Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Welcome back Gobi if one who joined long after you can have that presumption.

Nice build-up running from Jools, TR, Wardi and the concert sounded good Jools.

x-post. Padams that's superb. Great time for x-country and top racing. Really encouraging.

I ran 15m with the Hadleigh 10m race embedded to bring up 65mpw

Race report

Tagline: The most enjoyable race I've done!

Build up: I did a lot to try and force myself not to go too hard today as a chip timed official 10k next Saturday is a big target for me. So, 1. No taper; 2. 65mpw; 3. Ran 2.5miles beforehand; 4. Ran in bricks (Pegasus); 5. Held back at the start.

The race: About 350 entrants I believe. It's surprisingly hilly for Suffolk. It was also very muddy which is less surprising. OK this isn't fell running but even so this is a hilly profile. I reached the start from my warm up and at the off let a lot of people tear past me. I set out conservatively at 6'45 for the first (uphill) mile by which time I was in about 45th place and thinking that it was all rather fun. In mile 2 I put a very gentle amount on the gas pedal: 6'33 on an uphill mile and I found myself feeling strong and passing people. I maintained the same pace for mile 3, also uphill, and continued passing people. Then I upped it a tad more to 6'23, also uphill (very muddy) and this time I was eyeing up several people in the distance who had given me the sort of look at the start that makes you feel you shouldn't be there (I'm sure this was my imagination). Miles 4 and 5 I was overtaking quite a few with a bit of comfort and generally I felt strong and easy.

By mile 5 there were two distinct large groups ahead, one about 200 metres away, the other double that. I upped the pace to sub 6h and slowly but surely began reeling them in. When I caught the second group I just decided to go straight past them and felt strong and very comfortable so just decided to leave them to it and began tracking the ones up front. By mile 7 I caught the faster group and it coincided with a drinks station. I knew that with 3 miles to go taking a drink was a waste of time so I ran straight past it whilst they all weaved for cups and 10 seconds later I was 50 metres in front of them. Must remember that tactic! For the last few milesI kicked on a bit, even up a pretty long hill during mile 8, but stayed within myself too.

Finished in 14th place in 63'13 off HR157 which is 10bpm below my half-marathon rate, wrapped up with another 2.5 miles. The winning time was 55' so you can probably see from that it's fairly hilly. After the first mile no-one overtook me and I think I hauled in 31 runners. The most satisfying and enjoyable race I've done. I wish I could try and learn from CRAB and Al_P and do that sort of -ve split in a marathon. It makes it very satisfying. I kept some matches today and that's really pleasing. Sorry if this sounds over happy: just felt / feel it's clicking a bit on the pace and fitness front.

Target now is Saturday's 10k. Want to try, try, try and let rip a pb for PO10 etc.

• Options

nice XC Padams sounds like you were keeping some good company.

Wardi congrats on getting the VLM place

HR nicely judged 10 miler, always satisfying to be picking people off

16 miles for me today, set off with the intention of doing 14 but the legs were feeling pretty good despite yesterdays efforts so extended it slightly. Hurting afterwards though so may pay for that tomorrow.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - see you there.

Padams - sounds like you are in good nick

HR - good to see you enjoying yourself. What sort of 10k time do you think you can run ?

• Options

Gobi & TR - I shall also be at Stubbington image Have run really badly there the last 2 years so looking for a decent run this time.

HR - what's your current 10k PB?

I've had a niggling groin problem for ages now and have tried various things - rest, physio x 2 (tight glute), osteo x 2 (tight back) but it didn't improve despite dedicated strengthening and stretching. I haven't done any static stretching for 2 days and it seems to have gone. Definitely losing faith in regular stretching

• Options

Million dollar question buddy (edit, TR). My pb (TR and Ryan) is a fairly feeble 37'30 set 2 weeks after VLM11 but then I've only ever run 3 of them. Tuesday's track session was encouraging and I know I'm fitter & quicker now than at any previous. If it's true as my coach reckons that I'm closing on 17'30 standard for 5k then ? dunno ? what would you reckon from that? Might try and target sub 36 and see what happens! Need a frost-free morning for the 08.30 start.

Edit - I'm being slightly coy in the sense though that I really want to taper a bit and try and let rip. Want to give it a real go.

Ryan I did a groin in 2009 and it's one of those injuries which I think you just have to rest and then rest. How long did you leave it? Think I backed off for a very tiresome six weeks and did no running. Depends how bad it is I suppose. Maybe get some ice in close (watch out!) but seriously it's so damned hard to get at that I would leave it well alone re. stretching and let it rest. Don't often advise that I have to say.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

HR - I would guess that 17:30 is approx low 36s. Not sure, but I know that I'm aiming sub 36 for Stubbington based on my recent results. My 5M back in the summer was ~5:45 pace , that must be well under 36.

Ryan - see you there too. I do a few stretches when I have issues but then let it settle, too much stretching keeps stirring things up I find. I still havnt seen a lion(ess) do any stretches before she chases her lunch.

• Options

My 5k this year was 17:48 and 10k was 35:42 - the 10k was after loads of marathon miles and I get worse as the distance decreases!! I would say that for most people 17:30 = sub 36 or certainly very close to it. Sounds like you fancy having a real go at it  image

The groin has never been painful, only discomfort and never when I'm running. An annoyance really. I've had up to 5 days off so never an extended break. If it shows up again soon I'll try a proper rest but fingers crossed all will be well.

Thanks for the input guys image

• Options
    HR I got a park run 17:42 & 36:14 10k. Think both can be bettered mind
  • Options

Great: thanks guys. Might see if I can get somewhere near 36' then. I've received this week's training plan from my coach which includes a bit of 10k pace work. 

Ryan if it doesn't hurt whilst running how about getting some ice in there each time you get back from a run? Or do you anyway?

• Options

Very interesting link on the migraines CW! Well done on sticking to the downtime. Hopefully that minor niggle you can still feel is nothing and you're all ready to go.

Good news bufo. Congrats.

Old No7 - nicely done. The lack of stretching obviously doesn't affect youimage

Nicely controlled racing HR. And yes, with the tonsillitis I simply stopped running. I'm getting good at being sensible image And 17:30 = a good shout of a sub-36.

That xc bodes very well for your shape Padams.

After nothing Thursday and Friday I got in an a gentle 7 and 8 over the last two days. Will start to ramp it back up a bit now and hopefully that's my winter woes out of the way! image

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Nice to see Gobi popping; Merry Xmas indeed! More good work over the weekend and good recoveries from the marathoners. First mini block of 4 x 50+ weeks done and ticked off, including 4 x 17 milers, 8 x 10 (hilly) milers and recovery runs. 5,10,5,10,rest,17, 7 is my default setting at the moment. 

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Nice stuff going on - particular congrats to bufo and good running from HR (enjoyable report), Old No7 and padams.  CW and TT, hopefully that's the worst of the niggles over.

I'm a lot less glum this Monday morning than I was last week.  Shin splints still there in left shin (hmph) but yesterday and today I am no longer actively limping and rest is definitely improving things.  I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to some running in another week or so.  

With thanks to Al_P for guidance, I've been doing some pool running, which is probably why I'm feeling less glum (in the past, I've tended just to curl up and become really inactive when injured).  Some tough interval sessions, including yesterday's 8 x 5 mins (1 min recoveries) + 10 x 45s (15s recoveries) for a total of 47.5 mins effort and today's 3 sets of 6 x 2:30 mins (30s recoveries, 1 min between sets) for a total of 45 mins effort.  It's tough to get the HR up (apparently it's generally 10% or so lower in water as the water pressure helps the heart pump blood around) and perceived effort is higher but I've managed to do the efforts at gen low 150bpms, which prob equates to HM effort (mid 160s), with sprint efforts getting up to around 160bpm (equiv to mid 170s).  

I have to say, although my form prob isn't the best and the flotation belt doesn't quite fit so I've ended up with nasty rubbing on my sides as it rides up around my ribs, I'm a bit of a convert to water running - I think I might try to keep a session a week even when back running as it's great to be able to do proper aerobic/anaerobic sessions without stressing the body/pounding concrete.  Plus the resistance factor means I'm sure it's good for strengthening muscles too.  

• Options

Great stuff, Old No 7.

Wardi -- great to hear you're in VLM.

Gobi -- what's happening on Feb the 9th?

Padams -- that was a strong XC judging by the form of those around you.

HR -- sounds like you had a lot of fun in your 10M with the tactical slow start, and you're on good form.

Lev/Al -- maybe I should give that water running a go the next time I'm crocked. I could almost do my commute like that as I go along the river anyway ;- )

And well done on all the training the rest of you.

I did 7M @ 7:10/M or so on the grass yesterday. I was still a bit aware of my foot niggle but hardly at all. One factor could be that most of my shoes are badly worn on the outer edges, maybe encouraging my foot to roll outwards and so collapse my foot bones a bit, whereas I did the grass run on my nice XTalon212s which are still in good nick. Anyway, I've experimentally bodged some hot melt glue to reshape one of my worn pairs to see if that helps. But I'll be shoe shopping soon I think. A rather feeble 8M on the bike this morning.

• Options

Been chatting with coach and has suggested that I run a positive split for my marathon based on these articles

http://ultrastu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-negative-split-realisation-that.html

http://ultrastu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-negative-split-fallacy-part-2.html

My first sub 3 was run of a small negative split and my second road marathon was still just a sub 3 but did not really go to plan. It became an unplanned positive split.

I am going with the suggestion to run a positive split,as my upcoming marathon is a training marathon for London, but a big part of this training schedule has been to do things that are different to improve performance. Running a planned positive split is a first for me. Anyone else back this theory or have an alternative view?

• Options

Tim, my alternative view is that 'ultrastu' is talking a lot of cock.  He's using results from thousands of marathon finishers to prove an optimum strategy.  Unfortunately when he works out his average % that people slow down, it's weighted at one end by a small number of people that get it right on the day, with anything between a small -ve and a small +ve split, and at the other end by lots of people who completely blew it and ended up walking chunks of it.  In other words, his data is biased by failures.

In all probability, whatever you plan to do, you'll end up with a positive split.  The smaller you can keep that the better your run will have been.  Acknowledging that that's the likely outcome on the day, and actually planning to slow down (i.e. setting out at a pace you can't possibly maintain throughout) are two different things though.

• Options

HR - Gotta love a satisfying race.  Well done.  You sound bang up for it at the moment.

bufo - Congrats on making the team.

Padams - Cracking pace for XC, well done mixing it up at the pointy end.

GOBI!!! - Hullo! What sort of bike racing are you doing, TTs or proper scary road racing?! (I'm not that much of a wuss, honest, it's the thought of other people's poor handling skills that puts me off bunch racing...)

So I've had four days' enforced non-training with this stupid lingering nothing-to-write-home-about cold, but feeling better after today's lunchtime session because I managed to ignore it and complete my quickest ever rowing interval session (partly down to having fresh legs I guess.)  My first session with all reps under 1:40 pace:  8 x 500m, 3.5mins recovery, average 1:39.7.  I didn't kill myself and it didn't even feel very fluent after some time off, so I'm sure I can still improve on that.  Best thing I've taken from it is that I can at least crack on now and get a few more sessions in before the race on Saturday week.

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Tim, my alternative view is that 'ultrastu' is talking a lot of cock. 

No beating around the bush CD! Love it! image

TB - I'm with CD. I typically assume I'm going to run an even pace (for more effort in the second half obviously), but sometimes it comes out as a slight +ive or even a slight -ive.

That sounds positive CW. Good news.

Lev_ - I found pool running quite fun when I had to do it, but not to the extent I'd want to do it if not injured - thought that's mainly because of time constraints (which would mean it would have to replace a run).

A very easy 13m for me today says things seem to be all back to normal. Monday would usually be long run day, but obviously that was never going to happen after the last week and a half. Hopefully I'll be in my normal mileage range by the end of next week and I can start doing a few sessions (only a bit of light tempo, strides and maybe some hills for this week and next).

• Options

Oh, and for the ale lovers amongst you, a local brewery - Ascot Ales - have got a Christmas ale that is, somehow, like Christmas in a bottle. It's got to be tried if you can get some of it.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I started reading the first of those links and couldn't get to the end as I was getting too annoyed (and laughing at the same time). This would be a perfect example of how you can use statistics to prove a hypothesis which you've already decided is correct. You could easily use it to prove the opposite - the main thing I took from the stats was that a higher proportion of the sub-4 hour runners did a -ive split than for the 4 hour runners, which seems to suggest the opposite to what he was trying to prove.

As CD says, you will almost certainly end up with a +ive split whatever you do. But I think it would be a bad idea to actually plan to +ive split by more than a minute or two. My best marathon times (relative to what I was expecting based on build-up races, training etc.) have been very consistent pacing.

• Options

Padams: even my (very rusty) A-level maths enabled me to see that he isn't a great statistician.  I'm tempted to send the link to my dad (PhD in stats) just because it will infuriate him.  And quite apart from anything else, using data from London, where the first half is intrinsically faster than the second half (assuming you aren't caught up in traffic), due to the downhill 3rd mile and the fact that the twists and turns come well into the second half, means you have started by selecting a course which lends itself to a positive split for someone who runs to even perceived effort, let alone someone who paces it poorly.

• Options

Not a hugely "positive" response so farimage

I have spent a little more time looking at the formula and in essence for me to attempt to run 02:52 marathon, it would have me run the first HM at 06:23 per mile. Then allow a progressive slow down of 3 seconds per mile. So my final mile would 07:02. About a 5 minute slow down in second HM

Having people pass in the second half would be tough, there is a "psychological" feel good factor to chase people down that are slowing down when I ran a negative split. There is also the danger that I might not slow down enough and run even fasterimage

The 5 minute split seems a little wide and would feel happier if this was a 3 or 4 minute split. Talking to him tomorrow so will see what to decide. Happy to risk trying it though if it is to be 5 minutes.

• Options

Bit jealous of all the quick 10k talk. I've been targeting the Christchurch 10k in Dec which is very flat, and fast on a calm day. Park runs are coming on nicely with a couple of 17:30s recently and a 17:23 this week so was hoping to threaten the old 36:09 pb. Just found out I'm working on this day now so I'm going to be 'all revved up with no place to go'. Like the sound of Stubbington but I see it's full. May try to pick up a place if I can find one going nearer the time.

• Options

TB,

I've got so many issues with those articles but I'll stick to facts and personal experience. As well as the 2nd half of London being slower, this year the 2nd half was also significantly hotter (from what clubmates have told me). A faster first half will increase % glycogen used vs fat and force you to slow down in the second half.

My personal experience is that I've run 3 marathons - in the first I ran 1:28/1:37 for 3:05, in the second 1:25/1:27 for 2:52 (last 6m into wind) and the third 1:22/1:41 for 3:03 Was in better shape for the third and yet only 3 mins quicker caused a calamitous slow down. 

Trying new things and challenging established ideas is good. I just think that this is one established idea that is firmly cemented in fact.

• Options

8 miles for me today with 2m of a new tempo style run I'll be doing for VLM which a very good (2:38) lady marathoner from my club suggested.

It involves doing a mile at tempo, followed by a mile at marathon pace. Just did one mile of each pace today but hope to be doing up 4 of each at the peak of training image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - one of my shoes wears more than the other on the outer of the heel, I put a bit of shoe goo on it to make it last longer. So are you running rpoperly again now, or still stop/start ?

MrB - Stubbington can be wind affected though. Chichester in feb is the place for a fast 10k.

Unless you are an elite or high mileage then you should expect a small +ve split, its not wrong to. I ran a slight -ve split at VLM this year but without any build up races I guessed at how fit I was, and got it slightly worng.

• Options

TB -- I ran what felt (and was) my best marathon by far this year in London, with a positive split... of 18 sec. Given Jools' factors (like the downhill bit early on), I think that's pretty even. I still have fond memories of Abingdon 2010 when again I was much more even-paced than usual. Aside from anything else, a significant +ve split normally feels awful, because you do it having blown up to some extent, and feel like you're dying on your feet. (Unless you've artificially done it I suppose.) Whereas an even or negative split feels great, because you're strong at the end. In my book, the first 10M or so should just feel ridiculously easy. An even pace does not mean even perceived effort...

TR -- err, not sure yet. Will try running my commute tomorrow and then I'll know better. Things are certainly much better, but I'm not sure if I'm totally niggle-free, which is what I want of course. Didn't feel anything peculiar today but then I wasn't running.

PP -- glad you're well. Well ergo'd too.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Eastleigh is meant to be quick but starting to get close to Marathon time 23 March.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - wait until you can run daily and then do that for a while, doesnt have to be far, it will toughen you up.

Toro - it is fast. 3 weeks out is ok, but I'd rather be doing my last 20. I reckon I'm going to do the Salisbury 10 which is 5 weeks out as my main race and use it to compare to my recent Lordshill 10 time which I know equates to 78min 1/2, which I can then use to convert to a MP. Simples ! What could possibly go wrong with such a simple idea !

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Ha Ha TR.  I am hoping for Fleet or Stafford half 4 weeks out.  Easy 5 for me and looking forward to track tomorrow night.  My first time since 2008 when I used to run in Spain.  Happy days.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

I also meant to say I have 3 10km over next 6 weeks, Telford 15 Dec (Elite Startimage), Wheaton Aston 27 Dec and Stubbington 19 Jan.  Quite excited.  Meeting "Coach" tomorrow to discuss goals and how to achieve them, looking forward to it and hopefully will be productive before session.  

I know people here have achieved a lot on their own but I am quite nervous especially when it comes to building mileage and as i'm not paying i'll take all the advice I can get.  I'll let you know what he thinks!