Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

That's one heck of a 2014 you've got lined up there SJ! My sort of sister-in-law (my brother-in-law's long term partner) did the Fred Whitton a year or two back. She's a keen fell runner and swimmer too, but would probably claim her cycling to be her strongest discipline. It was a major undertaking though! Most people would be content with that as their main challenge for the year, but clearly you're made of sterner stuff! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Bike It - happy birthday.

OO - I think that V45 is a northern thing, they dont have many V45 prizes down here, its V40 or V50.

Badbark - well done, I remember you putting in some big miles last winter, so looks like it paid off.

SJ - all that lot (and the training along the way)will get you in trouble with the SPO. I thought you had to wriggle a bit for an Outlaw entry too.

• Double post....?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Jools I've known a lot of great female runners down the years, but I've not known any personally who broke the 3 hour mark- it's a truely exceptional performance. When you pulled out of VLM this year I had my doubts but I appreciate now how determined you are to put that behind you and work even harder to meet a goal which is at the very limit of your abilities. For what it's worth, since I got that monkey off my back  (the sub 3 marathon) I likewise have no ambition to go further even though I plan to do at least 1 marathon a year as long as I can.

Sorry to neglect you Badbark yours was also a great performance.

TR- what no prizes, you'd best move up North... 

• Badbark - respect. Lots of big miles, and plenty going on in your life at the moment. Great result.

• TR, I've managed to wangle a view brownie points (my natural charm and animal magnetism). I'm cashing it in while I can by getting events booked. 

Abbers, the Fred is definitely a toughy but it's only riding a pushbike at the end of the day....image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Jools - I've already said elsewhere but since this is the official place I'll say it again - bloody well done.  Fantastic.  Brilliant blog too. 

BB - well done to you too.

BI - Happy Birthday.

Updating the list below and decided to drop the half in December and will do either the marathon or 50k instead.  It will not be a pb attempt!  Ran the Jedburgh HM yesterday and the aim was not to race but it all went a bit pear shaped anyway when I started to feel a bit ill half way through making second half, into the headwind, pretty crap.  Thankfully I'd left my garmin at home so had no idea what kind of pace I was running.  Ended up with 1:35.xx for 8th lady and 2nd v35 (Scottish vet categories) and I think we got first ladies team too thanks to my team mate running 1:20! (OO that was Jo GO).  So not a bad day out but I've got a cold now.

Oct 27 - Frankfurt - Jools - sub 3
    Nov 17 - Gosport HM - Lorenzo - 1.27.xx (optimistically)
    Dec 8 - Newcastle Racecourse Marathon or 50K - Minni
    Jan 19 - Brass Monkey - Minni - 1:29.xx
    Feb 2 - Kaiser HM - MsE first race post-injury
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15 
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion
    Apr 6 – Paris mara – Mennania – Sub 3
    Apr 6 – Manchester mara – knight rider – Sub 3
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:05, Lorenzo, Minni - 3:10, Abbers TBA
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15
    May 31 - Stockholm - SJ - sub 3:15 with match retention
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    July - Minni - Thunder Run - winning ladies teamimage
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx
    October 26 - Frankfurt - SJ - sub 3

• Badbark - An excellent result, well-deserved. It's great when all that hard work pays off.

Slokey - What, you want someone to pace you round your crack?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Is that the girls who won the Coastal Minni? Nice to be able rely on your running pals when you have an off day.

Plodding 5 miles for me this morning  

• Yes Ant. I'd normally have to pay good money for that sort of thing...!

Nice thunder run target Minni!

• Well this is civilised. I can post on the thread whilst pedalling my spinning bike.  It's the future!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi all, going to be peaking over your shoulders at this for a while for inspiration. Want to do a sub 3:30 at Snowdonia next year, so need to aim for a 3:15-3:20 flat mara ( probably Abingdon ) which means I really need to start doing more than just going out for a run. Best this year was a 1:38 half on the way to training for this years Abo but then got injured image 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • 14 miles yesterday lunchtime to bring up 200.49 miles for October with 3 more running days to go.

I see the Newcastle Town Moor marathon was won by Nigel Rackham aged 51. It was the BMAF champs so no surprise a lot of vets were running but a quality run to do 2:36 with second place in 2:42.

• SJ - sounds a perfect set up!!

Wonderful stuff from Badbark - what a great weekend for this thread. image

Love the targets Minni. Good result at Jedburgh - glad you beat those other 35 year olds to clinch the silver in the vets category.

Welcome to Chimney - how long have you been running for?

My legs have finally recovered from last week's squash which is just as well as this week is peak week pre-Gosport. Easy run yesterday, then hilly 8 miles this morning which felt pretty good.

With the demise of my Garmin, I've turned to Strava to log my runs. What a fantastic app - anyone else using it?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes OO. She's absolutely flying. I'm hoping she's going to be part of our Thunder Run team.  She was crowned World Champion in her duathlon (aquathon? swim and run) event at Hyde Park in the summer. I've started training with her a bit albeit a fair bit behind! 

PMJ - yes there were some speedy times for the men but not so much for the women, 3:24 was the winning time there. And the other local marathon on Sunday saw the fastest lady in 3:30.  I should have run a marathon at the weekend! 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I've downloaded strava because everyone seems to be talking about it but not sure what to do now. Dummies guide please?! I noticed that around me there'a mostly cyclists listed.  Do you need to join a team or something, or is that optional? 

Do we need a Strava consistently consistent sub 3:15 team......? image

• Bike It - many happy returns for yesterday.
    Abbers - good to hear you're easing back into it.
    Jools - huge congratulations on breaking the 3 hour mark. That must be very sweet after waiting patiently and training diligently for so long. And it must be said that it is a phenomenal achievement. Keep smiling!
    KR - really good to hear from you again and know that you're still racing. Look forward to finding out about your business venture - hope it's a success.
    Badbark - Fantastic result - you sound rather pleased with that! Again, lots of hard work paid off.
    SJ - nice introduction to field running - I hope they were lapsimage
    Chimney - welcome to the thread. Tell us a bit more about your training and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice!
    PMJ - very nice lunchtime run.
    Minni - I'm sure I've heard of Strava, but haven't a clue what it is.
    I did 12 easy miles this morning and spotted a heron at the same place going out and coming back (me, not the heron) to earn some bonus points.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good birthday wishes.  I think I had as many pieces of cake as Badbark had beers.  Sadly not any V45 catagories that I am aware of in races around here.

Congratulations to Badbark - always difficult to get the work in when you've got a new baby, but you've managed to get the work in and crack the time you wanted.  Excellent running performance and drinking performance. BTW can you remind me was it last year or the year before you did sub-3:10 at Dublin?  

Lorenzo - yes I have used Strava for cycling stuff for a few weeks at the start of October.   I used it because I forgot my Garmin actually.  I love the route segments which you can race against others who have done the routes before.  I'm the leader on one route and have a few 2nd and 3rds as well - it gives you a bit to play for if you want to do some high intensity stuff.

Hi Chimney - looks like you are a climber as well from your pic.  Have you run the half marathon faster previously or any marathons before?

20 minutes run yesterday and the leg is a tad soreimage

• I see the ASICS target 26.2 competition is now open. Anyone thinking of applying? It did cross my mind to have a go, but I really don't want anyone messing with my schedule after it's taken so long to get it right! I mean, I'm sure it could be better but I don't want to risk it going horribly wrong.

• Same here Gul - it is probably too much of a clash of training approaches, so I don't think I will enter. I did last year so maybe I am just a sore loser.

On the subject of sore, I still have a sore / tight right calf and am no longer treating it as a phantom taper symptom. Off to get some massage this evening

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Don't think I'll apply either unless there's an 'injured runner on a comeback' catagory. 

• Congratulations to the resolute Joolska.  I don't know how many '3:0somethings' you've run over the past few years.  About 28, I think?  Fantastic tenacity and determination.  Kudos to you.

• Well done BadBark to run that time given the conditions on not the fastest course. There must be a couple of minutes to come off that time on the right day image

And Joolska, absolutely delighted for you as we all know how much this means to you. You must be on an absolute high. And we know who's leading the sub 3 bus at London now image

• Good early morning run from you as always Gul. Good to see your name on the list of races for next May image.

I think the Asics Targert 26.2 is a good competition having been through the process personally. At the end of the day it bagged me my first sub 3.15 mara! Steve knows his stuff as far as coaching goes, so I would recommend it to anyone interested.

Hopefully going down the Club tonight for the first time in about 3 months - just hope they have come up with a few new routes.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gul - I think you could qualify for one of the Asics 6 coaches rather than a coachee. image

I won't be entering. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Ah, no VLM for me next year as I've got an orchestra rehearsal that Sunday.  I have toyed with the idea of Paris, etc., but actually think now might be a sensible time to take a break from marathons, at least for the spring.  I've done 2 marathon campaigns back-to-back and so focusing on halfs would be nice: LSR of a max of 18M image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lunchtime run today. 6 hilly miles (400 ft elevation gain) at 7.19 pace. Weather was perfect for the first time in ages today. I don't do heat or wind, quite like rain but it was sunny and cool today. Had that nice feeling where it felt good to be working hard uphill and solid on the flat.

Work colleague wants to do intervals at the track tomorrow. He's never done them on a track before and I only did my first last week; should be interesting on tired legs.

SB

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SB - That's a solid lunchtime run there! Enjoy your track intervals. What intervals are you planning on doing? Not something I've ever done and I live within a mile of my club, how slack am I.

Badbark - I am relatively new on here but glad you had a great result in the fair city. I would love to hear your thoughts on the course as I grew up near Inchicore and I see that it passes through there. I presume you are still on a high and enjoying the craic?

Gul - Nice mileage again! Is there going to be any prep races for you before your marathon?

AR - Hope that calf behaves itself soon!! When do you fly to NYC?

5 wet and windy miles last night and a hilly lunchtime 5k run for me today. I haven't run up this particular hill for a wee while and it hurt real bad. I am going to get back into the habit of running that route once a week as I clearly need it! Have decided not to race a 15k this weekend as it is on a ghastly course and the last time I did it I vowed never again!!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nice little trot there SB, and GM getting in some harder miles too.

Another 6 lunchtime miles to add to the mix here; still not feeling as easy as it should as the the end of this virus lingers (everyone at chez Abbers still having coughing fits), but I need to keep in some description of training before the Lordshill 10 miles on Sunday morning. I have a vague ambition of trying to be within sight of the 9 mile marker as TR is finishing, but it may be a forlorn hope at this rate! image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - Sunday indeed, should be good. How fast do you think you would be if you feel a bit healthier by then ? I've no idea how flat it is and it could be windy, but I'll kick it hard and hope to bag the sub60.

Jools- no VLM !!!!!!! good job you bagged it Sunday then.