Asics gel 1160

I have recently switched from Nike air Pegasus to asics gel 1160 due to a knee injury and my pain has more or less subsided but I am finding it very hard to get the same speed I had with the Pegasus , I am running at least 4 minutes slower than normal . I find the asics harder to run in even thought I was given a gait analalis and told this was the most suitable shoe for me . Should I go for a slightly lighter shoe or just stick with the 1160 ???

Comments

• You have gone from a neutral shoe to one designed for mild/moderate pronators. If they helped in getting rid of knee pain then give them a proper go. For something similar but a little lighter than 1160 / 1170s, you could try Asics DS trainers. 1160 /1170s are my main shoe
  • I am on my second pair of 1170s and they are fine for me. The Asics DS Trainers, as mentioned above, are more of a racing shoe, so if speed is more important to you, than sorting out your knee problem, then give them a try.

• I've had a few pairs of 11XX and don't consider them particuarly heavy:  Good daily trainer.  As previous posters say there is the DS trainer and also DS racer, which are suitable for overpronators but lighter with less cushioning (and probably less durable).

You say you are now 4mins slower.  Over what distance is that?  

• Thanks for the all the replies I think il stick with the 1160 untill the marathon in June then maybe try out a few other options if I don't get my timing back . I've lost 4 mins over 5 miles its not much but I was really working on getting a better time when I injured my knee but getting my knee right again is more important than time . I'm hoping to do a sub 4.30 for my first ever full Marathon .
  • your drop in time could be because you had an injury more than the shoes, did you have to take time out because of it?

• Dee, I ran 3 marathons in 1160s and they were a really comfortable shoe. Just got some 1170's for £41 from Sweatshop. 1160s RIP.

• Yep I had 3 weeks off due to injury and flu so I'd say that has more to do with my drop in time than the shoe but I'm still finding them hard to run in .......but he'll they are helping my knee so il keep with them .image thanks again for advice .
  • Can someone tell me what happened to the 11xx series - I ran in the 1100 to 1160 models but can't see any obvious successor now - is there a similar shoe in the Asics range now?

• GT1000 is the successor for the 11xx range. GT2000 for the 12xx's. .....