.  Must also make a proper sub-4 attempt.

I'll announce now that I intend SNOD 14 to be my 100th marathon (and ultra), which means I've got to do 11 others as well in Mar-May and Aug-Oct 2014 (the only months I race). Four ultras planned so far.  I think the rest had better be marathons.

Sorry, Run Jono, thought you said 50 marathons in 2014 ...

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt that SNOD will be a permanent fixture in both mine&Mr panad's calendars for the foreseeable future..

All being well this year I plan to be back on track, training properly etc etc, and have my eyes on sub 3:45 next year. Of course life (and dangerous drivers) may have other plans as they clearly did this year!

Brer given that you must be on for around 25 marathons by the end of 2013 i'd've thought 50 would be a good challenge for next yearimage call it punishment for touching/starting/tampering with the list!!

TRex bring on the 100th marathon party image
  • After watching on TV last night, thought - that looks tough, subsequently getting very tempted to have a go!!  One of my favourite parts of world so will keep my eye out for registration!! image

• Count me in. Really missed it this year. You can never have enough coastersimage   

• Hi all

I will be back again,i really need coaster number 6 and a quicker time than this year but no predictions yet!

• Loved everything about it this year.

I'll be back next year probably to curse that last up & down again, but hopefully be ready for it next year. Really want to be able to enjoy the last downhill.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Oh I definitely want to come back, I loved this marathon!!

The last hill nearly had me, my calves were caving in and one last isotonic drink seemed to get me going again and whoosh down the last hill.  5.15, need to come back for under 5, I was on for that until that last climb! I had nowhere near as much training as I should have so I am happy as larry with achieving it.

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can