Suspected stress fracture, who to see?

A couple of weeks ago I developed an acute pain in my lower inside shin (right) during a 12 mile run. I was just starting tapering for the SNOD marathon and basically stopped running for 2 weeks hoping it would ease.  I ran the marathon on Saturday and it was no more than a slight ache throughout.  Today though I can barely walk!  I can't put any weight on it without a searing pain shooting through my shin.  Should I make an appointment with my GP or just nip down to A&E tomorrow during the day whilst they are hopefully quiet?  

Ta,

Ash

Comments

• Go to a e and you will wait four hours and they will do an x ray which unless it is very very bad won't show anything.  You can then goto the Gp with the results of the X-ray and he will refer you to a consultant who can order a MRI or bone scan which will tell you whether you have a stress fracture or not.  Stress fractures normally only show up on a bone scan or MRI. Can take several months before you get the diagnosis.

Whatever don't run when in pain.  

If you have medical insurance or you self insure just go to the Gp, ask to be refered to your nearest private hospital they will do the scan and you will know within the week.  If it is a stress fracture they will put you in the boot for six to eight weeks.

The above is based on painful personal experience.

• I know I am getting a bit fixated but the frustration from not running is getting to me.

• Just under three more weeks in the boot, thanks.

Probably won't be able to do London next year but hope to be able to do a marathon next autumn.

• It's shinsplints.  Seen the Doctor, had an x-ray and it all looks ok apart from swelling/inflammation.  Been told to rest for 4 weeks is a lot better than having a cast!

• I will wait till to see how the healing process is going before I commit to a race.  A friend of a friend mentioned Bournmouth but don't know anything about it.

• Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on here could help,..... I am in a similar position re shin pain. It started during my first longish run after chester marathon at the top of my right foot and extended upwards throughout my right shin. It got worse once I stopped running and now is agony when I walk.

physio said it could be chronic compartment syndrome but I haven't run for 2 weeks and with regular icing, calf stretches and rollering I would have thought it should have been getting getter by now. I am absolutely distraught both from lack of running and pain....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated image  

• Surrey Runner: Sympathies; hope you're running again in not too long after you're out of the boot - that's the good thing about fractures - once the bone's healed, it's healed, pretty much. (As opposed to tendons - I've just starting two months in a protective brace for my posterior tibial tendon (partial rupture and tendonosis at present), then hopefully start rehab exercises if scan shows tendon state improving. Been given an estimation of a YEAR to get back to running.)

• Runningbagel wrote (see)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone on here could help,..... I am in a similar position re shin pain. It started during my first longish run after chester marathon at the top of my right foot and extended upwards throughout my right shin. It got worse once I stopped running and now is agony when I walk.

physio said it could be chronic compartment syndrome but I haven't run for 2 weeks and with regular icing, calf stretches and rollering I would have thought it should have been getting getter by now. I am absolutely distraught both from lack of running and pain....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated image  

That sounds exactly the same symptons I had when I got my stress fracture, get it checked out asap either by getting an mri scan through your gp or going to a and e and seeing if they'll xray although this may not show the fracture if there is one.

• Runningbagel: sympathies - I know how frustrating it is not being able to run. Do get it checked out. The good news is that if it -is- a stress fracture, rest should sort it out within a couple of months. As Rossy says, the problem is that stress fractures often are not visible on x-ray - better chance now than there would have been two weeks ago, if there is one, but many never show on x-ray. Good luck in getting MRI if that's what you need - there may be a wait for that, however.

• May have to get a private MRI.  If so shop around, prices range from £275 to £600 for the exact same test!

Thanks Debra, see the orthopod again on the 13th.  Think my boot is beginning to smell.....

• Runningbagel: What Surrey Runner says about MRI prices. Don't know where you are based, but there's one near Waterloo Station, London, which is £200 - £275 (depending on time of day).

• I am a physiotherapist and often recommend Exogen to help things along with fractures.

Check out www.hirelipus.co.uk which is a place you can rent the equipment. Hope you get back to fitness soon!