How long did it take you to run continuously?

2»

Comments

• Why would you want to run continuously in the first place? It is good to have a firm basis to start from. A decent 5K, a decent 10K. After being able to run 60 minutes continously you can take it from there and add some other training elements such as interval training etc.

But... having said that. Did you ever take a look into the Jeff Galloway method? I trained with his RWR (run walk run) method for a year now. On my way to the first ultra in 2014. It feels great!

Mind you.... if and when I am training I always find that I am faster RWR than continuously. 

Maybe something worth looking into as well.

• Thanks....I do like the RWR method, I'm just impatient to feel like it's getting easier. That said I argued with my shoulder devil this week and convinced him I could run the whole first mile without walking and I did. I'm going to try and break the second next week.....run a mile, walk a minute or two, run another mile.....gasp, bitch, moan, walk a few minutes and run again.......

I love peter's comment....made me giggle! 

• Just saw your other post regarding the London Marathon. One more reason to look into the RWR method maybe because it is an excellent way to run the marathon. 

Please bear in mind that conditionally you will improve much and much faster than your bones, sinews and tendons will. Tendons need a lot of time to get used to the impact! The RWR method my Jeff Galloway is really a great way to train and to stay healthy (for a long time). You will see that running is even easier this way and... in the end you probably will be faster on the marathon as well!

Good luck with training and don't be impatient. The first basis is so important!

• Being nosey I had to go and Google Jeff Galloway, what an interesting man.

• I have his run walk run method book and it does make me feel much more relaxed about it all. Well worth reading! 

• Can't go wrong then with the marathon training for London image Good luck and listen carefully to your body. Shorter than a year IS pretty short afterall. Normally I would advise a slow approach with some 5 and 10 K races, and a couple of HM's first image

• Thanks RM....I wish I had been sensible in a way, and taken more time but I just knew I wouldn't do it then. I had to shock my brain into something with some urgency.....but truthfully I will be happy to get round in less than 6 hours and then do some proper training and hopefully do another in another year or so. Did I really say that. My goodness....what is happening to me??!! 

• Doesn't matter, you set a goal so stick with it. You still have some time, so make sure there is a good fundament to build on. And.. consider the RWR method, also on marathon day! You might surprise yourself.

Besides training, pay close attention to your food during your training and make sure you get enough high quality proteins to protext your muscles.

Happy training!

• I am in awe, I have not allowed the hint of a half marathon, let alone a full marathon to enter my head at this stage. I live with someone who started running again a year ago after a break of 15/16 years. He used to do triathlons and  is very very focused on running. When he finishes his runs he waits for me near the end and tries to encourage me to keep running and get faster. Aaaaah I hear you say, I have to inform you that this appraoch has led to some near marital discord and on many occaision if I had the strength to chase him I may not have been responsible for the outcome. A quick puff of my inhaler gives me enough breathe to tell him to go away and hope that there are no children nearby.

I managed to RWR my second 10k 45 seconds faster than my first and apparently the conditions were not as good???? It appears that there was a head wind which slowed some of the runners down. As it is difficult for me to get much slower the net result was a faster time.

My next RWR is a 5mile Santa run, onwards and upwards Ho Ho Ho

• hehe.  my other half has run with me about 3 times in the 18 months i've been running, any more might lead to a long stretch in prison.  I know how you feel Tracey. image If you can get a training partner at around your pace, maybe slightly better sort of just about in the attainable level, then that's great, any better and then it just doesn't work as you both end up compromising all the time for each other, one going to quick, and one to slow you just all end up grumpy.

• Happy to run on my own at the moment, that way I can fight the shoulder devil without anyone questioning the conversations I appear to be having with myself. At Park run my aim is not to finish in the last 3, originally it was not to finish last, then the last 2 and so it goes on. I will get there, but it will be at my own pace not anyone else's and if it means I have to walk some of the way so be it. I just hope that when I get to the point where I can run some distance I don't forget how hard it was to get there and use this knowledge to encourage others. In my head I am a run and still think I can sprint like I used to when I was 14 its my body that does the reality check!

• Going slow is the hardest thing to learn when new to running. There is only full on 100 meter speed, and walking. Thankfully I found this forumimage First thing I was told was go slow, and I took that to heart, wish I could speed up a bit now... but, hey that's the great thing about running you have a big window for advancing i've been plodding along for 18 months, and i'm still improving and hope to keep doing so for a while yet.

• I also thought the whole point was to go fast when I started, but now I go slow and run/walk I am enjoying it so much more, and I have faith that in time I will run more than walk. 

My training partner is my 13 yr old whippet of a daughter.....she is really good at supporting me but when she decides to go for it she leaves me eating her dust!! 

Tracey, I had and still have the same parkrun goals....just not being last motivates me to keep going! Well done you, 

• Book trunk what are your paces?

i know you've gone way beyond 5 and 10k, I'm really struggling to extend my distance as I'm going too quickly.

it would be a great help to know your say easy 10k training pace per mile and say your 5k fast pace please?

• Good morning - excuse me jumping in here - but you might find this link useful

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

enter your current pace and it will calculate your training paces.  As a beginner, err on the side of caution and go for the slower end of the suggested range, the calculator can be a bit optimistic image.  I suggest you look at your 'easy run' paces if you are starting out and not yet doing speed work.

• Cascita, I am doing a mix of walk run at the moment which is based on heart rate.  This stops me from running too hard from the start of the run and running out of steam.  In practice this means I may have to walk several times within the first mile or two but as I get warmed up the walks get shorter and further apart and as the weeks go by the the speed gradully goes up.

Try the walk run approach for the first 15-20 mins of your run as a warm up and then see how far you can run without stopping after that but don't push hard, think of it like driving the car carefully when you're low on petrol.  Also try running based on time rather than distance, this way when the conditions aren't as good or you're tired you've still met your target even if you haven't gone as far.

• Jelly bean...good tips, thanks. The first ten minutes is always such a grind, so this is a good way to not let it get me down! I'm finding it hard to fit in running at the moment, I started a new job yesterday and have a planning meeting tonight, so am shuffling my run days round to make sure I still get 4 runs a week in! 

I managed to do 7 miles on Sunday with a R/W/R combo but the hardest part now is convincing my training buddies that this is an actual plan, I'm not just walking cos I am knackered... (Although of course I am I suppose!)

• I'd have thought heart rate monitoring may help with running continuously.  When I was starting I stopped a lot to walk (to be honest not just when I was starting, I still do it now occasionally) - and nearly all of it was mental not physical.  I got a HRM and found my "real" max, then aimed to run at say 65% of it..  when I felt like I needed to walk I'd check it and see if I really did - if it was still in or near the zone I realised I just needed to man-up and carry on (about 80% of the time this was the case), if I was over I just slowed to a jog rather than a walk If I could and only walked when really necessary to lower the HR.  I'd soon got confidence I could really run longer than I thought.

I've run a couple of sub 1:45 HM without stopping - but I still sometimes get the overwhelming urge to walk on some slow 6 mile training runs - no idea why - sometimes you just have to not give in.

• Thanks Daeve, I think you have hit the nail on the head with the "sometimes you have to just not give in". I do give up far too easily and it's a battle of wills between my split personalities  to try and keep running! 

Im trying now to convince myself to do an extra count to 100 when I want to stop and sometimes I do that and keep going anyway,

Booktrunk also saw my garmin stats and told me to slow down...cos my wriggly pace line looked like the alps skyline, and last night I did just that and managed to keep running much longer  than usual. Still, I didn't realise I could slow down more then the already ridiculously slow speed I try and maintain! 

Im realising this is a long term commitment to become a runner, for some reason I had imagined by now I would be leaping out of bed, casually running a 5 miler before breakfast and half marathons for weekend entertainmention. Well, ok, not quite, but i did think I would be running sub 30 5ks. 

On the flip side though I'm realising I don't actually care.....I like the thing I call running (my slow, lop sided, red faced huff puffing jaunt) so even if I am last in every event I enter I'm not quitting! 

• Hi guys. I still read about walking as something that is actually 'not done' in the opinion of many runners.

I am doing a short schedule now for a 15K race in three weeks. For a change I train without RWR now. I am a lot slower and I don't like it as much. It is a nice different incentive for my body, but still.... As soon as I can proceed with the ultra training for the 33miler I will do my long runs RWR again

You can NEVER run TOO slow on the slow long distance run. 

@ cascita: why are you running 4 times a week? rest is training and quite an important part of it as well. Why not do some cross training? Swimming or walking? The better your basis, the sooner you will jump out of bed in the morning doing your 5K without any problem and be fit during the day as well image Speed is not important in the beginning. i am ever so happy that I did not even own a watch when I started my 0 to 30 minute program in 2009. 

Happy running

• Hi RunningMax - I came into this running lark late on in life, I'm 47 now, and for some daft reason that I still don't quite understand I suddenly decided to enter the London marathon for charity, having never run in my life. So I downloaded an asics plan to get training in Sept and it says 4 times a week, so that's what I do.

I still need to take walk breaks, and I guess I worry that I am not a 'real' runner because of that, but then after talking to people on this forum I realise that really there are no rules for beginenrs - and I can do whatever feels best to keep me motivated and keen.

I bought Jeff Galloways RWR book and like the idea behind it and I try and follow that but there is still a part of me that wants to run faster, longer, better!

That said I think now I had come to terms with the fact that it will take time for my body to lose the 2 stone I need gone, get fit after a lifetime of no exercise and learn to enjoy the sport.

I hate swimming with a passion - I love hiking, good 10 miles stomps in the hills are my fave, so I spent the weekend doing that and just chilled a bit.

It worked, i felt super motivated to go out last night and I ran 4.25 miles, super slow, as I said but i ENJOYED it!!

Thanks for the comments - it makes me feel a lot better to know there is no such thing as too slow!

• @ cascita: you WILL run better, faster and more when you build up slowly. I am 46 nog, started in 2009 so I am also a late starter. Could not run a meter during my child hood so no talent here. But even I am improving. But I take my time. There is no hurry. I also want to run the wall ultra (69 miles) but there is plenty of time. Same for you. You did enter, so go for it but... don't run with a time goal in your mind. Build up slowly. Train slowly, give you body the chance to recover and to adapt to all the changes that are necessary for running. We tend to forget that there is so much work to do for the body. Adaptation for muscles, tendons, bones, but also mitochondria etc. Suddenly you are not only sitting behind a desk, but you want to run! Your body is working hard for you to give you that pleasure but be gentle for your body.

After the London marathon you want to proceed. You will know you can run the distance. Again: I would strongly recommend the RWR approach. You ARE a REAL runner, also with the RWR approach. You know.. people talk badly about walking because that is what people HAVE to do when they are too tired. At the end! But if you start with RWR YOU are probably the one with energy at the end to keep running (if you would want to at all).

Don't look at others. Don't look at training or race times from others. I see a lot of people wanting to run 10K in 60 mins during their training over and over again when they don't even race that. That is not smart. 

Trust me, you will become a better runner over time. But give it time. Focus on your body and distance now. How long are you running now exactly? Forgive me if I ask something again or something that I can find for myself in the thread... but did you run a 5K race already or not? I only ask since it gives you an idea of proper training times (can't be too slow on the long runs!!)

I think you are doing great but please be assured that you simply need some time. I also would ask someone from a local trainingcentre to take a look at the schedule for you. For a beginner I think 4 times a week is a bit much. 1 day rest after each training session is good.

• Jellybelly (I keep calling you jelly baby)

so fastest 5k 26:34 

in practise I'm running 10k's between 59 and 66 minutes depending on pretty much how I feel when my trainers hit the pavement. 

The perceived effort is getting easier. For instance I did 5 miles / 8km after work last night in 48:42 so around 6:05 per km and my heart rate averaged 137 a few months ago that effort would have had my hr in the mid 140s so with practise it gets easier. 

• Thanks Booktrunk

did you always use heart rate before you got the new 620?

• Not much I used it every few weeks but not daily as it couldn't seem to read my heart and lots of runs it spiked then said I was at a hr of 60 mid run, but new strap is actually reliable every time image

• Thank you for the info in this post as a new (and older runner!) I have been really struggling with getting the distance and trying to keep it slow.

I went out the other day and found that allowing myself to walk during the first couple of miles really helped, I did one mile then a couple mins walk twice. I must have warmed up by doing that and was able to run continuously for a further 6 miles, no walking!!!  and didn't feel fatigued. If my HR got too high I had a good talk to myself and slowed down! I think the first mile or two are often the hardest and then I seemed to find a rhythm. So thanks this really helped. Allowing/forcing a walk in the early stages helped long term I think both physically and mentally.

Next week 7 miles continuously...??!! image

• > @literatin said:
    > Thinking back to when I started running I only took a walk break once, in the very first run I did. BUT... I'd been told by running friends to go ludicrously slowly in the running part, i.e. not even 50% faster than normal walking pace. It feels stupid, but it works. You can gradually speed up again once you don't need the walk breaks.

> @booktrunk said:
    > It does seem there are two ways of getting there, really, really slow and no walking, or faster but having to walk, at some point I guess after x weeks you meet up in the middle
    >
    > Don't worry about it, most London Marathon plans don't begin to Late December, you still have another couple of months, considering how far you have come in the last 8 weeks, in another 8 weeks time you will be comfortably doing 5k non stop at least. It's not a linear progression, you find some days you just have a sudden hop in performance where you push it and things work.  Once you've done something once, it then makes it a lot eaiser the second time.
    That is good info, I will try jogging slowly on the treadmill and increasing the pace slightly by 0.1-0.2 every 2-3 gym/workout sessions.
  • kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    I’ve got a 10k coming up in 2 weeks I can slowly run all way which I did end of February. Since then I haven’t done much. I may be having run with man who organises the 10k. He is like run all way so after a few runs with him I’m like running slowly. I’m thinking of trying a run walk run and a run all way practice on same route just to compare times and mention it to the man and see what he thinks I should do. Considering he wants everyone done in 90 min it mite be best to try the run walk run if that is bit faster. 
  • I've always found running to be more mentally challenging than physically, whenever I want to stop and walk I just slow pace and breathe more. Try flatter routes if that helps, go for 1 mile continuous, then 1.5 miles continuous, 2 miles, if you can run 2 miles continuously you can run 3 miles continuously, run a few 5ks continuously you can run 10k. If you can run 10k continuously you can run 10 miles. Thats what I've found out for myself anyway.

Good luck with the rest of your training