Need help with my marathon schedule

I am a first time marathon runner.   I'm an average runner...I run at 9:20 minute miles.  Would love to get faster though.   I have ran half a marathon, but was running at 10 minute miles back in 2011.  I run about 15 miles a week and weight train on my days off.  So this is my predicament.   I am following the Hal Higdon training programme....Novice 2.  I have been advised to start using the programme now and then revert back to the beginning, to prevent injuries and to help me build up.  My predicament is this.  By the time I get to the start of my 18 week programme (mid December), I will be running half a marathon.  I would have already completed 15 miles and then the week after I run half a marathon.  When I re-start Hal Higdon's training scedule, do I go right back to week one, where I start at 8 miles on a weekend?  It seems quite a fair amount to jump back?    However, I am aware that I don't want to over do it, with all my training!   Also, on my days off I weight train.  I will still continue to weight train twice a week.  I will probably only have one day of rest.  Is this ok?  I would hate to loose my definition in my arms, as I do enjoy my body building.  Thanks guys,

Comments

• I should think so. Most programs have rest days or cross train days. 

I just repeat a maintenance program which is essentially the last couple of weeks of the half marathon program until I get to the same point in the marathon training. 

• So at present my Sunday run is 13miles and will start to ramp up in Jan/Feb and Wed I run a tempo run (3 miles warm up, 3/4 miles half marathon tempo, 3/4 miles cool down).

• I'd not go back to the beginning - that doesn't make sense to me.

Take a step back - but I'd maybe repeat the end of the plan - or the last 3 or 4 weeks or so. So you're keeping the distance up that you've worked up to - but you're not stressing yourself by running that distance every weekend.

It could be that you do get used to it - but I'd play safe - and listen to your body.
  • Go to garmin connect and look at training plans. Some excellent ones there and set for beginner, Inters and advanced.