running in the sun

Hi all,

Long time lurker, finally getting involved in posting.

I have commited myself to running the Manchester marathon in April next year. This will be my first marathon and I'm both excited and daunted by the training before me. I've run and cycled semi-consistantly over the last few years; usually going for a few months of solid training only to go for a few months where I lose consistency. I've also run a couple of half marathons. My PB is 1.46, which is obviously not world record pace, but I'm certainly satisfied with it as it came off the back of one of my very inconsistent phases. To get to the point, I'm determined that I will train properly for the marathon and would love to be able to extend my half marathon pace to the full marathon and get a time around 3.30. Which I recognise might be slightly ambitious for my first marathon and I will be more than satisfied with sub 4 hours. Now here come the rub. For at least the next few months I will be working in south China, where it is at least 30oC every day. I have been following Hal Higdon's spring training schedule for the last 4 days and it's been ok; slow but ok. I intend to complete this and then move on to his Marthon PB schedule: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51150/Marathon-Personal-Best-Training-Program

I suppose what I'm asking is, does anyone have experience of, and tips for, running in high temperatures. I will of course be trying to keep my running to the coolest parts of the day and drink plenty of water. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Not been running long, but all of it has been in Hong Kong

I either run before 6:30am or after 8:00pm - anytime between these hours is just too hot for me.

I use a HRM and on hot days, my HR can be around 10 BPM higher simply because my heart is working harder to cool my body down, so I just drop the intensity a little to compensate.

Instead of using a camelback or similar, I tend to run with a bottle belt - this way I have some to chuck over me or down my back.

Although the temperature in South China is always fairly constant, there are a lot of rainy days which can provide some relief to running in the heat and humidity.  I also try to pick routes where at least part of the road is in shade.

Oh, and lots of vaseline and mosquito repellant!

• Daniel,

My HM PB is 4 minutes faster than yours and after 2 marathons I am still trying to go sub 4.  My training runs suggested I was capable of 3.40 but that has yet to materialise.  For your first marathon I would suggest the only target you set yourself is to finish and of course enjoy it.  Obviously running in the heat is more difficult and if I can avoid the hottest part of the day I will do.  I use a hydration belt rather than carrying a water bottle.  If you are running your long runs in that heat you really need to drop the pace to about 9.30 - 10 MM.

Good Luck

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sun block and water in large amounts.

🙂

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Just to give an opposite view from Daz, I ran my first marathon in 3:46 off a 1.45 half.  So it can be done.  I just used the Runners World sub-3:45 plan.  

• Daniel,  there are plenty of running clubs over this side with a large expat contingent, but I am waiting till my pace is slightly higher than a glacier before thinking about joining any!  Running and triathlons seem to be very poular here and there are no shortage of races from around October through till May when things get a little cooler.  My own target is to run either the Standard Chartered or China Coast marathon early next year without the assitance of a defibrialator.

There are a lot of 'sitting out areas' in the cities that have running tracks, but I try to avoid using them as most people using them seem to have an iPhone glued to their face.

Good luck with your training - with a cylone moving this way, you might at least get a few cooler days this week.

• McFlooze - I am going to follow the same plan!  Good running.  Hopefully I can do the same!

• damn, i'm moving to guangzhou in the not too distant future...have a full winter of training before receiving the HEAT...

• Hi, I was working in Qatar this summer which can get very humid as well as extremely hot. Actually stopping for a few minutes in a shady area once or twice to drink rather than just taking on water on the run can help. Accepting that you will have to run quite a bit slower than in the UK is also a good idea. Perhaps do any speedwork in your plan on a treadmill in an air-conditioned gym. Good luck!