Garmin/Runkeeper variance

Hi All

I had a really wierd issue this morning and i was wondering if anyone else has the same, I used  to use Runkeeper on my iPhone but recently bought a Garmin 110

This morning after Parkrun I uploaded by 28:06 run into Runkeeper through the bulk upload mode and it shows as 27:45, yet when i view the run in the Garmin connect its 28:06, all of my splits are out by a few seconds

I cant really understand as its the same gpx file? any help...I obviuosly prefer th runkeeper time image

Comments

• Can't help really other to say maybe runkeeper is picking up moving time? not elapsed time?

• What was your offical parkrun time?

Mine always shows my time like this in garmin connect

Time: 30:30 Moving Time: 30:29 Elapsed Time: 30:34

i stopped mywatch at 30.30 yesterday. My parkrun time was 30.29. i'm not sure where the elapsed time of 30.34 came from.

• My actual run time was 30:30. I think the variations are to do with the autopause feature on the Garmins.

Found this thread on the Garmin forums: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?25115-Dont-understand-difference-between-Time-Moving-Time-Elapsed-Time

From the FAQ it says:

Garmin Connect provides three Time measurements on the Details page:

Time

Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.

Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.

Moving Time

Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.

Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.

Elapsed Time

Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity. This is helpful for customers with a Garmin device that have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity. For those who don't have AutoPause or have that feature turned off on their device, Elapsed time should be very close or equal to Time.

So Huw I think it might be that Runkeeper is using the 'elapsed time.' If you also upload your run into garmin connect then see if the time on that matched Runkeeper.

However, i have autopause turned off on my 610 and I still see this variation.

• thanks all, it does make sense, my parkrun time was 28:35 but I started near the back of a 400 strong field so thats not a suprise

I noticed an oddity on Thursday which could also be explained by the above, I run a fast 800m then paused the garmin for an hour whilst I coached athletics, I then resumed to run a 3k in 12mins and the whole time recorded by Garmin was 1hr 18mins, I deleted that one because it affected my stats but it now makes more sense

• I usually got with the Garmin time as I have found it the most accurate compared to official race times. However I upload to Endomondo and Strava and found that Strava sometimes gets weird times from the GPX file. I think it's the way they calculate the segments from the file.