multi-terrain shoe

Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Struggling with the choice of shoes. I have newtons which I use on the road (although getting old now) and Brooks Adrenaline for offroad.

I have rolled my ankle countless times in the Brooks (had to pull out of a duathlon over the weekend because of going over) and I feel that they are too heavy in the back end.. I end up heel striking.

I have tried on some saucony shoes before (they were all purple/pink in colour) and had a little bubble thing in the forefoot.. From that little info I can't find them online. Anyone know which one they are?

So I am looking for a light weight shoe that I can run in all weather/all terrain. My newtons are great for the road but cornering and wet conditions means they can be unstable at times.

Any advice would be great! There is so much choice wise that I am just a little lost.

Comments

• A friend has just bought some karrimor trainers - they're a new model as karrimor normally makes walking boots but is now branching out. The trainers have enough cushioning and support for road running, but have a more waterproof outer and better tred for off-road running. I don't know the model, but they're red with grey tred and laces. I tried them on and am very envious!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you are a forefoot / midfield striker then you could try the New Balance MT110.

I'm not so sure that a waterproof show is a gear idea. There will always be a big hole at the top for the water to go in and then there it is no where for it to go. Better to have a shoe that drains well in my opinion.

There have also been a few bad reviews of the Karrimor shoes and their sales techniques on here recently.
  • What brands of shoes do you all run in? and for what surfaces?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    For general road training I run in whatever is cheap and that fits. Currently it's a pair of Nike free I got from the outlet centre. They have about 750 miles on them at the momrment. For off road I wear the New Balance MT110. For road racing Brooks t7.

This does not mean that these shoes will be right for you though.
  • Brooks Adrenaline are a bit high for offroad, no wonder you are rolling your ankle. You need a lower drop shoe with less padding.

• Agree with the above, Brooks Adrenalines are serious ankle twisters but the same can be said for any shoe with a flat stiff sole and high heel/toe differential...

Inov8 Trailroc 255s are a superb mixed terrain shoe... light, flexible, responsive & stable...  

Seriously good shoe...

• Mrs Easy's and myself both love the New Balance 789.  They're low to the ground with a great tread pattern and we find they're great for on and off road running (which we do a fair amount of); we have a lot of trails around here, but it's a few miles on road to get to them.

We're also doing the Gower coastal marathon wearing these next month.  Nicely priced too at around £40 delivered.

• Thanks for the advice guys! Yea, I am beginning to hate the Brooks with a passion.. what a downer! To make matters worse the marshal was clueless and sent me on another look of the 5.5km lap... so I ended up running the whole things again with a rolled ankle. Not great.

I will have a look at the shoes suggested, see what father xmas brings me!

• Roland McCartney- Can you use to Trailroc 255 on road aswell? as in is it comfortable to get you to the trails?

• Don't hate the Brooks shoes - they are brilliant at what they are designed for - that is, running on trails, not cross-country/fell.  I use New Balance MT 110 and Inov-8 Flyroc 310 for really technical stuff - both are low-profile and grippy.  But for trails (ie hardpack, without major roots and rocks), I still prefer something with more cushion and support.

I found the New Balance for £20 a pair in Milletts which is rare, but you should be able to root some out on the net for £25.

• Trailroc 255s feel fine on tarmac Dibs... 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Day-to-day I run off road on all types of surfaces and inclines, lucky enough to be able to play in the Peak District on a daily basis. 

I've always used my older roadies, rarely have any issues no matter what time of year it is. Though when racing I do wear trail/fell. 

For those that want to know, roadies have generally been Saucony Ride's, but no more since the last update. Latest pair is Mizuno Wave Sayonara. Current offies are Soloman Fellraisers. 

As for the OP, no other person can tell you what to wear over the web, look round or ask others for a very good shop to go to who will spend a lot of time analysing your gait, watching how you run etc and getting you to try all types/makes to get the best one for you. And I'd say This should be done every time, you change, shoes change etc.

If you were anywhere within travelling distance of Sheffield I'd reccomend going to Accelerate on Attercliffe road for instance. I was in there for a couple of hours and ended up with pairs of shoes all over the place. The assistant was not going to be happy unless I left with the perfect pair for me. 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Solomon Fellfraiser's here for off road stuff, brilliant so far . 

• I am in Bath at the moment so will try and find a running store that stocks the shoes mentioned to try them on. Hopefully I will find a winner.

• I recently bought a pair Karrimor Pace trails from a Sports Direct shop and I think they are bloody good, and for 30quid I can't complain so far. Some people on here seem to have a big problem with Karrimor/Sport Direct and will say don't touch their stuff with a barge pole but I'm well pleased with mine, comfortable, good heal cushioning, really grippy when ur running through filth and muck, they look alright and they are cheap. If you can't bare going into SD you can get em somewhere else like Amazon. I'd recommend them anyway.

• PS, the bloke in SD was trying to sell me some Nike shoes and not trying to push Karrimors like some say on here.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Inov8 Roclites would be my favourite. Great off-road and on, particularly in the winter. I midfoot strike and prefer a minimal shoe, and get along with these very well. You can often pick up older editions online for a decent price.
  • I would say Inov-8 Roclites 295  are outstanding! If you want something a little bit more hardcore ill say the Inov 8 Talon 255. image How much are wanting to spent on them? 

Regards 

Andrew image 

• I'm willing to pay around £100. that is what I paid for my newton road shoes and haven't looked back!

I don't want to skip on the cash and come out with injuries. Inov does look amazing! xmas present maybe ??

I would like a minimal feel (transferred to mid foot with the newtons and now run with a better form. But would like some cushioning for road running in them, as well as offroad durability. which model do you think suits me (I have been on the site and read the blurbs.. but all really similar)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A jack of all trades will be a master of none.

You would be better off splitting the budget and getting a pair of road shoes and a pair of trail ones.

If you look around you can get loads of decent shoes for that amount of budget.
  • Dibs3690 wrote (see)

I'm willing to pay around £100. that is what I paid for my newton road shoes and haven't looked back!

I don't want to skip on the cash and come out with injuries. Inov does look amazing! xmas present maybe ??

I would like a minimal feel (transferred to mid foot with the newtons and now run with a better form. But would like some cushioning for road running in them, as well as offroad durability. which model do you think suits me (I have been on the site and read the blurbs.. but all really similar)

You can get a pair of Inov8 Roclite 295 for under £100. Amazing shoes! 

• I'm a big fan of roclites, however road running will wear down the treads, and I only get about 350 miles out of them before the uppers start shredding.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Salomon sense although you would have to shop around to find them under ??100 but you can find them!!! Brilliant shoe, lightweight and fairly cushioned for their weight also they are reasonable on road!
  • I got some Salomon XR's for 50£ happy with them image