Help with Trail Shoes

I am looking to get some Trail shoes for the 1st time, but really have no idea which ones to get? Unlike normal running shoes, Trial shoes dont seem to allow you to select the type of support that you need. At the moment i run in Saucony Omni 11's and was wondering if anyone else has the same normal running shoes and has found a pair of Trail shoes that offer the same if not similar kind of support?

Comments

• I would say brooks cascadia, they will give you the support.

Hope this helps

Andrew image 

• if im correct Dubbed (correct if not anyone)

but trail/XC shoes dont really need support, im guessing its for over/under pronation you mean?

As they are made for the un-even surface of trails etc whats the point of adding extra support as your going to be all over the place running anyway.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ja5on, I think you have it about right. There is probably a more technical explanation somewhere but you have pretty much said it the same as I would.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I think you just need something with a decent sole, suitable for the surface you run on and not to spend too much since they will get knackered very quickly. I use Adidas kanadia's, they are cheapish and do a decent job. The limiting factor for these shoes is when they start to rot!

• I also run in Saucony Omni 11s on the road - I have Salomon Speedcross 3s for my trail shoes. I haven't used the trail shoes extensively as yet, but have covered some dry trails, mud and grass with them over 5-15 miles and haven't had any problems with them.

• Thanks everyone for your input!!

Looking at it from that point of view Ja5onW sounds like you are right. As you say your already a bit uneven under foot, so additional support may not do you any good.

Thanks Andrew, MACb and LisH, i will have a look at all of your suggestions and see how they look??

• Having alot of support/cushioning in a trail shoe actually works against you, if your trails get rough during the winter your increasing the risk of ankle problems..

A flexible sole also helps becasue it`ll twist/deform if your foot strikes a big stone, edge of a rain rut or an exposed tree root, given the same situation a stiff sole will remain rigid so the shoe will twist and your ankle takes all the abuse..

Low heel/toe differentials combined with low stack heights equal greater stability...

• Thanks Roland for the explination, makes a lot of sense now!

• Our (Mrs Easy loves 'em too) trail shoe is the New Balance Mens M789.  It's cheap at around £30, has a good grip off-road, but is nice to run on road with too; great for races/runs where you've a mixture of terrains.

They're low to the ground, which the positives already have been explained, and they're really comfortable too.

I've got two pairs in reserve, just in case they discontinue them.

I also like the low slung Kanadias too; the ones without the heel; a really basic shoe but with an aggressive grip.  I use those for more greasy runs.  

More Miles do a fell/trail shoe with a really agressive grip; for even more slippy stuff.