Surrey Half Marathon

Disgraceful pricing at £35 yes £35 for a half marathon....
Great shame as I'm sure there will be plenty of demand. Don't understand how they can justify the price. Must be the most expensive HM around?
No mention of donating any of this money to local charities like Woking hospice ....

Comments

• Please feel free to organise a rival race and charge ??30 and sit back and watch the money roll in.

If its too pricey - there are plenty of other races around.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Paul Patterson 5 wrote (see)
    Disgraceful pricing at £35 yes £35 for a half marathon...  Must be the most expensive HM around? ...

So you haven't looked at Bath then image

• Its run by all about triathlons which is one of the best race organisers in the area and certainly not there to fleece us runners. You can expect a good level of organisation.

They do a number of other races for charities so would be surprised if the charities mentioned on their site don't get something.

Also closed roads in two towns won't come cheap.

You can vote with your feet and just not do it.
  • Other half marathons are available........
  • Not the most expensive - Reading Half at 36 quid - bargain! image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's not cheap but it's not the most expensive by a long way. How about Run to the Beat, GNR, Bath etc. it says closed roads on their site so that much cost then quite a bit.

As mentioned, other races are available.
  • Bath Half is £39!! but it sells out every year

• Looks good, I think I will enter as I have never been brave enough to run an inaugural event before. Anyone else in?

• I'm in, expecting it to be a good one!

I've done a few of their 10ks over the last few years and they've always been spot on with the organisation - you can tell they're runners themselves!

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

From their website...

We have nominated three main charities including the Woking Mayor’s designated two: Woking Hospice and Parkinson’s UK, and Shooting Star CHASE.

Somebody didn't bother reading further than the price obviously.

• I'm sorting out the events official measurement and have been up and down the course many times over the past few months. The roads are just so busy the organizer needs to employ an outside company to sort out all the road closures, diversions, cones to split the out and back and have enough personal to police the course. This all costs and there is a risk involved if they don't get enough runners taking part. This is a small part of their costs as well, port a loos, road closure orders fees, start and finish equipment etc. I can see why they have an entry fee that high.

BTW the course is a good un for all you road runners out there. PB potential! It's not pancake flat but not too many rises.  

• I'm in, partly because it's fairly local and a good pre-London half and partly because I've run in a number of races that the AAT guys have organised and have never been disappointed.

• If you were on the AAT mailing list then there was an early bird invitation to enter at a discount which was a bit under £30 I think.  Long term investment which I took advantage of.  Also unfortunately too close to Tunbridge Wells Half to run both, which is a long term favourite of mine.  AAT events have always been good races bur road halves are a new venture for them but it looks good.  Only poor point is the course being out and back, but understandable if you need to close roads.  

• I"m the Event Manager. Thanks for all the support. Our entry fee is justified by our £165k costs. The Surrey Half is going to be a great event for runners and the local community - bands on route, money raised for local charities, local scouts helping with bag storage, TIMEX pace team, flat (ish) route, kids races, we're developing a free app for real time results, great sponsors, great route with Tom's help, £8k prize pot, warm up from the local athletics club, 7,000 runners.

Join us for the inaugural event - hopefully the Surrey Half will just get bigger and bigger!

• I just hope it doesn't get any longer, Becky.

• I'm booked in for this race. I can see the route on the Surrey 1/2 website but does anyone locally know whether it is flat, undulating etc?

• Here you are: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/344758326

Edited: sorry just realised it doesn't show the elevation!  image

• I've only run the Woking end of it but driven Woking / Guildford and back more times than I care to remember.  I'd say undulating, its certainly not flat but no real hills to worry about despite a few of the road names having 'hill' in them!

I keep thinking I should run it one evening but I can't remember whether those roads have footpaths and street lighting and don't really want to run it in the dark without!

• Phil - Blanchards Hill and New Lane don't have pavement, so it might be worth making your recce an early morning run. Becky

• Making Bournemouth Marathon feeling cheap by comparison.

I see the ability to transfer has closed also. I really wanted to go for this one but not excited enough about the race to risk injury over it. May jog round and DNF if I am doubtful at any stage as not desparate to finish. Be interesting to see how many choose to return though especially as it is held when so many other halfs are on nearby in March.

• Hi All. great to see all your comments. 

Our free mobile app has just launched. Search Surrey Half in the app store.

Free entry to 2014 or 2015 for the first person to guess the cost of road closures. Comment here to be eligible to win. Clue the answer ends in 0000.

• I'm doing this.  At first I thought it was expensive, but then just realised how spoilt I am with cheap races!  The deciding factor for me was that the route is a road I used to drive every week and thought it would be novel now to run it!!  Even convinced a couple of club mates to come up with me.

As for the route, you can see it at http://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-1696070  Total ascent is 132m and descent is 139m.  However, the height of the largest hill is only about 27m and the steepest is about 15m.

• Why has it gone up a fiver Becky?

• HI Kelburn. The price rise is a way of encouraging people to enter earlier. Early entries mean less pressure on race pack administration. We hope to see you on race day.

• The pack arrived today with a fetching head band/bandana/scarf.

Question to Becky - what's the correlation between colours and expected timings/pacers?  (Am Orange and hoping to be following the 1h45 or 1h50 pacer).

Looking forward to it, and hoping the road near Burpham is no longer flooded (as it was at the height of the rains!)

• I have entered this race as quite novel to take part in the 1st Surrey Half. I can't seem to find on the website any details on parking. Any ideas or links???

• Look on the phone app- link to all the local public car parks theres loads around.

• HI Stuart - We've got 5,000 runners, 5 pacers. Route is dry.

Hot Trot - check out the free app, and the Race Day Guide on the website.

Today's the last day for entry - register to run now!

Thanks, Becky