Sharp chest pain (on heart side)

Hi,

Thanks for coming to the thread.

I am a level 3 PT and have a love for running I train 5 times a week varying the training from HIIT, FARTLEK, INTERVALS, LSD AND TIMED RUNS.

I had a race Thursday evening and at around the 4k mark my chest had such a painful feeling like I must close and hunch myself up to stop it from happening. I was a fair quick pace. I finished in 18:32 and In second so I did push myself. However, it is the first time I have felt the pain.

Friday I trained with a LSD to cool down and again the pain is here at this point I thought this is very strange now as this time I wasn't pushing myself at all! Approx 7 minute miles. Then on my session today the pain is here again. I thought that's that, I need some advice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Its the weekend so just wondering if anybody has had the same experience image It is so annoying!

• Walk in clinic or A&E? I'd be wary of an internet diagnosis - just get yourself checked out.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Get an expert to look at it!
  • Everyone is going to tell you to see a GP anyway so Im not going to bother adding to the cacophony.

I would say though sometimes Ive had chest pains (while running) and Im pretty sure they have been from the chest muscle itself. I mean think of it this way. If you get a sudden pain in your leg, you would just accept it, done. But because its near your heart area, evryone assumes it must be the heart.

Might not be, could just be the muscles surrounding the heart (ie your chest itself) ....... So heres my two responses.

1) Go see a doctor ( and I will use this as evidence from my lawyer in case of point number 2).

2) Its probably nothing, just a strain on your chest muscle. Remember the fact that you were going slow the second time and got a sudden chest pain actually makes it more likely its not your heart and is just like a pull on your chest muscle or something.

My gut feeling is its probably nothing and something your body will sort out over the next few days and if it was me I would just see how it goes. But because I know everyone will come down on me and tell me Im being irresponsible with my advice, I'll point you to point 1 of my post (even if I wouldnt have followed point 1 myself)

• By all means try your GP, but all that will happen is a Cardio Appt(if that!) in about 6 weeks if lucky. And will probably be told not to go over 70% of Max HR in any runs that you do. I spent a week in Hospital last year and have now been offered a pacemaker. My original problem was caused by interval training on a bike and then cycling to work as normal(within an hour). I had done this many times before and no problems but on this occasion not able to. My HR was 32 when the ambulance arrived having been physicaly sick 5 times while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

I have actually had a lot of chest pain in the area you talk about and in fact have been to A and E several times and have been diagnosed as non cardiac chest pain by A and E. This is something that my consultant wouldn't agree with! But its probably what you will get at A and E. It is clear to me that mine is caused by less activity, the times i went to A and E i was actually off work and now only happens if doing less at work.

So in conclusion, what can you do? Haven't a clue( but a cardio consultant will be better than A and E). What is your resting HR as a matter of interest.  

• Thanks for feedback image my resting HR is around 35-38bPM
  • This is really slow and mirrors mine pre-Simvastatin tabs. My all time low when felt ok was 33. And i did a question on here some time ago and nobody had as low as mine at the time(about 37). So i reckon something is up unless you have been doing 100 miles a week running for some time or an ex-Tour De France cyclist. So you must get checked out i guess by a Cardiologist. And what i mean is a MRI scan and this will tell if the Heart is large(not just the muscle wall). I guess you have the same problem as me-any colds when inactive? Your chest pain would seem to indicate that all is not well even at the high end, i know mine isn't either as last summer quite often had to get a chair quick after a cycle Time Trial.

• Definately check with your gp - I had similar pain once and was advised it was a condition called costochondtitis, which is inflamation of the connective tissues between the ribs.  Told to avoid any heavy lifting and take ibuprofen - resolved within a few days.   definately worth getting checked over. 

• stephen cole 9 wrote (see)

Told to avoid any heavy lifting and take ibuprofen - resolved within a few days.   definately worth getting checked over. 

Isnt that the same as ....... give your body a rest for a few days? Not sure the doctor really fixed you there Stephen. Your body just did what it was always going to do anyway, so the issue would have resolved itself regardless of whether you had seen a doctor. Not havin a go, just stating fact.

• From experience - see the doc

• James that sounds serious, glad to see youre still with us. What was the story with you?

• Not wish to bore anyone so I will do the short version.

Prior to 20 July I had ran 8 half marathons and a marathon in 18 months. Then when training for Dublin Marathon I was 8 miles into a 10 mile run when I had a cardiac arrest. No signs. Three lovely girls stopped their car. One a trainee nurse. She did 10 to 15 mins of CPR. Ambulance arrived. Defib. Airlifted to hospital. 2 days in a coma. 12 days in hospital. All touch and go.

Started on the treadmill 2 weeks ago. My first road run tonight.

So i guess the answer is never mess with the heart. See a GP. 

• holy f.......... I thought you were going to say something like 'Oh I had to stop by the edge of the road for 5  minutes to get my breath back and the doctor gave me some pills and now Im fine.'

Not ........ Oh by the way I was clinically dead.

Holy f...... geez James, way to usurp my original answer!

Take it easy on the treadmill though yeah???

• I don't do things by halves.

Unbeknown to me my body doesn't beak down cholesterol so for the last 39 years it was building up in my arteries. A little came away, blood clotted around it and it stopped my heart.

Very lucky to be here.

Suprisingly only a little bit of damage to the heart. Which will not affect me.

On medication for life but small price to pay.

Consultant said my heart will now be stronger. It made for a great summer!!!

• Thanks for info guys, booking an appointment with GP will give results back on here!

• Good luck David. Sure it won't be anything serious. But worth the ten minutes seeing a GP about it.

• Just make sure you tell the GP about your sports background: some things that show up on MRI scans and ECGs can be interpreted as symptoms of heart conditions but are actually fairly common in endurance athletes (who don't have those conditions).  I also speak from experience, but fortunately not quite as dramatic an experience as James!

• How did the appointment with the Doctor go?

• He's on twitter - but protects his tweets - @David_Obee

I think he's alive - I think he tweeted yesterday.
  • Yes, fine thank you guys! I think at the gym I work at the cross trainers have a wider grip & tweaked a muscle. Also, I was performing a few upperbody workouts & went straight into push ups which may have made the original dammage & the cross trainer just made it worse!!

Thanks alot - feel free to follow my twittter too.