Druid Challenge 2013

Hi Folks

I know its a bit early, but..... I'm pretty certain that ill be doing the Druids Challenge 3 day event (XNRG) this year. I'm more than happy with the distances involved and the nav (famous last words!!). What does concern me is the transport arrangements (to get from the finish back to the start where my car will be). I don't really want to be having to jump on and off public transport and sort out connections when I'm banjoed post 80 ish mile yomp image.

I wondered if anyone has previous experience of this logistical issue from past Druids events. The organisers have said they will try to accommodate a lift from Swindon back to Tring but I don't want to have to rely on this???

Cheersimage

Comments

• Why are you worried about the lift back to Tring?  I have always found it totally reliable. 

• Hi BBH, I was just planning ahead and ticking all of the boxes. The lift from the organisers isn't a definite thing according to the web site, I just don't want to finish the race and have to sort out transport
  • The organisers are based at Tring and the ans have to be returned there.  You might have to hang around a bit for the slower ones to finish.  If really worried contact Neil for reassurance on this point.

• Cheers BBH. It's not a deal clenched, I just like to be prepared. I didn't realist the organisers are based there. Are you doing this years?
  • Probably not as 'im indoors is getting a bit fragile and I don't want to be away for more than one night at a time, but I've done them all to date and wish I could do this one.

• I seem to remember swearing, "Never again" after the Vanguard's Way.  

One unfortunate credit card moment later and it looks like I'm signed up for this.  Oops.  Can't wait.

Any advice, particularly on planning/logistics?  This is the first race I'll have done away from home.

• Is anyone driving to the event from Bournemouth/Southampton area?

• Peronel - I've not done the Druid but I did do the Pilgrim's in 2012. On the Pilgrim we slept in the sports hall (cold with a hard floor) - I presume its the same here. Bring a warm sleeping bag and a comfy sleeping mat. I also made the mistake of forgetting to carry cash (left in the car by accident), which means no goodies at the evening stops and no emergency options should you need to bail out early.

I'm doing this event this year - I live in Wantage and have seen it come through most years as we swim on the Saturday afternoon at the pool (don't forget swimming stuff if you like that kind of thing). It will be fund to do it (but I plan to sleep in my bed on Saturday evening).

• Thanks, but sadly family drama has meant I've had to drop out of this, which is intensely annoying.  How dare they mess with my ultrarunning dreams, harrumph.  

• Sorry about that Peronel - Hope you have another go - the V******* W*** was a bit of a disaster and in no way reflects the normal standard of XNRG's events.  MuddlingAbout - am doing it this year after all, so might see you at some point.

• Do you know if recharging Garmin is going to be a problem between stages? I'm not very likely to get through the whole thing on one charge.

• Part of me is perversely proud at finishing the race that shall never be named.

Enjoy Druids.

• Pawel - there are lots of power points provided at the night stop overs so you should be ok.

• Good luck everyone doing it this year - I did it last year and it was excellent.  We had excellent weather conditions mind you, it might be a bit muddy this year.

Enjoy!

• Errrmmm - I seem to remember qite a bit of mud - perhaps that was because I was at the back and it had got very churned up by thenimage.

• Maybe it's my rose-tinted specs BBH!

Guaranteed mud this year though, it's been raining quite heavily this week.  It'll still be good.

• Richlyla - there was indeed mud - but what was worse it the rain started Friday afternoon and kept on.  That meant the sections that were usually easily negotiable became a slidey nightmare and the bits that were usually dificult became justimage.  I got in so late that night I knew there was no way I could make a 7am start and the thought of more mud made me lose the will to live, so I started at CP2.  I was glad I made that decision as I was able to complete Day 3.

As ever Neil and crew were incredibly friendly and accomodating which is what makes their events so special.

• Hi Bear - yes the section leading into day2 CP2 was rather dispiriting - probably my low point I guess. I think a couple of runners retired there hypothermic (or at least cold). Day 3 was nice though - what time did you finish?

• Day three weather looked good - I live near Uffington and it was really clear skies.  I do remember a squelchy bit by the Thames possibly near streatly last year.  Must have been pretty bad as you mentioned.

As soon as I get paid I will be entering the Cotswold Run for April.  Really looking forward to it. I was really impressed with XNRG and your comments only add to that.

Congratulations to you both.

• Hi MuddlingAbout - great to meet you.  I finished about 10 to 4 on Day 3 - about 20-30 minutes quicker than my normal slow plod.  Even with a much later start on Day 2 I found it cold and did a quick divert into Goring to buty a pair of gloves (along with the Saturday papers) as my hi tech waterproof ones were still wet through.  The low tech £1.50 pair I bought did very nicely.

Will be entering the Cotswold event so see you there Richyla.

• Just wanted to add to the positive comments already on this thread. The event was a challenge for lots of reasons, Friday afternoon was hard work in the driving rain and mud. But the XNRG team really worked hard and were so welcoming, I would recommend one of their events to anyone. Now seriously thinking about Round the Island next June. 

• Hi Bear, We finished about 1:40. 4pm sounds pretty civilised after your late finish on Friday. I love the idea of popping into Goring for the papers! How did you keep them dry? I had a good day although quite a bit of teeth gritting was done (particularly on the last road section). XNRG are a great bunch, I've really enjoyed their events. I'll have to see if I can fit another in (finance, appropriate family permissions, racing strategy etc etc).

• I asked for a plastic bag (duly recycled to put my muddy shoes in).  Yes the last section is a bit.... but much better than the original finish at Barbury Castle which was just a large freezing tent and rather nasty loos - no showers, changing facilities etc.  Btw - was it you in the onesy on Day 3 - was a bit dozey and just saw a colourful blur.

• Probably not! I was in grey top and black trousers on Day 3 as the green Minimus was in the bag. I remember passing but its all a bit of a blur  (not because of my speed mind) quite honestly.

• 1.40 finish sounds great - it is about the same as me on Day2 only doing half the distance.