Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Were there any fireworks affecting your breathing?

• nice session by the way Philip!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No fireworks tonight, but it was only about 10 days ago that I went to a fireworks display, so i've probably still got some residual effects from that.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Johnas.. I assume you got back from Frankfurt via the UK storms ok, good to meet you pre & post race.  If it's any consolation me & Mrs Wardi went for a walk in Frankfurt on the Monday & it was blowing even harder than it was on Sunday!  

• Dachs you say 10 with 5mile tempo at 5.53 is crap image what pace was the other 5 miles?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

7:30 ish, nice and easy warm up/warm down.  I was doing these tempos at 5:37s/5:38s earlier in the year at what felt a reasonably controlled pace, so comparatively it isn't great, but as I say the pace will return quite quickly I am sure.

• But weather dark and damp in winter clothing don't beat yourself up maybe do other 5 mile slightly faster 7-7.10 pace so you feel your getting more out of session until you feel your speed is back up to were you want it to be!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Wardi wrote (see)

Johnas.. I assume you got back from Frankfurt via the UK storms ok, good to meet you pre & post race.  If it's any consolation me & Mrs Wardi went for a walk in Frankfurt on the Monday & it was blowing even harder than it was on Sunday!  

Considering we were talking about how my journey was likely to be the most disrupted, every connection ran like clockwork! Paul on the other hand got delayed an extra day in frankfurt!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Dachs - pace doesnt sound too bad considering it was a full 5 mile tempo and sandwiched in a 10 miler! I dipped my toe back in the tempo waters on Sunday but broke it down into tempo intervals 4x 5 mins at threshold off 90 secs sandwiched in a 45 min easy run. Much more manageable to hit target pace

• IronCat5 in the Hat, is the XC on Sunday TVXC at Sandhurst?

• Might think about Sandhurst myself if you or SG fancy having me as a guest?

Managed a 9.3 xc at lunch today. Very slow and it was like running through treacle there was so much mud! The groin strain issue started at just over 5 miles again, but I decided to push on through and it never became much more than a discomfort so I'll take that as a positive! 

Not sure what any speed work or racing might do though.....

• The Bus is it wise to race XC if groin getting worse through run? Just asking !

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well personally speaking I haven't run a yard since Sunday.

I'm not concerned about fitness levels since the schedule I'm on involves eradicating all traces of injury. 

🙂

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

IronCat5 in the Hat, is the XC on Sunday TVXC at Sandhurst?

Yes.

• Probably not Rob, hence my last line. It's more a dim hope than anything as I'm desperate to race - not done anything since Abo! (bloody marathons!)

I should take your approach Ric (though to be fair, I did have 4 full days after it came on, and have only run easy every other day since)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I've said it before, I make up my training on the day though there is actually a structure built into that idea.

When problems occur I simply reduce the training loads until a point of repeatability is achieved. Unfortunately there comes a point where the reduction reaches zero. At that point its all over and the game changes.

I'm off to New Zealand in three weeks for warm weather training so with some luck I'll be sorted by then.

🙂

• Sounds similar to my approach to dealing with injuries Ric. Hope you are all sorted for New Zealand!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Might think about Sandhurst myself if you or SG fancy having me as a guest?

You are welcome to come with me, don't know if SG has any plans to race image.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

Might think about Sandhurst myself if you or SG fancy having me as a guest?

You are welcome to come with me, don't know if SG has any plans to race image.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll be sorted sooner than three weeks time Ric! Don't think you've divulged the actual issue, care to elaborate?

Still following Bus' footsteps me, bit by a dog today for the first time whilst running. drew blood even though it was on my right hip and hence through my shorts. Just exacerbated the dull ache from running into a metal post last night!

Oh well, pumping in more miles than ever right now so bound to have a hiccup or two along the way.

Tough tempo by the sounds of it Dachs, Like you said hopefully the pace will suddenly return. Going to ease myself back into the proper tempo sessions next week with a simple 5 x 1 mile with 60secs recovery.
  • Seb, if it punctured the skin get to the docs or A&E or minor injuries and get antibiotics/jabs/whatever. It will go manky.

And then shoot the fecking thing. Never did understand dogs.

Club track session tonight. Lots of people starting to turn up but most of the other faster guys have stopped attending so it's me on my own. Which makes me think if I do my own sessions again then I can do the workout I want. Shame, as I liked the camaraderie of the sessions. Ho hum.

• Thanks Philip, I will see how the groin goes and let you know (so to speak!)

• Weird, had to do another post, as my tablet started entering all the letters backwards! It did the same last night too-very odd! Anyway, was just going to say:

Seb, you should definitiely get a tetanus jab if you haven't had one recently, and keep an eye on it if it becomes red and sore to the touch, as this could suggest an infection.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    pah. not been to the GP in 6 years, even then it was for an eye test so I could get a racing drivers license. Not that that ended well as im no vettel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw1Y6l2pYEo

anyway got a new gp and a new patient assessment/piss test on Monday so Ill get a new tetanus then if possible!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My GP told me I never needed another tetanus jab ever again. I may have had three or four spread over around ten years. Apart from that I work in gardens and get minor cuts and scratches all the while with no adverse effects at all.

.Seb, the ankle injury was a result of a combination of training errors and a XC race, which was just an error in itself.

Appears that a minor muscle tear just above the ankle resulted in a load of debris accumulating via gravity lower down. Which resulted in areas of inflammation where it settled.

Takes a while to sort these things out as the source of the injury is away from where the pain is.

So there was a bit of mess to deal with which was ok until I over did things and messed up the mess. Hence I went from a daily 5 miler to one's and two's.

Then none.

The New Zealand trip is really to see my wife's family. Handy for running at this time of year. Here's a couple of examples from two years back.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/steep.png

I went up that. Running would hardly describe how I did.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/shoesmith.png

Ah, the heat of late December.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Can't beat a bit of warm weather training Ric. image im confined to my running tights now. I know, I should be a tough northerner and brave it in my tiny racing shorts. 

Bit of a hill session on Tuesday and 6x 1000 off 1min last night. Target was 3.10 but all were between 3.11- 3.15. Was tough going. Thinking of doing a parkrun on saturday, not in tights though. 

On the coaching side of things I'd always fancied having one as all my sessions etc are done solo and either made up or plucked from the internet or off you lot.  through a friend I've been put in touch with a former world junior Xc champion from the late 70s who said he'd have a look over what I do and would give me a few pointers. then at the track last night a former 30min 10k man who helps out at my old club said I could benefit from some coaching and he said he'd be happy to help. Think he had a hand in coaching his missus who has represented GB in the past. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, the coaching thing is really a shortcut to knowledge. Once you know your stuff they are good to bounce a few ideas off. 

Personally I could never face the idea of being coached directly; if at all, by anyone. Ever.

🙂

• You mean you don't like being told what to do Ric? You suprise me image (me neither!)

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

exciting to hear you're getting a coach Matt. I'm pretty sure some structure, long term training planning and goal setting with an experienced coach could see you really take it to the next level.

and on that note, I'm off on the induction weekend of the UKA coaching course this weekend. Already spent quite a few hours on pre course home study in addition to coaching weekly for the last 6 months so I'm glad to finally get the 'official' ball rolling

• I quite like being told what to do. Just as well, really.