What is Sir Alex Fergusson on about?

Part of the controversy of the man's autobiography relates to a story about how he ran the rule over- and rejected-  a player who evetually signed for a rival club.

Part of his analysis was that the player ran with his knees and with a straight back, as opposed to running with his hips - and that this would make him injury prone later in his career.

Is this just another way of describing heel vs midfoot striking or is there something else to it? 

Comments

• It probably means that he had a row with him

• It's about how you generate your movement. Generate power from your hips rather than from the lower legs... it sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

• Googled it andhe's talking about Jordan Henderson.  Frankly it'sbollocks.  

• Flob wrote (see)
    He never picked a player who wasn't worth the money so however he describes it- he Murat have had a good way of judging them.

The  rosey tinted specs of a Fergie Fan- Djemba Djemba, Tiabi, Veron, to name just three, Every manager fails with transfers - Fergies best ever signing was Howard Webbimage

He is now just portraying himself as an old bitter fool, slagging off anyone he can in his autobiography, Keane and Beckham have been slated, IF it hadnt been for them Fergie would have been out of the door years ago.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Well, he's got a book to sell I suppose. I wsa just curious about what he was driving at with his gait analysis thing

• The goldfish memory of a Scouser.....Fergie would have been jobless if not for Mark Robins. Period.

Its laughable to suggest any other individual, and I'm including genius of the ilk of Cantona and Ronaldo, could have hastened his departure in a period of  unparalleled domestic domination. ...just like Liverpool in the late 70's/early '80's only better...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

fergie had 27yrs or so so its easy to find a few bad purchases

Dalglish had 18months second time around and his hit rate wasnt fantastic was it. though he did endorse a range of t-shirts.image

It could be argued that fergie made keane and becks the players they became rather than the other way round.

anyway that said i dont think he should have talked about about henderson this way.

• What ever you say about Fergie and his Man Utd team, he made a lot of people in happy in Essex and Surrey, in the same way that Manchester City has made people in Manchester happy

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DASH RIPROD wrote (see)

The goldfish memory of a Scouser.....Fergie would have been jobless if not for Mark Robins. Period.

+1 If Robins hadn't clinched the winner in that FA cup tie away at Forest then Fergie would almost definitely have been shown the door...  I bet now even Robins wishes he'd put that header wide image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I expect now that Henderson is going to have the most analysed gait in the country.

• He probably wouldn't have ranked Michael Johnson as any good as a runner.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)
    It could be argued that fergie made keane and becks the players they became rather than the other way round.

I am old enough to recall watching Keane play for Forest and he was awaesome. Quite frankly he would have been a top, top player playing elsewhere. maybe wouldn't have won so many trophies.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Agree max, I lived in notts then, he was good, he got a lot better at utd though.

• Living in the north west I am firmly in the anti united camp but would have to admit that Keane is one of my favourite players of the last 20 years. Obviously the Alfie incident is a huge blot but always enjoyed watching him.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

keane was excellent (in fact i can give him no higher praise than i think he was as good as robson)  but at forest they went down with a wimper at utd he won the treble. as good as he was in the 2 season at forest Keane improved once he left forest.   fergie was already winning titles before he came along and we won plenty once he left. 

anyway it was cantona who made fergie.image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The surprise is the suggestion Henderson wasn't signed because of his running style.

Just saying he's a very average player and not worth 20m+ would have been an easier get out.

• Cantona is most definitely a 'top, top player'. By that I mean up there with Pele, Zindane, Dalglish, Maradona, Ronaldo x 2, Captain Marvel Robson, Messi and certainly not Steven Gerrard (a top player but not top, top player).

SG - for once I am in total agreement with you image

• I think that's the whole point about Fergie - yes, he was extremely successful but he really need to be such a miserable, grudging arsehole about it?

I rarely saw him give anyone any credit for beating Utd - it was always Utd that played badly, not the other team that played well. He used to do this sort of pretend praise thing when they'd just walloped some minnow of a side but that was about as far as he could bring himself to go.

Meanwhile I continue to await the day when Neil Warnock doesn't claim his side lost a game because of the referee...

• Ferguson was phenomenal at getting results, but in many ways, he's a horrible human being.

His long-running spat with the bbc was a good example.  He denied Man United fans, and football fans in general, the opportunity to hear his views on MotD and other bbc programmes for year, just because the beeb had asked some awkward questions.

His abuse of power in press conferences was dictatorial.  If the press had any balls, they'd have boycotted HIM.

• JPenno wrote (see)
    Flob wrote (see)
    He never picked a player who wasn't worth the money so however he describes it- he Murat have had a good way of judging them.

The  rosey tinted specs of a Fergie Fan- Djemba Djemba, Tiabi, Veron, to name just three, Every manager fails with transfers - Fergies best ever signing was Howard Webbimage

He is now just portraying himself as an old bitter fool, slagging off anyone he can in his autobiography, Keane and Beckham have been slated, IF it hadnt been for them Fergie would have been out of the door years ago.

BEBE

• /members/images/734702/Gallery/images.jpg

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdTP_N3vKfWqyjInJnuEdkFW5obnIg3YzMRcRxXoaw5aOLeU4U2N0Zyg

top top top player,won them many a game along with all the extra time they get when their getting beat.

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Cantona is most definitely a 'top, top player'. By that I mean up there with Pele, Zindane, Dalglish, Maradona, Ronaldo x 2, Captain Marvel Robson, Messi and certainly not Steven Gerrard (a top player but not top, top player).

SG - for once I am in total agreement with you image

Pele, Zidane (maybe), Maradona, Messi - all a class above Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Dalglish who are all a class aove Cantona, Robson and Gerrard.   Cantona was like John Barnes, phenomenal for his club in domestic competition but didn't stand out internationally or against big European opposition.