Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hey where's the rest Buttercup???

• Gah forgot about that cut off thing image

metres or so ahead of me.  As we hit the side streets again I, inappropriately, thought feck it! And ran to catch her – it was mostly all uphill gradient to the high school – I caught her as we entered the school grounds.  Unfortunately the ground by this point was rather soft and I had no trail shoes on – but tapped her on the small of the back and said come on then – she took one look at me and started running hard towards the finish line!  I laughed and sprinted as far as I could – obviously we both could’ve run the race faster as we sprinted to the finish line – she beat me by 1 second – loved it.  Loved the race photos of our finish too!

Gun time for the 7 miles was 1:09:02 but my garmin says the actual time was around 1:08:35 and after downloading my run data I found I had a new PB for my 10K of 58.45 (moving time) which I was stoked with. image I now need to revise next years run targets!  I think I must just run better in the cold than warmer weather!  Had a lovely run and Caz and Andy brought the team home with their game faces on – we are so running more races now Mrs!!  And we’re running this one again next year – aye MC!!

• Top work Buttercup. Becoming a wee speed demon!

Well done at the park run Mikasa.. Always difficult when decidedly damp! Same to you Steady with your top supporting. Is Dave truly cheerful?

Maths - how do you feel weird?

Im feeling poo today. Struggled through work, collapsed on the sofa when home. Not really moved since. Missed a bike and swim - irritated image

• oh, just lost my post!!

great report buttercup and well done. I'll join you next year

I am feeling fine now MrsD, spinning sorted me out! Hope you are ok, rest up

• Mrs D, call it a medicinal day off and hope you feel better in the morning.
    Cheerful Dave was cheerful as he is back training again. The laps for the race are 8 miles long so it is a tough challenge, not many women doing it. Some were not dressed for the weather so many DNFs.

My legs are aching so more stretching and I will see how I feel in the morning for a ride. Mudguards still need to be attached to the bike.

• Congratulations on the new job Mikasa! Great news.

Well done Buttercup! Great report image

I was sweeper at parkrun this morning too. Wasn't feeling well yesterday and spent most of it in bed so was pleased to have an excuse to plod round in my slowest time ever.

• chili - hope you are feeling better today

put the winter duvet on the bed yesterday and just couldn't get up early for a run this morningimage will go later though, will be nicer to run in the sun this afternoon when it is a bit warmer anyway and I have got some of my marking out of the way

• My bike ride this morning was in sunshine but it was cold. Very happy as I did 22 miles, 1000ft of climbing at an average of 12.6mph.
    I really do need thicker gloves, tights and overshoes. My longer rides are probably going to be on the turbo when the weather gets worse.

Week 1 is done and only missed 2 sessions. I will aim for the same again this coming week as I want consistency more than anything.

• well done steady, maybe cleaning the oven should count as a strength session?

• MC, I don't know about that, but I will need to stretch the hamstrings out even more from the bending down and getting on hands and knees.

I missed doing a local 10k run this morning but did not feel bad about it at all, as I know that I could not run it at present and it is a bit lumpy. I am feeling that the regular rides are making my legs stronger, so I can build the running slowly.

My shins are aching so much now, not sure what to do apart from the usual, ice and stretches, may put on compression socks to see if that helps.

• Glad feeling better Maths. Hope Chili feels better. I had another 'medicinal' day yesterday. Turboed 30mins this morning to stir the cobwebs! 

Aw Steady, hope the shins play the game. I find that the most difficult pain to deal with. Plenty of 10k's about image

• slightly off topic - however was anyone else's energy gels started leaking?

got a bunch of high 5 ones on offer with long useby dates on them, but noticed this morning that a few of them have leaked through at the bottoms and covered the rest with wonderful sticky energy goodness.

is this the norm?

• Yeah I had that with Hi five gels - have been using 2ndsurge ones havent had that prob lately.

• Bud don't use gel's but from experiance it's not uncommon daft quation but have they been stored somewhere with a varible temp? If they have I bet that's what's caused it.

mathschick wrote (see)

where has everyone gone? 

Mind you - I am trying to read through the Pirate Race Team thread, although I am only half way through and it seems to have gone off the rails a bit

image Gave up on it sometimes folks lose persective because they are target fixated on there own goals. Id just ignore the thread it's not refective of the pirates as a whole and for some of it think folks have ever missed the point or got the wrong end of a stick.

• Buttercup - loving the write-up, way to sprint finish, so pleased you got some cool photos as well.  image

Hi guys,
    I'm just gonna take a bit of a break from forum life, I'm constantly bouncing off of injuries and cold bugs at the moment, it's just become silly and it's destroying any consistency and giving me nothing useful to contribute. 

I'll go rebuild my base, get used to my new clipless pedals etc. and once I get back to a more positive place again,  I'll feel better about joining in. 

No biggy, I just didn't want to disappear for a few more weeks without a word.

• South Yorkshire canoe triathlon race report

Bookie pointed this out to me a bit back and was integed by the idea. So entered it for a laugh. I’m a ex canoe instructor so for once I through I might not be out of the water last?

Pre race. We got lost on the way and had some lovely views of the yorkshire countryside for about 30 minutes working out where to go. This was very embarrassing as it’s right on our doorstep and only about 10 miles away. Finally found the place and got there at exactly the same time as Tom and Mima duck off the mundane thread. Registered got put in wave 3 and waited for the race briefing. The briefing was short and sweet basically go to one end of the lake and back and head out for the bike. Enjoyed a lot the laughter as they pointed out heavy rain yesterday so the bike course was flooded in parts and heavy mud. Didn’t quite grasp what that actually meant.

Canoe

Due to the organiser’s not know what standard the folks where the canoe’s where open top banana boat type things and absolute pigs to paddle.  Got rammed and spun around at the start from someone who didn’t know what they were doing so didn’t have a good start and had to try and catch folks up. Enjoyed being in the water a lot and miss my old salon canoe correcting dust at my dad’s. Finished near the back but not anywhere near the last person out of the water. The difference between the people who came with there own boat’s and boats there on the day was noticeable. Saw the technique of some of the paddling and think some of them had borrowed canoe’s and was there first time in the water. IF I ever do this race again I’m bringing my own boat.

T1 had a laugh kissed a marshall to his great concern and headed out on the bike. image

• Bike

This was a mountain bike tri and assumed wrongly that due to the location it would all be on the trans Pennine trail it wasn’t. I should have got a thought when I notices I was the only person there with cleat’s on their bike. Was cross country with a bmx/mountain bike loops in some woods. I loved it but was the most technique bike route I’ve done since I was 10 and on a BMX and had to walk large parts of it with the amount of mud there. Many of the bikes where so caked in mud that there back trye’s where solid with it and was very hard going. I quickly fell to the back but managed not to fall over. Bu the second loop with some coaching from a very nice sweeper I had got the basic’s sorted a lot for a novice and was making some progress and even tried a bunny hoop at one point. Enjoyed it a lot but wasn’t exacly going to win anything. Anyone old enough think off kick start and you’ve found the level. Some of it would be classed as a black route if that help’s

Got back to the T2 point very muddy slightly fed up with myself for not checking the route better generally looking forward to the run.

T2 sarah ran away as she didn’t want a hug I thought that was mean of her.

Run

It was mostly flat a laugh and quickly got the some of the other runner’s in sight my legs where shredded from the bike but sill did ok ish with 9 minute miles. Had a chat with another runner who had problems on the bike and after targeting him for a mile of so make sure I went the wrong way for the finish line as the poor bloke was terrified he was going to finish last. Sssshhhh I won’t tell if you don’t.

All in all this was a top race and they should do more. If I go back to it will be with my own bike and with BMX peddle’s just in case. It was brilliant!!!!!!!!. image

• Dawn don't worry about the injures but don't be a stranger mate.

• Cake wrote (see)

Dawn don't worry about the injures but don't be a stranger mate.

Cheers Cake, great report -  loved the photos from yesterday, glad you all had fun mate.

• Great report Cake, looked good fun even if it was rather muddy.

• cake - great report, sounds like fun, but maybe not quite my kind of fun!

I gave up on the Pirate race team thread, decided it wasn't worth spending my weekend reading it!

Dawn Shadow, I find it helpful to still post on the forums even when injured - and this time last year I was on crutches. Helps to keep in touch and keep a perspective on things sometimes

anyway, seemed to struggle to sleep last night, I think I am still suffering from hayfever but I had stopped taking my hayfever tablets because it is the middle of November! Don't know what it is that is growing and bothering me. So today is going to be a rest day and I am going to skip swimming too - very unlike me but hopefully an early night and a good sleep will mean the rest of the week will be more productive - both in terms of training and work!

• Cheers MC, this corner of the tri forum is a great place for support and it's very much appreciated, I'll soon be back for a dose of reassurance and/or bottom kicking.

• Good to hear Cake well done!

Dawn Shadow - could be a good time to set some goals and properly plan out what you want to do? A little break could do you good too by the sounds of it image

Another cycling session today doing intervals on the spin bike. WOW it was cold this morning on the way out at 7am, much warmer on the way back when it started raining a bit. Wouldn't mind a bit of drizzle for tomorrow's run please!

• Good job Cake cracking report image back on the beastie bike this morning - all seems to be in working order image 

Just got an email from the Full Boar events peeps no Oly next year just two  sprints and the Half IM.  So sprint it is boys and girls image 

Dont be a stranger DS!!  No rain please Beanpole Im running in the morning to work cold is good wet no thanks!

• When is the sprint buttercup? I am hoping the HIM is beginning of September like this year

• 7th September for the HIM image and Sprint on the 18th of May image

• Great report Cake image

Good luck with things DS look forward to your return when you will no doubt come back stronger.

Arranged my training so I could have the weekend off and spent it with my parents, visited Stonehenge for the first time, turboed this morning and then drove 5 hours to Norwich. . . . .long way from anywhere.

Got a meeting with British Cycling tomorrow evening about women's cycle racing image

• ooh that's exciting ecosealimage

oh, I thought I had posted earlier in reply to buttercup - wonder what happened to it?

buttercup - I am thinking that the bosworth sprint might be better to do than the beaver, seeing as the beaver is the week before outlaw half, and I do want to do an OW tri before outlaw half. Only trouble is, my son's birthday is the 19th so I'll have to wait to find out what he wants to do for his birthday

• Well, survived london, no proper exercise although standing in a crowd with my 9 year old on my shoulders should count for something...and running for the flight when we're delayed in traffic...and a forced march around various sites and parks...so not entirely lazy.

London joggers are mad. Why do they try to jog through the tourist crowds? Surely there are routes that don't take them passed the london eye...

• Maths if needed there should be a few openwater tri's up north around march time There is normally a good one at wetherby just before easter but chuffing freezing water.