Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CRAB - looks like you still hold it. I never made the results (although someone just ahead of me hasnt either).

• Dids: Not the best result but probably the best race report.

TR: How much off the old pb was that? Nice run.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB - my PB is 79:50 from Solent 1/2 in Oct.

• TR "I never made the results" -- for cripes sake make a fuss and get reinstated! (I did in the Cambridge half in 2012, when they had trouble with back-of-the-number chips, otherwise I'd have missed out on a prize voucher.) Though we'll know what you did, anyway.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - i sent an email, I can see another 2 folks I knew finished just ahead of me are missing too, results only show 14XX finishers, they took 2000 entries. Not sure how they can get missed times back though.......kind of funny that CRAB still holds my PB after all.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

TR - cracking run, nice one

13m for me just now, pretty sure that's my longest run in the road this year (which says it all really)

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Great read Dids and well done on still bagging the sub3.

Joolska nice PB good consistent running.

TR - thats a great run on a dicky calf.  nice stuff.  Hope you get the results in, but really, it doesn't mater does it would be kind of funny if CRAB held your PB for a while more.  Might get you out the door again next year for a fast half!  Shows that you could def get that 2:4x if you really wanted as well but WE all knew that already aye.

DanA.  sod u for posting that link to the other thread a while back.  i must have lost a few days of my life reading all that!  some funny stuff in there though i must admit.  the odd qualitiy posts from Dachs and PP too. speaking of PP, those rowing times look crazy fast to me (having done a little cross training on the rowing machine as well lately).  Good luck with the "race".

Padams, great read (again) and love the tan lines.

not much to report my end, still HOPING to one day become a runner again, but no where near yet, in fact zero running for the last week as i have injured something else.  will be back to a slow build up again hopefully in a week or two.

nice training as ever from loads of others, SL stands out wiht off road madness, some of those long off road races really appeal to me (in fact i was entered in the Wall (but cruisy 2 day version for some fun) but ended up having knee op and on crutches for 6 weeks when that was on the first time last year.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

The Full on Sports results show loads of DNSs and DNFs against folks that I know finished, so its not just me. From the results that have been captured I reckon I did 1:18:18, so I'm claiming that.

Selbs - keep plugging away.

So.........78 shape is better than I usually am at this time of year, a few races and some 30sec reps at lunch seem to have improved me a bit, plus extrr miles through the summer (due to my ABo number). I still have a commitment to swim and bike, so wont ever do the run only approach, but CW can relax a bit this VLM campaign as I have a new case study.....me !...............instead of plodding commutes, I plan on (from January) a long run, the Tues BAC session (done on my jack at home), 1 longer tempo or 8x1M or 16x0.5M rep session I did in the summer and maybe another couple of easy runs here and there. Not sure how I'll fit them in, might have to commute them still......a change should do me good.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Selbs.. I remember when you came up north & ran a stormer at the York BM, keep the faith fella.  Sorry to hear you're struggling a bit.

TR.. cracking run me old mucker. Congrats on the PB, hope you get your proper time/position.

Dids.. epic & fab report as usual.  Enjoy the beers etc!  Also thanks for flying the flag for the coffin dodgers.

Jools.. brilliantly done!  I have fond memories of that course from my youth.  I think you have just matched my best time on that course.  Not that you would have known but at 8.5k you do pass the finest Indian restaurant in the district! 

RS.. nice MLR.  Good to see you on the York BM startlist.

10.5m today inc. approx 5m club xc.  Decent conditions, finished 3rd/18.  I have to offer thanks to CW for the X-Talon thumbs-up.  Fabulous grip on the muddy/watery sections.  

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

CW - cheers, they've been noted, sound good. Aiming to start some quality stuff this week. Aiming at a sub 1.18 at Fleet in March I think. Doable with the right training And a full xc season.....and staying injury free.

Wardi - be good to say hello to you before BM image Talons are meant to be class yeah, Im thinking of getting some for the fells but I think theyre too narrow for me feet.

Jools - well done

• TR: Nice pb, well done.

LD: Cracking report, made my evening

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Wardi - I meant to say, good to see u back at it and your holiday sounded awesome. That brass monkey was prob the fittest I have ever been (but bit windy to turn it into a good pb) but also the last proper race I have run!!!

• LD. Nice report.  Sorry it wasn't your day, but it must be satisfying to have at least been out there with a shot at glory given your impaired prep.  

Nice PB from Jools- that's the way to do it. 

Looks like a good run TR. 

• Wardi -- nice one in the XC, glad you liked the shoes.

Speaking of off-road shoes, I failed to comment on SL's epic -- sounded very BGR-esque. Stern stuff.

• TR - Well done on the PB, and good to see your plans for some quality sessions. I reckon you might just enjoy the variety, not to mention getting into 2:4x territory, hopefully!

Dids - Can I commission you to produce my Berlin '14 report please?  Absolute class!!

Jools - Cheeky but impressive PB. I think you've started a "sub-3" era where the times start tumbling!

CD/wardi - Tasty XCing.

selbs - Keep the faith fella. I can thoroughly recommend the gym for keeping some sanity...

I felt a bit two-day-hungover when I got to the gym this morning and was anticipating another suffer-fest on the Concept 2, but it all felt OK once I got going.  Tried the usual tactic of going off a bit quicker than the last time for the same session, but ended up getting quicker rather than dying this time.  4 x 2k (5 mins recovery) went 7:09.3, 7:08.3, 7:07.3, 7:06.2. I was even getting quicker in the last 500m of the last rep, which is when things usually start getting ragged, so technique seems to be improving nicely.  I should probably try another 2k TT soon.

Oh, and a weigh-in this morning. I've been a right piggy this weekend, which may partly explain being four pounds heavier (11st 5) than my last weigh-in, so just another five pounds to play with to still make "lightweight". I'd best behave myself over the next three weeks I think, just to make sure!

• Dids, will you write my XC report for today as well please? It would be so much more entertaining than my version. 

My version - ran 5k in the last 7 days, had an assortment of injuries and niggles, some caused by gym classes, some by idiocy. Toed the line with no expectations. Won by a clear margin. Go figure. 

• LD tres bien. Going to read the report again, worth a second read.

TR nice PB.

Today took me to Carlise for the UK's oldest road race. Never ran a 10 miler so was going to be a PB. Finished in 60:18 and not dissapointed to have missed sub 60, as I was hoping to get below 62 minutes. Took a minute of  my 10km PB as well. 3 weeks out from pre London Marathon marathon now and a great confidence booster.

• TB - was that Brampton to Carlisle? I did that a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, although not as fast as you. Good lad.
  • LD great report! Well battled for the sub3h, even if it didn't quite happen on the day. Love the descriptions and you certainly seem to have dug in on a less-than-ideal course. Bravo.

Bufo that's superb. Shifting some - blimey!

SL - amazing 25m.

Jools another pb. What a great year of running. Superb.

TR another tremendous half from you. Superb pb. That is dreadful about 2nd and 3rd going off course though. Shouldn't happen with proper marshalling. They must be livid. Also poor on the chip time issues. Anyway, back to you: what a great period of autumn/early winter racing.

CD great podium finish and the sharpening back will come. Top work from you.

TB terrific 10m by the sounds of it. Very good time: was it undulating or flat profile course? Great work either way.

Wardi nice one from you

PP excellent training and quaffing image

We're waiting on the Jimbob re. Valencia marathon ...

Had a lovely two and a half hour long run to bring up 60m for the week. Hope I don't feel that in the legs next weekend but it's a hilly 10 miler I've entered so not expecting a quick time.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PP - your point the other week about doing a bit more quality as well as swim and bike reinforced the idea for me.

HR - maybe a race too far, but pleased with a 78.

Dids - no not Carlisle, Gosport. I get a nosebleed if I go north of Petersfield.

The race officials are claiming that the PA sytem was interfering with the chips at the finish line, the results on Full on Sports have been updated. I'm still missing. The results show that 1st V45 was about a minute after me too (unless there's someone else in the same boat).

• Evening peeps, just got back to North London. One might say I'm beat. Had a stormer today in Valencia, big pb at 3.05 something ..... I flew..... Increased my boston chances. Very happy, its been a great year for me. No races now till march, planning to rest and then knuckle down. I will come back on tomorrow with more details on Valencia image

• Congratulations, Jimbob.  Bet you're still smiling.

• ha ha - its more like a wince!

• Well done Jimbob - you have saved British Marathon running from continental ridicule.
  • TR - sorry, I meant TB.
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Excellent news Jimbob, well done. and to Dids, respect on the digging in mentality and for the report! More pbs over the weekend as well. congratulations!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jimbob - fantastic, well done on the big PB. Sub 3 well within range now with a bit more training.

LD - awesome report and well done on hanging on for the sub 3.

Jools - amazing judgement for the Bubka PB!

Bufo - that's a ridiculous improvement in one year. Good luck for the team selection.

TR - nicely done, more-or-less what I predicted for you. When I was riding yesterday in still conditions I thought of you having no wind on the coast. Hope the calf isn't too bad - I'm sure it was worth it though!

CC2 - obviously you were nicely tapered! Well done.

TB - nearly two mins under your estimate, can't complain! Now you just need to find 19 secs.

SL - that sounds like fun! Well, probably not to most people, but it does to the strange type of people on this thread.

Two days of easy but longer stuff for me - about 2 hours running on Saturday morning (lovely crisp sunny morning), then 3 hours cycling yesterday (got soaked but it technically wasn't raining - the water just seemed to be floating in the air!).

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Dids - That's one brilliant race report, just needs some patriotic backing music and it's make the next cinematic epic!

TR - Good work on the half PB, saw you very briefly just before the start and gave you a shout of encouragement (and a thumbs up) as we past each other on the seafront road double back section at mile 10/11, but I think you were a bit into the "zone" at the point! Bugger about the results, still doesn't seem to be sorted for you image You're right in saying that It's not actually a great course, but it has a fast reputation in good conditions (like yesterday). I either love it or hate it, yesterday I was erring towards the latter....

JImbob - Top marks for the PB in Spain

Well done on  squeezing the new PB out Jools (dip on the line?), excellent XC performance bufo, a gruelling sounding uber-long run SL, well done onthe 10M PB TB and a nice bit of XC racing CD, Wardi and Speedy (great win!)

1:14:54 for me at Gosport yesterday, a decent run but hard work. Set off aiming to see if a sub 74 PB might be on the cards, which lasted for about the 1st 4miles. 5-8M were progressive tougher and then secomed to a gel as my legs were definitely starting to lost drive. That perked me up (probably running too hard for fat-burning to be the primary fuel IMO), but still had a rubbish mile back along the seafront up to 12M. Pulled the finger out in the last stretch to squeeze over the line just under 75min. Generally happy with the run, I put it some where between a decent race and a long threshold/tempo effort. It was good considering it's 3 weeks post marathon and I only managed 10s quicker at Maidenhead in September, when I was meant to be in great HM shape! Mile splits 5:33/5:34/5:42/5:40/5:45/5:49/5:41/5:50/5:50/5:42/5:36/5:59/5:35 (closed the last 200m at 5:03/M).

• LD it was indeed Brampton to Carlisle. Was a great profile to the run HR. No such as flat up Northimage Was overall slightly downhill though.

Here is a strava profile and leaderboard for the route

http://www.strava.com/segments/2759731?filter=overall

PS great PB jimbob

• Jimbob congrats on the pb

Al-P nice run at Gosport, young lad from my club wasn't too far behind you

TB nicely run, that sub 60 is there for the taking when you want it

Jools top work on the 'Bubka'