Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Nice report SG. Sounds like it was tough. An airfield once ruined a race for me. Horrible, soul destroying places to run.

10m for me tonight with a track pyramid of 200-400-600 off 200m (37s, 83s, 2:11) - 800m (2:58) off 400m then back down 600-400-200 (2:11, 83, 37), finished off with 4 x 200m (39, 40, 40, 39). Felt crap. Legs were tight and wasn't moving freely at all, despite the rest day yesterday. Gr.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Maybe a couple of days rest next time Sottish?image at least it's one in the bag though.

ive been browsing over my recent training log as I'm still at a loss as to where yesterday's run came from. Since coming back from injury my easy paced runs have been over 7 min miling barring a few. Anything quicker has been feeling too difficult. I've done a few track sessions like the 12 x 400 but they've felt really difficult too. (More so than pre injury)

ive done the 3x 2 mile intervals 4/5 times and they have felt manageable and while they gave me a bit of confidence they've also had me doubting whether they're a good indicator to my level of fitness.

all in all I'm a bit unsure of what to do now. will sticking to what I've been doing end up with me going stale?  I train on my own and set my own sessions and obviously I'd like to keep progressing. 

• Interesting SS... Bon chance!

Good session too Scottish.

Took a rest day today. At best I was going to do an easy bike but the quads said no.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Come on Lit, where's the report image

Oh, all right. Mine is not going to be as epic as some of the other stuff going on round here this weekend, including Dean running for England! and breathtakingly fast 10ks from Matt & Seb.

So, as some of you will know I didn't have the ideal lead up to Gosport, having fainted and sprained my ankle at mile 12 of Robin Hood half 7 weeks ago, when (before it all went wrong) I'd been on target for a pretty decent PB. So after 3 weeks off to recover, I'd entered Gosport in the hope of salvaging something from the spectacular build-up I'd had to Robin Hood, thanks to SG. I knew I wasn't as fit as 8 weeks ago, and had been struggling to hit paces faster than MP in training, but thought it was worth a go.

As a result of all this, it was perhaps the first time I haven't done the first two miles of a half ludicrously fast, but did set out a little faster than I ended up being able to sustain (6:30-35 pace) - I think I might have managed that for 13.5 miles earlier in the autumn, but ended up dropping back to more like 6:39-45 pace for the rest, knowing that it'd still get me a PB. I quite enjoyed the airfield for the sense of camaraderie when the race looped back on itself and the faster and slower runners from the same clubs could cheer each other on. And did also see SG running in the opposite direction just before I reached mile 9. Mile 12 was properly crap (almost as slow as MP) but not as bad as in the last half I did. Though still dangerously close to a large body of water. And I finished in 1:27:50 for a 36-sec PB starting with a new number of minutes. Which was pretty much what I was after in the circumstances.

Runbritain is not that impressed with my performance, but I'm quite happy with it as the last proper race of this season's training before I start building up to London. Then I had a massive Sunday roast. image

Ric, hope you are okay.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    I reckon its Paris marathon SS! Cobbles eh!

Great run Lit, nice new PB for your hard work. Didn't know about the Robin hood half ordeal, Jesus!

You like your speed work session don't you Scottish. You seem to cover quite a few miles every time you run, I like that.

Nice run/cycle out at the Duathlon Iron. Not getting out on the bike at all right now. Need a turbo, but that's what I said in the lead up to last Christmas also!

Good report Deano, bet it makes you want to train hard now and secure your spot in the team for the future.

Sounds a nice run out at Gosport SG albeit a bit lonely judging by your PIC.

Cheers everyone for the kind comments, whilst I'm most definitely not a dedicated road runner its nice to be reducing race times steadily giving me a gauge of where I'm at and an indicator of what paces to train at.

Matt I'm in the same boat, what to do now? Finished my training plan a month ago and just been ticking along easy running, gym work & a tempo session each week. Think I'm starting the plan again this week, with more mileage and hence longer quality sessions with hill work added as its xc season. It worked last time, hopefully it'll work again!
  • .Seb wrote (see)

SG has banned the speculation of race appearances. Go and sit in the corner (or buy a turbo and sit on that).

Good race and report Lit.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

That's the thing Seb, Ive really really had a plan. Probably the summers track sessions where everything was geared towards a 5km pb but they were just weeks of 5x 1000 reps. Haha. 

I ran the 3 peaks off Salfords 10k training with some 19/20 milers at the weekend and Ben Nevis was done off a summer of 5k training with 4 weeks on the physio table before it. 

i can't grumble with the results I've had this year but I want to make sure that the results keep coming.

Found this picture on the abbey dash website.

http://www.sportcam.net/CompetitorDetail1.aspx?ID=8547271&type=No,185&Name=

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Me with my tongue out and Seb next to me. Obviously we were well placed early doors and in some good company. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    .Seb wrote (see)

SG has banned the speculation of race appearances. Go and sit in the corner (or buy a turbo and sit on that).

Good race and report Lit.

Only on stuff Im trying to conceal.

Go ape sh!t on everyone else image

• I got a call/email today from one of the RW team. They have whittled the 2600 entrants of the 'Target 26.2' down to 10 per category. I'm one of the ten for the sub-3 hour category. We go to boot camp on the 29th!

I always said spring was a bit soon for a marathon, but this is a once in lifetime opportunity to be professional coached. I can't wait.

It's like one of those contrived, cringey X Factor moments... 'I'll do anything... just give me the chance!' image

• I was thinking of entering that, but wouldn't have been able to get the day off work on the 29th. So I won't have to kill you to narrow down the competition. May even vote for you. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I entered. Looks like I missed the cut. image 

• Ha ha, cheers Lit. I think there is one more cut before the popularity contest of voting begins.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - you are such an old fanny, its all dont talk about a race before hand then post a 4ft long report all about it after. image its a half marathon in heavy volume training i think everyone would have understood its not a PB attempt.   well raced though and a 77 on heavy legs shows a strength and sign that come spring you will be in fine form to attack your sub.

Matt - the 10k training plan i was following said if you can hit 3*2m at target pace off 5 min recovery it is a near perfect guide to your race performance.  the only variable for me was seeing if you could hit those paces when not on a treadmill.  You certainly can!

Stevie S - you have my vote, but im not sure you have thought it through.  the chosen 6 are sponsored by asics and have to wear their kit.  how will that sit with your nike bias?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie son, if you get to the vote, you'll be able to count on everyone on this thread....

And i'm certain even with the collosal egos on here that 15 of us haven't put 720,000 views of this thread in!!

• Wouldn't be so sure - I have to read it all twice image

Very well done on the new PB Lit - oh, that and not passing out and drowning, (which is a bonus!!!).

Stevie - sounds like the marathon mojo may be coming then image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - yes, affected the final places apparantly. Final results still arnt up yet as they are having to watch the finish line video to allocate times to the folks whose chips failed.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

SG - you are such an old fanny, its all dont talk about a race before hand then post a 4ft long report all about it after. image its a half marathon in heavy volume training i think everyone would have understood its not a PB attempt.   well raced though and a 77 on heavy legs shows a strength and sign that come spring you will be in fine form to attack your sub.

Matt - the 10k training plan i was following said if you can hit 3*2m at target pace off 5 min recovery it is a near perfect guide to your race performance.  the only variable for me was seeing if you could hit those paces when not on a treadmill.  You certainly can!

Stevie S - you have my vote, but im not sure you have thought it through.  the chosen 6 are sponsored by asics and have to wear their kit.  how will that sit with your nike bias?

HAAA! Dean, it's seriously upsetting me at the thought of it. Asics would be cool with me drawing a lovely swoosh on their kit right? image Also, I would wear my VRAC vest which I'd be a bit gutted about. But hey, I'm WAY off any of that business yet. They might meet me and be all like 'Get this northern mug out of here!' image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Haven't heard someone get called a fanny since middle school. Excellent stuff.

• ioweriower ✭✭✭

Better still -

Dachs wrote (see)

"gusset"

Brilliant

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

yep, I think even Phil gets it now, even if he's trying to butter my balls to get back in to my good books image

Not worried so much about getting into your good books but your car. Let me put this correctly: I am racing at Sandhurst XC on Sunday and if by chance you were passing ...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

'Fanny' is what my brother in laws (occasionally) call my wife. As for gusset, there was a guy in my club whose surname was only one vowel different from that. After one particular incident his name was put down in the official results with the vowel adjusted.  T. Gusset.

Thanks lit.

🙂

• mattl - far be it from me to even consider giving comment to the god of northern runners but couldn't help thinking that the amount of hill running you did earlier in the year must have given you extra strength to run fast. Keep thinking all I need to do next year is get in lots of 20 mile plus runs over 3 peak country, simples image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

mattl - is it right you don't have a HM time to your name? maybe squeeze one in before the end of the year and join in the Champs start fun at VLM14? it'll give you a focus for Jan/feb/marchimage

SS - get my vote mate. I actually think some marathon training would do you good as long as you can keep those colds at bay that you seemed to have continuously last winter!

Lit - well done on the PB. Looks like coach SG is keeping you on that upward curve

SG - as others have said, you're in a period of heavy base building so to run your second fastest HM isn't a bad place to be. To be fair, your pic doesn't even look that bad. You want to see a face of 'why the fcuk do i do this' then look at my Frankfurt photos.

TR - meant to say thanks for your input post my marathon. having analysed the numbers etc and you were spot on with your diagnosis. appreciated.

Bluenose - top bombing Wurzel! impressive stuff!

• Track session this morning at 5:30 local time: blowing a gale and only just above freezing but running will keep you warm. Warm-up in the moonlight before the false dawn and then 4 times quarter mile, 3 times half mile and 2 times mile (and I resisted any comments about quarter miles on a 400m track). Each set was "descending", so each rep faster than the previous, so the 400s at a leisurely 7:03 pace, then 6:17, 6 dead and 5:22 (81 seconds), 800s at 3:04, 2:55 and 2:51 and the first mile in 5;47 but the legs didn't want to play ball for the second one.

8 on the treadmill yesterday so 15 so far in a cut back week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Johnas - nice one, thanks.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

That's right Johnas, I've a very soft 10mile and no half to my name. I think after the Ribble Valley 10k I could aim towards a half around late feb, early march. Perhaps try and get that 10 mile into line also. 

• mattl wrote (see)

That's right Johnas, I've a very soft 10mile and no half to my name. I think after the Ribble Valley 10k I could aim towards a half around late feb, early march. Perhaps try and get that 10 mile into line also. 

Wrexham half is quick, so is Wilmslow. They are in Feb and March.

• I found 5:30 isn't too early in the US. The body clock wakes me up fairly early anyhow. Good sessions.

Sunday's race has upset my schedule somewhat. Normally I'd run M, W, F with bike on the other days and normally Thur off. Yesterday had to be a rest day and today was a bike to fit in with tomorrow's track. Sunday will be XC in lieu of tempo leaving Friday for a long run. Not so good.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great stuff at Gosport Lit, and definitely a bonus that you didn't suffer any medical emergencies. Keep following the wise old fanny SG and the world is your oyster.

10 with 5 @ tempo tonight. Average pace 5:53 on the tempo. Crap, really, but a few XC races and parkruns should bring the pace back before Wokingham. Plus, I was wearing my warm clothes, so thats got to be worth 30s per mile at least eh?