Sub 3h15

Comments

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Thanks all for your welcomes.

Badbark, great report, very inspiring for me.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - had a quick look over my shoulder there...! 

Yes I agree, BBs report is very inspiring. As ever. 

• Quick report back from the fizz - everything is intact. Poor range of motion on left hip and lots of tight surrounding muscles. Fair bit of massage and joint manipulation later and it felt a lot better. Exercises and stretches prescribed and follow up in 3 weeks. 

Great report Badbark. Olympic champ! image 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great report BB. Inspiring really, and you've got us all thinking.

The best ever advive was that the marathon was a 20 mile warm up for a 10k race, and your 2 race strategy is echoing that. On the miles front, I could not go above 50 per average week in a marathon campaign. After 25 years of running it would just finish me off.  I  know however like many others said that the high milege route is the best prep for race number 2. Enjoy the rest and don't rush to quickly into the next campaign.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Excellent BB, fair reward for all the hard work. I remember you asking about doubles in the spring. 3 or 4 days of 5.5M in (plus extras - up to how far ?) and 5.5M back again soon racks up the miles. What sort of pace were you doing the 1/2 maras at ?

If you build frequency and then distance and keep most of the running slow, by bringing in doubles like BB has it soon racks up biggish miles, and doesnt mean injury, teh body adapts well, you just have to make sure that you dont push it hard at the wrong times. I only run 3 week days and a weekend long run in VLM prep, but with something like a 5+5, 14+5, 7+5, and then a weekend 20-22, thats a good few miles even with a lot of 5M runs. Put some miles in to the other 3 days and its easy to see where BB was getting his miles from.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sadly I see that a runner died having collapsed at the finish line of the Dublin marathon.  A 27 year old Englishman who passed away today.   Thoughts are with his family at this moment which should be one for rejoicing on completion of a huge event, not departing us all image.  Life just isn't fair is it?

• TR wrote (see)
    I only run 3 week days and a weekend long run in VLM prep, but with something like a 5+5, 14+5, 7+5, and then a weekend 20-22, thats a good few miles even with a lot of 5M runs. Put some miles in to the other 3 days and its easy to see where BB was getting his miles from.

But if you take those 3 days and the LSR that is 61 miles and 3 spare days. To hit 100 you need those 3 to be 13 each day.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - That's truly awful and there are no words or any offerings of explanation that would ease the pain that his family and loved one's are feeling right now! Running and anything else is an aside to the loss of a life and one so young too.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Monday 5 recovery.

Tuesday 6+6 easy

Wed 15 MLR + 4 rec

Thursday 7 + 5 easy

Friday 4 easy + 12 including quality

Sat 6 easy

Sun 20

That the best I could come up with and I'm still 10 short! I've managed 80 before but then I start to creak a bit.

Great report Badbark and would be interesting to have a proper breakdown of your mileage. Any none running days and did you run the HM flat out?
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Oh, I missed MsE post. That is always tragic when someone dies in a race. 27 is way too young.

What am I talking about! It's tragic when anyone dies.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - those were the sort of numbers I do in my doubles (not BBs), we'll see what BB responds with, but I was probably a bit conservative with 5.5+5.5 and 7.5+5.5. If it was 10+5.5, and 10 on the other weekend day, with 4 doubles and not 3.... I bet big weeks had a long long run in them too. The 1/2 mara weeks might have been lighter though. BB knows the answers, I wont be following suit though thats for sure!

• AR - have a grand day out in NY.
    Birch - yes, it was a lovely morning here too. No sense in rushing...
    BB - cracking report; you put in a lot of hard work and reaped the rewards. Amazing that you went from 60 to 107 miles per week without any injuries or niggles. It was you who inspired me to include hill sprints in my HM campaign - maybe there's something in them! I usually did 6 x 45 seconds though. I'd like to do them again in my current schedule, but the only hill round these parts is on an A road with no path and a very uneven grass verge. So just about OK in daylight but not a good idea early on a dark morning! But if 10 seconds is all you need, then I might use a railway bridge instead. Congratulations to you again on a very impressive achievement. Take a bow.
    Abbers - nice tempo run; hope you're feeling better for Sunday.
    SB - good pyramid session; always enjoy those.
    BikeIt - glad to hear the leg is holding up after the latest run.
    Lorenzo - alongside the Thames, I presumeimage
    SJ - hope the pysio will get you sorted.
    MsE - that's really tragic.
    Moof - hey, you're supposed to be recovering not running 90 mile weeksimage
    Another 10 steady miles notched up today.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good miles being run, great respect for the effort to fit all that in with having a life too

AR have a great race and remember DONT LOOK UP if you are on the lower tier of the Verrazano bridge just after the start. It's not rain dripping from the heavens. Also, once you cross from Queens back into Manhattan and start up 1st Avenue it gets more undulating so keep some matches dry.

First run outdoors for me in 3 wks, which was infinitely better than the dreadie image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

"The only hill round these parts..." - ha!  Some of us are spoilt for choice.  I live on top of a hill...

MsE: that's so sad.  I guess if my time is up, running isn't such a bad way to go, but I'm not sure my nearest and dearest would see it like that.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind words about my marathon report. I’ll try to answer the questions and give a bit more details about my training.

This is my weekly mileage total starting after the Belfast Marathon in May – 43, 47, 66, 70, 71, 74, 39, 42 (holiday), 77, 81, 55, 85, 68, 91, 60, 92, 97, 57, 101, 103, 57, 107, 64, 52, 24 – Marathon.

All the Half Marathons were run between 1:21:51 and 1:24:03 with the slowest being 2 days after a holiday!

This is the final 4 weeks before the taper began taken from my training spreadsheet. I raced my final HM at a PB of 1:21:51 the day before this began.

7 easy = 7

14 e + 5.5 e double =19.5

10 + 5.5 e double =15.5

14 including 5 x 1 mi intervals + 5.5 double =19.5

7.5 easy + carpark =8.9

24 easy unfuelled =24

6.6 mi easy with 10 x 10 hill sprints =6.6

6 mi easy + carpark =7.4

15.2 miles with 10 progressive & 5.5 back to car =20.7

10 easy + 5.5 double =15.5

14.5 mi with 2 x 2 mi tempo + 5.5 double =20

6 easy and carpark =7.4

24 mi - 10 MP+60, 12 MP+30, 2 MP =24

7.6 mi easy 10 x 10 hill sprints = 7.6

Carpark =1.4

10 mi with 10 x 0.25 intervals & 5.5 easy =15.5

Double easy =12

11.5 mi easy - gentle strides =11.5

Rest

Bangor 10k flat out + easy =9

7.75 easy with 10 x 10 hill sprints =7.8

9.5 + 5.5 easy double  =15

16.5 miles  including 3 x 2 mi tempo + 6 x 0.25 mi & 3.5 easy double =20

10 + 5.5 easy double  =15.5

15 with 10 MP & 5.5 back to car (only managed 7 mp) =20.5

5.5 easy + carpark =6.9

22 with 12 mi MP +60 then 10 MP including Parkrun =22

7 miles easy  -  8 x 10 with hill sprints =7.6

(edit - fixed spreadsheet formatting)

MsE – I’m very lucky that my wife who isn’t a vegetarian doesn’t cook meat. She still likes the odd McDonalds and eats meat in restaurants but prefers Quorn etc at home. Phew! The smell of cooking meat turns me.

GM – Before I started running I was about 13 stone and I’m now about 10 stone 10 lbs. This weight has come of gradually over the last 5 years with about 3 lbs in the last year. I do make an effort to loss a few extra lbs before carbo loading on every marathon.

I know a vegan diet isn’t for everyone, but I do believe eating as much fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, whole grains and spices as you can stomach (as well as some meat) would be greatly beneficial to all.

Gul – I believe the 10 x 10 sec hill sprints are another reason I’ve been completely niggle free despite 100+ mile weeks. Check this out for more details - http://running.competitor.com/2013/01/training/steep-hill-sprints_9050

TR – I agree that almost anyone can run high mileage if they work up to it slowly. It was important that I had 4 years of steady training at up to 70 miles before I started increasing to 100+ this year. When I increase I try to stick to the 10% rule and I never have more than two high mileage weeks in a row.

There’s a reason why all elites from 5k runners upwards run over 100 miles every week. It works!image

Yes it was so sad to hear about the man who died at the end of the Dublin Marathon. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Jools - makes for an interesting out and back comparison!
    Poacher - great to be outdoors again.
    Badbark - that's quite some schedule! Interesting article from Brad Hudson. I'm not sure my hill counts as steep, but it'll have to doimage
    Forgot my stats for October:
    26 runs, 1 race, 195.7 miles in 1 day 2 hours 57 minutes and 6 seconds, plus 1 PB!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

That's some big old miles there, BB. Not sure I'd have the motivation to churn those out, so full credit to you for being able to get it done, and you've reaped the deserved reward. I'm also not sure I'd want to go to under 11st from around 12st; it would probably make me a faster runner, but then running's not my only sport.

5 mostly easy miles at lunch, with a quicker sub-7 thrown in at the end for good measure. Still no idea what's going to come out on Sunday, apart from taking one hell of a beating from TR! image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Safe travels AR and enjoy.

30 minute spinning followed by 45minutes weights for me this lunchtime.

...I'm now thinking where I can park on the way to work and get some doubles in....

• TRTR ✭✭✭

well there were no magic secrets in that BB training, look at the Tues, Weds, Thurs commutes !

Abbers - looks like the wind is going to show up, so might scupper the sub60 attempt. Could be a bet soggy underfoot too. I did 6M inc 20min of 30sec hard/30sec easy this morning in the rain, in readiness but it was no where near windy enough though.

• Badbark wrote (see)

9.5 + 5.5 easy double  =15
    16.5 miles  including 3 x 2 mi tempo + 6 x 0.25 mi & 3.5 easy double =20
    10 + 5.5 easy double  =15.5
    15 with 10 MP & 5.5 back to car (only managed 7 mp) =20.5
    5.5 easy + carpark =6.9
    22 with 12 mi MP +60 then 10 MP including Parkrun =22
    7 miles easy  -  8 x 10 with hill sprints =7.6

So that is the 107 mile week and as TR says, look at those 4 days to start the week: 15, 20, 15.5, 20.5 for 71 miles in 4 days. That is 4 days back to back doing doubles. Even if you don't do the doubles (22 miles) it is still 49 miles, incredible! I was looking at P&D up to 70 and that has a double or two in the whole plan: guess the lesson is that up to 70 is OK with singles and an occasional double, over 70 and doubles all the way.

My plan will vaguely be 20 LSR, 15 MLR, 10 track/tempo and then 3*7 recovery for about 66 miles, then add a double to get up to 70.

• Went to the doctors this morning to get some blood test results and a general old man's health check. Apparently I have a 6% chance of a major heart failure in the next 10 years but as this is less that 20% they are not worried. Seems a sad state of affairs when they accept one in five people will die between 50 and 60 years old.

Factors which weigh against me: I'm male, I have a family history of heart failure.

Neutral factors: I drink moderately and eat moderately.

Good factors: I run.

• Focus on the positives PMJ!

Badbark, that is a MENTAL schedule. You must have legs of iron.

Jools, Frankfurt gets some heavy coverage on this week's MT with much talk of less than ideal conditions. Makes your result even more impressive. 

20mins pootle round the field to test my new hip (and I threw in a couple of hill reps BB style). Everything is intact image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

How long have you been vegan Badbark?  I have been paying more attention to my diet over recent months.  I'm eating less meat but like fish a lot. Also drink a lot of milk and love cheese, so not sure I could give those up.  For the last 8 weeks I have been on quite a strict healthy eating plan but the scales don't seem to notice!  I have my own version of Scott Jurek's Green Power drink (containing 5 of my 5 a day, brazil nuts, miso, spirulina) each morning but seeing no benefit yet other than being able to cut out my mid morning scone.  image  I'll stick with it. 

Looks like I'll be heading to Berlin next autumn. image Anyone else?

OO - the double entries in the Brass Monkey fiasco are being reallocated via a ballot system.  Check out the website. 

• Thanks for the tips on doubles, I'm thinking of doing 2 a week probably Wednesday & Friday.

Impressive report BB to back up your impressive PB! That's a mammoth training schedule too. Proof that it's there for the taking when you put in all the hard work. I see on your Power of 10 that you ran very consistent half marathon times this year too and all quite close together.

Enjoy Berlin Minni.

7.5 easy miles tonight.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I got my Sorry Loser email, Minni image.  Congrats on getting a spot! I might look at Frankfurt now... image

I have just finished the mother of all days, ie Hallowe'en US-style.  These Americans certainly know how to party.  And dress up.  Adults and children alike. Not sure I can make it through Thanksgiving AND Christmas too.

• Berlin is NEIN here too....but I'm in good company, MsE shall we not go to Berlin together, as it were? 

Jiust looking at some European autumn alternatives which MrsP might approve - Budapest and Istanbul are both tempting.

Badbark - image

PMJ - time for the pipe and slippers image 

• Abbers & TR - good luck for Sunday. Hope the weather is kind.
    PMJ - another good factor - you went for a health check!
    SJ - a field with hills? Now there's a novel conceptimage
    Minni - Berlin is a nice choice for an autumn marathon.
    Also reminded me of the sad news from NY of Lou's passing away.
    KR - good luck with the doubles.
    MsE - just think of all the turkey!
    Poacher - not be tempted by an East African marathon as a warm-up for Comrades?
    6 slow miles d&d.

• I'm quite tempted by Frankfurt again, especially as I won't be doing a spring marathon.

• How did you rate the Frankfurt race Jools? Course/organisation/finish area/city?