Hit a 2.5km wall

Hello, I started the C25k plan in January.  I've been stuck at week  5 (jog 20 minutes) for about the past 8 weeks image

Basically, I have hit a wall at 15 minutes running - I cannot do any more without stopping!  The last few weeks I've become despirited with the plan and I do my own combinations of running/walking now.  I train for about 45 minutes, 35 of which I run for.  However the 15 minute wall is as high as it ever was.

Does anyone have any advice to increase time?  I'm feeling quite frustrated because I am not making any progress.  I am 32 and ideal weight.

Comments

• Start slower and pick up the pace a little after 10 minutes or so if you feel good. Alternatively, do your whole run slower for a few outings. You can, of course, do more than 15 minutes without stopping - you just need the confidence to know that you can.

Keep on keeping on!
  • Yep

Slow down,  the slower you go then the longer you can go for in the early stages
    There is no shame in walking and as you have found you can go for 45 mins or more if you take walk breaks and this is a good way to increased time/distance without breaking

Your runs should be at a conversational pace, anything faster than that will limit the time you can run for

• .....and it will get better, honest image. It's really hard at the start and I remember it well.......but stick at it and it will start to get easier. But like the others said, try and slow down a bit until you can run for longer.
  • I found Week 5 really tough too, in fact I even started a thread about it!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=172283&V=7&SP=

I got some really good advice there, particularly the bit about thinking about the 20 mins as being 4 x 5 min runs. I also read somewhere that if you think you can't do it it's 80% in your mind and only 20% physical so just tell yourself that you WILL do it and you will!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
  • If you're hitting the wall at 15 min and 2.5k then you're going faster than 10min miles. This is veery fast for a beginner. Slow Down!! Speed will increase slowly with time on feet, but time is more important at the moment.

Have fun...

• Hi

This is something I have been experiencing too, I hit my wall at week 6! The nice ladys over at Womens running have been giving me advice. Im assured that whilst a lot of this is down to your body, that mentally preparing yourself plays a part. I have to say having slowed my pace down, right down sometime I have completed my first ever 20 min run image. Im now working towards preparing my body and mind for the next big step of 25 mins!

Good luck keep at it, im sure you can do it if I can you can too.

K xx

• As has already been said, slow yourself down.

I remember going through the C25K plan and the trouble I had with each week. There were times when my running segments felt like I was going slower than my brisk walk.

• Hi all so when we are talking slow are we talking my slow or faster? I feel like if I go any slower I will just be walking but I can't run any faster ! Does that make sense? Essentially what worries me is I run very slowly 7.5kph which is some people's walking speed and yet I can only run at this pace for 10min until I have to walk/run.
  • Lottie3 wrote (see)
    Essentially what worries me is I run very slowly 7.5kph which is some people's walking speed and yet I can only run at this pace for 10min until I have to walk/run.

It really isn't - 7.5 kph is 4.66 mph - way faster than a walk.  Most walk at nearer 3 mph, 4mph if you are tall and walking very fast.  Don't worry, speed comes later.  If you can't manage 15-20 minutes without stopping, you're going too fast.

• Arrange to have a dog chase you at 2.5k ?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Can you walk further than 2.5k? If so then you are going too fast!

Try to run to a point 2k away from your house. I'm sure you will be able to make it back somehow.
  • chubby bloke wrote (see)

If you're hitting the wall at 15 min and 2.5k then you're going faster than 10min miles. This is veery fast for a beginner. Slow Down!! 

I'll echo this - your pace of 6 min/km (9:39 min/miles) is too quick, drop it down a minute/mile or so.  Maybe even to 7 min/km (11:16 min/miles).  Even though I can run a sub 6:00 minute mile I'll often run a really long run at 10 min/mile pace or else I'd be stopping after 15 minutes!

• Thanks everyone x. Going to try again tomorrow, going to run as slowly as I can for as long as I can.