London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi Cascita and everyone. I have been following this thread as I am also attempting to go from 0 to 26.2 in around 6 months. I started applying for the VLM ballot about 5 years ago back when I was much fitter and never got in. So when the acceptance pack dropped through my letterbox a few weeks ago I did not know how I felt about it, so I quickly paid my entrance fee before I could talk myself out of it. I am now on week 3 of my training plan and managed a whopping 3.5 miles yesterday lol. Looking forward to speaking with you all and hopefully getting some help and inspiration along the way.

• Good Jason, from what people say if a proper plan is followed there won't be a problem, and you seem to have some prior experience. I'm sure you will be fine!

• Great work Jason....that's a whole whopping 3.5 miles more than you did 4 weeks ago so be proud! I did 5.02 today (yes, that 0.2 is important) and I feel like like I have finally achieved something good, but it's taken me 8 weeks. And I'm not yet running the whole time, but my run/walk and general bitch all the way seems to be working for me.

I'm forward to hearing how Wenty did this weekend at Amsterdam too! 

• Hi everyone. I too am "running" london next year. I ran brighton in 2011 in 5:08 n not enough training but nothing hurt after!

I'm aiming for 4:15 but I haven't done much running lately, just the gym. Spending the next few weeks upping my mileage - did a 5 miles today just under 12min mile pace as my long slow run although I thing in a few weeks I'll need to be doing these around 10.5/11min miles? Anyone know?!

Looking forward to having people to motivate and help keep me motivated image

• Maybe image your LSR's are by definition slow image but it just depends i guess on how quick you get on your other runs.  It depends on how quick i guess your other runs are, if they are quicker then as long as the LSR is slower then them you can maybe speed it up, but a lot of it is just about building endurance at the moment and actually time on your feet is more important than actual distance so it could be that slower is better as you are actually on your feet running for longer as you are running for an hour in your 5 miles now if you speed up but don't increase the distance you are only running for 50-55 minutes.... So not really building up your endurance. Sometimes speed isn't what it's all about

• Hey BT, funny you should say that cos I was out with a friend yesterday on my weekend 'long' run and she said exactly the same. We went on a circular route than meant I had to do just over 5 miles, but I surprised myself and did more of the 'run' than I did 'walk' (still managed to get on plenty of bitching though!) AND could talk to her.....it took 1 hour 8 minutes but that doenst matter...I did it! It gave me a huge boost cos I have been feeling really down about not improving image

So I am going to try and work on that theory of spending more time on my feet and less time worrying about the distance/pace/speed and so on.....(I promised her I wouldnt look at my Garmin at all on the way round)

So Bam86 I hope that all makes sense. What I am trying to say is I agree with BT hahah!!

Oh yeah. My friend persuaded me to enter the Silverstone half on 2nd March too - to build up for London. Gulp! So now I've done a 5km timed parkrun on the Saturday just gone (didnt quite come last!!), I have a 10k race on 24th November and a Half in March. How did this happen!! image

• Cascita, your training plan must be similar to mine. I am too doing a 10K on 24th November and am trying to convince my wife to run the Silverstone half with me in March. I think this will be ideal training for London and also get some race experience.

• Haha BT maybe I took the LSR a little too literally?! I just figured to start off training gently and see where I'm at. I aimed for 12 min miles yesterday and was 12:20 into torrential rain/wind along the seafront and then 11 min miles back with it behind me - unintentionally!

I'm planning to increase the length of time of LSR by 15mins each week over the next few weeks and then will be joining in with RUN Brighton marathon training runs on a Sunday morning. I think they start about 7/8 miles so by this time I might be confident to go a bit quicker?!

I also am doing 1 easy run, 1 tempo run and 1 interval/hill reps (alternate these weekly) and every 3rd week I'm planning to swap the tempo run for a parkrun.

I'm doing the Crowborough 10k on 1st Dec and Portsmouth Coastal Half on 23rd Feb. Hopefully the 10k and parkruns will give me an indicator of what I'm actually capable of??

Cascita that's definitely the way to look at it image excellent that you managed more running this time and were able to talk at the same time!

• Hi people - survived Amsterdam marathon, but only just!!!!

I learned a valuable lesson that you need to be well hydrated. Easyjet plane was late so i had to pick my number up on the morning of the race so no breakfast and no drinks or food. All the organisers gave was 1/2 inch of fluid in a cup round the course every 5 miles ish. so by 22 miles i was cramping up quite bad in my hamstrings, something i have never had before, and last few meters i had almost a straight leg! at halfway i was 1:34 then at 20 miles i was 2:19 and heading for a comfortable 3:15, but ended up at 3:27 as i had to run walk towards the end.....

I'm taking the week off running (although for the first time felt ok next day - weird).

Want to get some serious training in for VLM 2014 now!

• Cas - you are on the slippery slope i did - entering races - before you know it you will entering them all - LOL

Well done on building up to 5 miles!

• Well done Wenty, glad you survived! Not an ideal start to your marathon having no breakfast or drinks. Perhaps we're lucky here that organisers want us well hydrated?!

Enjoy your well deserved week of rest. You'll be training again before you know it.....hopefully not in snow just yet!

• Yay well done Wenty - I'm seriously in awe of yoru time! A week off sounds good (secretly I am so looking forward to my tapering week, and week off afterwards!!)  On to London now then? Is that your next one??

• I have barcelona in march as a training run for london.

Bam yes luckily there is a bit more focus on hydration in the UK, brighton was great with really good water pouches, and halfs have bottles. Much easier to be organised at home than abroad as well.

I actually quite like training in the snow - must have seen too many Rocky films!

I am aiming to keep a steady base till christmas before starting marathon training for London.

• Barcelona.....cool!

I'm looking forward to my first snow run. I think! I'm really just looking for an excuse to go slower than usual haha!

Got another parkrun tomorrow, then a 5.5 mile on Sunday. I finally feel like I am making progress - and I've even started carrying water with me (yes, I know I dont need it on 5 miles, but I am sure it helps hahaha!!)

• snow and ice are fun but scary... The thing i found last winter is you have to go quick. I just wore my normal trainers not trail specific trainers, and if you walk or go slow I had not grip, but if i ran they stuck like glue, so i just had to trust in them and keep running it's when i stopped and tried walking through stuff that i kept slip sliding all over the place.

• snows good ice is scary!!! i find you have to pick your legs up more to stop them getting dragged in the snow! (depends on the depth obviously)

Cas you have improved massively

I have got a late entry into the great south run!  10 miles!

thats 3 races in 3 weeks - I'm mad!!!! (not as mad as BT's 50 miler though - all my 3 races add up to that!!!)

• 5 miles in 50:12 today. 1st run since pulling a muscle in leics Marathon 2 weeks agoimage felt really good ran the last 2km in 5:59 and 5:40ish

• Good work booktrunk and fantastic piece on you in RW mag, popped through my letter box this morning!! You are an inspiration!! image

Did another parkrun today, shaved a whole 7 seconds off hahaha!! I am pleased with how things are progressing but I just wish I could run longer...I still have to have a small walking break every half mile or so, sometimes even less (!!) and it does my head in but I am sure it will get better. I'm sticking with 4 days a week to run and will stay at 5 miles now for a couple of weeks to try and consolidate what I can do. As in try and RUN more of it hahahaha!!

wenty, three runs in three weeks is nuts.....but I can almost see the attraction now, it's a addiction this running lark!!, 

• How about slowing down again for a run... You know you can run at x speed now. So it's not about pride force yourself to go slower and when you want to walk instead take a few deep breaths and no matter how slow just keep jogging, even if you say I will only keep going for another 50m ... And just keep trying to plod along. Just keep on plodding image 

• Ohh Cascita, re the magazine. Thanks image I was dreading it as i hate my photo being taken, but I have to admit I'm over the moon image one typo when they said 2010 instead of 2012 image 

• thanks BT........it's just so hard to NOT get competitive with myself! Tomorrow I plan to leave the garmin behind, I know it's a 3.5 mile easy run (as in gently downhill!!) and my goal is to do just what you say.....and I will do my very best to run the whole lot, even if the plod run is slower than my walking usually is (I try and power walk when I take a break). I think that will do my confidence no end of good. 

I can't believe you lost so much weight...it's fantastic. I lost 3 stone a year ago, and I would like to lose 2 more but right now my focus is on learning to run, watching what I eat but not stressing over it. 

ps I do rather like the snazzy orange shoes too. image

• Asics kayano 19's going into retirement a bit early as not quite the stability I like. Changed to asics gt2000 instead. But used them for a few months training part if my ultra and all of leics marathon so got my money's worth out of them.

• Hi all - have been reading this thread with interest and hope to join in. I have been running on and off for a while, having done a half marathon a couple of weeks ago but run/walking. I never get into a routine with running and training is so spaorodic,I always seem to find the excuse of work / coming in late / hungry ' . . . image I've got great excuses for not running. Back on it last week and hoping to continue image Looking forward to sharing VLM X

• Hi Envious P - pls do join in! I love reading others comments and views and find it super motivating to know so many of us are all starting out with this running lark together! It's great to know others have teh same issues and problems as I do, and also know how they overcome it.

If I can share one thing that someone told me though - and that's we all have 101 excuses for not running, but make a deal to go out for just 10 minutes, and you will soon get into the habit - plus once you have done 10 minutes you have warmed up and you just carry on! Worked for me. Of course I still try and use every excuse under the sun NOT to go out, but I know I have to. London's calling!

Good luck!image

• I actually do ok with going out as planned, but I'm lucky enough to work from home and live a 30 second walk from a 2.1k trail loop that is just perfect for all my runs, with various paths linking sections of it so I can vary the direction.

One topic that is odd for me though, now in my 7th month of running and with London also calling, is running trainers.

Daft as it sounds, I have done all my running in a pair of Nike Rift trainers. Wait, hear me out! I know they are not running trainers as such (at all?), and people would think its risky, BUT I've run 600k in them, haven't had a single blister, sore or injury, and I started from 0 and was overweight.

I am planning to get some proper running trainers fitted in the next couple of weeks, before starting my marathon plan, but part of me wonders whether to stick with what I have. Obvious mistake or some sense in the madness?

• Casicita, thanks for the welcome!!

I totally agree. Its a problem I have with running, I have lost it when work hits, coming in late etc. I know that everyone works though, realising that everyone who gets to that line up have managed to run regularly and force themselves out on cold mornings / late nights is amazing too image

Dave - its a difficult one, it might be good to compare trying on trainers from a reputable store like Sweatshop and trying on a new pair of Nike Raft . Plus it would be interesting to hear the advice they give?

Good running image x

• Well, the chap in an Up & Running store was helpful with other things but really turned his nose up when I told him, although he offered to do the full analysis and help me if I decided on a proper pair. I think it's probably worth doing that to decide, but part of me does think 'dont fix what isn't broken'

• DaveG2 it's whatever works for you, is all that matters. Who cares as long as you are not getting injured, but you do say you do trail running near home which is a lot gentler on the foot. So do you or have you done much road work in those trainers? It's just it's a lot firmer doing road stuff compared to running on trails.  So you might want to consider then when you up your training for the marthon.

• No road running at all BT, and that has been at the back of my mind too, as when I start my marathon plan I will have to switch a fair amount of my training to Tarmac. Do people have different pairs for different surfaces? (See I told you I was pretty much new to this!)

• Some do yes. 

Depending on how traily the trail route is image

personally I've just worn my road shoes, no matter how much mud or snow I run through. In the winter some fields are flooded and I literally am running through fields where the water is deeper than my ankles image I just cannot be arsed to buy any other shoes, it does make sense, and I spend a fortune on some running or techie toys, but I get weird with trainers and just wear the same ones image 

road can do most things but are slippery etc... And uncomfortable on big rocks, but trail shoes wear out quite quickly on roads.

if you ever had bicycles it's like having road slicks on a bike or chunky mountain bike tyres image