Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Badbark

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Good luck Badbark, nice to hear the wind has died down.

Birch, I'm now thinking of giving Manchester marathon a go myself if I don't manage to get the go ahead for London. The pain of Abingdon is now a distant memory.

Although I don't fancy running 26.2 miles on cobbled streets!

Gul- have you decided on a marathon yet?
  • PMJ - my schedule is only going from week to week at the moment - it's just 31 weeks to the Kent Roadrunner marathon, which looks the favourite at the moment.
    Badbark - good luck with the Dublin marathon and hitting your sub 2:55 target.
    Moof - My preference is for RoadRunner mara. It will give me a few extra weeks; it's on a Saturday and not too far from my brother's house. Probably best not to mention it to Mrs GD just yet. I'd better update the list.

• Good luck Badbark!! 

• Oct 27 - Frankfurt - Jools - sub 3
    Nov 17 - Gosport HM - Lorenzo - 1.27.xx (optimistically)
    Dec 8 - Newcastle Racecourse HM - Minni - sub 1.30
    Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15 
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion
    Apr 6 – Paris mara – Mennania – Sub 3
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers TBA
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

For those thinking about Manchester, I did it myself this year so give a little feedback.  Overall it was good.  It's a postal number system so no expo.  The tram stop is a few hundred meters from the start/finish so easy to park further away and commute in or there is pay-to-park to MUFC.  The baggage and runners area was smooth.  The start is a bit of a casual affair with no pen system in place but it seemed to work.  The course is overall very flat except a few canal/railway bridges.   The only bad point of the course is 2 turnarounds in the first few miles which cause a little slowing.  Otherwise it is a fast course.  It mostly in urban or suburban streets.  The support is sporadic but it is very good in a few areas on route and toward the finish.  And I got the biggest medal of any marathon so far.  Overall I had a good experience and enjoyed it.

Go well Badbark.

Today marks the day at which I start the second half of being V40.  Which means I get to eat cakeimage

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Bike It.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Many happy returns to BI image

Speedy, that's a quick HM in less than ideal conditions, and congrats on the county gold.

Sounds like a fantastic result for Jools... really looking forward to the details!

Solid 10 miler from SB, and a good parkrun from OO.

And while I'm sat at my desk, BB is pounding the streets of Dublin. Go well! image

A slow 6 for me yesterday morning to ease back into it as the end of this coldy thing lingers. Still not shifted it properly, so more easy miles for the start of this week. Lordshill 10 miles next weekend, so want to make sure I'm properly recovered to give that a good crack.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PMJ- yes I broke the hour for 10 miles 2 years ago in November and will do the same race again this year (Brampton to Carlisle 17th November). After a poor year my form has improved of late but I'm racing less, except for the weekly parkrun where I'm now top of the male table. I don't think I'm capable of breaking the hour again this year (or possibly ever) 61-62 should be achievable based on my GNR time.

I'm doing VLM again next year but I have no further ambitions for this distance other than go on qualifying for GFA for as long as I can. I know you have a big V50 marathon target but your abilities over that distance are way better than mine- no question about that.  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats on becoming V45 Bike it. For what it's worth, I won more prizes as a V45 than any other catagory- so fill your boots young fella! image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hope Badbark has a good day!

Hello, thread, and sorry for the delayed in reporting.   My rubbish phone can just about do email and FB, but struggles with the forums.

Anyway, in the end, it was all remarkably simple.  I felt calm and confident, even when I saw the weather forecast.  The start was pretty congested and so my first km (4.24) was my slowest, but I gradually made the time up (as you know image).  Although my legs were a bit heavy for the first 10km from the taper, from 10-30km I felt really strong and was running pretty even splits.  I'm pretty sure my fastest 5km followed, and at 35km I still felt great.  I began to feel things a bit at 37km, and did lose about 10s/km in the last 4km, losing a chance of a sub 2.59, but frankly I didn't really care.  When you've waited 6 years for a result, it's just such a sweet moment that the finer details of how much you broke the barrier by don't really matter.  I quite literally woke up several times in the night just to have another smile!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Joolska - well done.  Yours is a great story of how persaverence and hard work can go to deliver a goal you've been after for a long time. Unfortunatelly for you the story has not been easy with a near miss last year and illness affecting VLM.  Fantastic result for you.  You've just put so much hard work into that goal that it is really inspiring.  Dreams do come true!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Joolska - Brilliant. Inspirational stuff, well done..

SB

• Well done Jools on finally getting just sub 3!!!!!

Been very busy at home and not been able to keep up with the thread, so I hope everyone is keeping on, keeping on! I've had a bit of a luke warm summer in terms of running, which I think has been affected by many late nights setting up my potential new business (I'll post a link up soon).

I did the Amsterdam half last week, which started off fine hitting a constant 6.25/6.30 pace for the first 10k then I died a bit in the last half and finished in 1.28.40. But I guess that is everything catching up on me plus the drive to Holland the day before. The only other notable race was a 10k in Derby early October in 38.52.

I agree with what BikeIt said about the Manchester marathon, a well run flat race with a big race atmostphere. I've entered again for next year, but notice it is 3 weeks earlier on 6th April. Looks like training will start early Dec!

• Laying my cards on the table here early!

Oct 27 - Frankfurt - Jools - sub 3
    Apr 6 – Manchester mara – knight rider – Sub 3
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers TBA

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Big congrats on what looks like a text book sub 3 mara.

In other news, today Maria McCambridge won the ladies Dublin marathon with 2:38:53, her half splits were 1:19:26 & 1:19:27!!

Anyone know how Badbark got on in the fair city? Have to do that one day.

Bike it - Have your cake and devour it! Many happy returns.

•  

Great result yesterday Jools. I think you have put a smile on a lot of faces. I've only been around long enough to hear the last couple of years journey to your sub3 - lots of dedication and perseverance shown in achieving this.  image

I want to learn some Joolska pacing

• Happy birthday bike-it. Cake time.

• Happy Birthday - Bike It!!

Jools - See, there was nothing to it, was there? Just go at an even pace and stick to it. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Results are available from Dublín...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Marvellous, Jools, just marvellous. So pleased for you !

Happy b'day to Bikeit, & welcome back KR (thanks both for the Manc feedback, although not sure I like the prospect of canal & railway bridges)! 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Drunk already! 2:54:0x Chuffed to feck! Well done jools, you have worked hard for it! Report hopefully on Wednesday. More drink now. Did I mention I was pished?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

You didn't mention you were pissed, and it doesn't showimage  Big congrats, Badbark and enjoy the continuing celebrations image

• feckin great Badbark - enjoy the booze!!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well done Badbark another fantastic achievement. You've really put in the miles for this campaign and have got your just reward. Any chance of another link to your training plan (when your sober)

Enjoy your beers!

Congrats again to joolska on a brilliant effort. Your splits showed a nice controlled start and pretty even the rest of the way. It's nice to crack that sub 3, pressure off.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Congrats to BB - just reward for the massive miles. Enjoy your hard-eanred reward!

• image Great result Jools, and looks like near perfect pacing. I'm very happy for you. Well deserved as others have also said. Can you pace me round my crack at sub3 next year? Might even make it to Frankfurt next time...

Storming result again there Badbark. Dublin isn't the fastest of courses yet that's a wonderful time. Enjoy the craic!

happy birthday BI image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Happym birthday, Bike It!

And superb result for you, BadBark.  Great stuff.  Makes me very happy popping into this forum to see the hard earned results being delivered where they are due.  Oh, er, not to mean that where they haven't been obtained, they aren't due of course... (gets hat...)

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Happym birthday, of course, being an extra special version of birthday with an added "m" for good measure.

Wish I could edit these days.

• image I'm happym to hear from you MsE.

My groinal problems (yes, it is a word if I keep using it) appear to have settled down a bit. Cycling at the weekend along with bending myself into inhuman positions over a Swiss ball seems to have helped so I celebrated with 35mins of Gul-esque field running this morning in the rain. Everything seems to be still in order. Some cross-training tonight (archery with the family - apparently we should actually spend time together...?!). 

In the meantime I've decided to enter the Fred Whitton challenge to motivate myself to get some serious biking done over the winter - I've just stuck the elevation profile up next to my desk to maintain a frisson of fear. Yikes. 

• I'm feeling inspired, so.....cards on the table -

Oct 27 - Frankfurt - Jools - sub 3
    Apr 6 – Manchester mara – knight rider – Sub 3
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes
    May 31 - Stockholm - SJ - sub 3:15 with match retention
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    October 26 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3