Bunions !!

Hi there I just wondered how people dealt with running with bunions I had a moderate bunion on one foot which is getting bigger and more problematic but not painful so not at point of needing surgery , I currently use the lunarglide 2 unstructured show which has bunion windows and an orthopedic insole and do half marathons etc and I do bunion exercises I found on YouTube which is supposed to delay the inevitable but it's quite a protruding bone and rules out 99% running shoes and aches after a long race how do others deal with it I've tried pads and gels etc and can anyone recommend a non surgical treatment or exercise to help bone alignment ?

Comments

• Sorry I found nothing worked.  I even bought mens shoes as they were wider.  Unfortunately I resorted to surgery 11 weeks ago.  Just waiting for check up later this month before starting back to running.  I got both feet done at same time thank goodness as it saved another 12 weeks inactivity and 10 weeks off work.

• Yeah I think I will have to go down that route all docs won't refer me unless I'm in pain or significant discomfort . How much did it cost to have your done ? Thx
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hallux valgus deformities ('bunions') are a genetic feature usually passed down on the mother's side.  You can't correct them by exercises.  You can insert some sort of toe separater between big and second toes - I'm not sure if you can buy something custom made but I used to use pieces of foam or sponge - mostly useful during the night when asleep.  You can't really run with anything between your toes - it doesn't stay there.  There is also the danger of displacing the second toe as well.

Without surgery you'll need to buy wide fitting shoes - New Balance is the only company who do 4E fittings, and I think only in road shoes.

The best surgery is remedial work on the first metatarsal - I had each foot done one at a time (two years apart) under the NHS with a long wait for the surgery.  The surgeon refashioned the metatarsal to reduce the angle between that and the second metatarsal by a half.  It was very successful on the second op (new procedure), more than the first.

The downsides are time out for rehabilitation and you will be left with less flexibility in the big toe joint.  You have to work very, very hard at post-op physio to get that big toe moving.  Other than that the ops have been a great success: the bunions haven't re-grown (likely to happen if you only have the bunion removed and no remedial surgery) and I have no pain except sometimes after very long runs. I think also the ops have contributed to me not needing as much motion control in shoes as I needed before.

• Ok that's very interesting indeed thank you for taking the time to write and let me know of your experiences
  • I was referred by my doctor to the hospital. 12 weeks later got my appointment to see consultant and 8 weeks later got my operation.  Done on the NHS.  Like T Rex says it can reduce mobility in big toes.  It hasn't affected left big toe but there is a lot less mobility in right one.  Was not told anything about post op exercises - in fact follow up care was very poor.  Seeing consultant on 23/10 to see what he thinks of recovery.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The main post-op exercise is lunges, keeping the big toe of the rear leg on the ground and seeing how low you can get that rear knee.  A very painful business but if you can get the knee to touch the ground without going onto the tip of the big toe you're getting somewhere.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Obviously wait until your fractures/surgery has healed first!

• Feeling your pain image I've suffered with Hallux ridgidus for 15 yrs now had cleilectomy on both feet back in 2004 and the other in 2006. Unfortunatly never been able to do the miles I'd love to do to forfill my potential but you can train smart and cross train.

The right foot has got quiet bad now and I use a toe straightener to stop the toe turning in, I bought this one as it helps to stay on http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009XDVV80/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1381183613&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

also I have just got a pair of Hoka running shoes which have a rocker type style to them which is less impact and bend on the joint, 3 runs in and so far so good! image I'm at the point I'll try anything to keep going. 

• Those of you who have had surgery - how long before you were back to running?

• This thread made me chuckle! Did you know that there are 130+ different operations to correct a bunion and that a Bunion is in fact a secondary symptoms of usually a much larger primary biomechanical or physiological problem? We do foot surgery at our clinic but only as a last resort. Orthotics can usually be used very effectiveley until the late stages of HAV (even stage 4). And no-one should be running on a foot which had foot surgery for at least 8 weeks (it takes 6 weeks for bone to heal normally) and then only very lightly.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Indeed I did.  My surgeon was very interesting to listen to and talked me through my x-rays and the various options.  I was awake throughout the second op (only had spinal anaesthetic) so I knew exactly what was going on.  In fact the anaesthetic didn't even stop motor control so I could move my leg and foot if I wanted to but they had them pinned down - probably a good idea.  The surgeon seemed a little concerned and wondered how long he had before I would start feeling pain.  I remember him starting off asking for the saw to be passed, and saying, "No, not that one, the big one!"

My first op was a wedge procedure from which rehabilitation was very poor, the second a scarf osteotomy which was extremely successful and made my foot, as he put it, look 'congruous'.

Speedy.G!!!!!!!!!!   I'm impressed you had both feet done at once.  How did you manage walking on both heels??  I presume you had heel weight-bearing boots?

I did no running for 3 months and only began racing tentatively after about 7 months.

Never had serious issues since (ops were in 2000 and 2002), although as I have said the left foot was not as successful and aches after very long runs. 

• Hi, I've found a solution for you. Kindly check my guide on the best shoes for bunions by clicking on the link below. I've made detailed and unbiased reviews on different shoes brands. Hope you will get your answer from it.

https://www.wearduke.com/best-shoes-with-deep-toe-box-for-tailors-bunion/http://
    https://www.wearduke.com/best-tennis-shoes-for-bunions/