Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

heck of a progression there Iron, top work. Now for the next step of improving that next time too. Good to meet you too. I'll stop on about how you look in great condition compared to your old avatar eventually too!!

I was looking back at my racing stats, and back in 06 I did it in 39.47. The course must have been longer in those days, although I can remember it being a right miserable run, having got there at the last min, no warm up, horrible weather, and I was pretty much raced out after a stacked 2006!

• Good run there Iron. if races were judged on how much like a runner you look, you'd podium all the time.

• Epic reports there guys, and very strong performances all round. Almost felt like I was there! 

Not sure a physio is the way forward for me - seen far too many this year! Just some time off and carry on with the stretches and strengthening work I was doing before with a bit of luck.

Ric - really sorry to hear the news. Hope you are OK?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thanks for that guys, it was my mum who hadn't been well for some time. She was 78.

Bus, it might be an idea to cease the stretching completely. That may sound counter intuitive but my experience has been that sometimes our physical structures would like a period of not not being taken to the limit.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear that Ric, one of the biggest losses. Hope your body goes easy on you and allows some solace running!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

They need to sort yesterday's results out fully, as they currently have Reading winning, but they're still clearly including the guy who ran in a Clapham vest as their top scorer, when he needs to be a guest.

When a team has 4 scorers in the top 10, they're a shoe in.

I initially estimated there were 300 runners there, but apparently there were 400, so this series just grows and grows. It was 341 last year!

• A huge turnout! I have to get used to a whole new bunch of faces again.

Surely the SJ repsonse here is to poach more runners from other clubs SG? I'm sure last year there were a few people in SJ vests that had run for other clubs the year before (not including yourself)!image

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Good run there Iron. if races were judged on how much like a runner you look, you'd podium all the time.

Unfortunately there is no prize for this image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When i saw the emails whizzing around before they deleted me off the bulletin board (3 years after ceasing to be on the board image), they were getting 2-3requests  a year from new clubs to enter.

They definitely need to watch numbers though, as while the Sandhurst and Datchet races have infinite parking, Handy Cross, Bracknell,Tadley and Metros are already bursting at the seams. And that's before you realise how much food is needed for that many runners, as I'm guessing not many eat nothing post race like me.

It's alright in the front 1/4 of the field, but watching in the middle/last 1/4 and there were tonnes of runners coming in together...my word i wouldn't fancy trying to accurately record the times and positions! They must have to use the video for that, as if 10 people are arriving at the line over 2seconds how do you manually do that with such a wide finish line, and no funnel?

I suppose enthuiasm for the series normally peaks in November, and gently eases down, and you'll probably be looking at 60% or so of the totals by the later races. I think they did say no to a couple of clubs, but can't be sure, as this year it all seemed to be a touch lacking on the organising front, with the last fixtures only arranged about 2 weeks back!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

When a team has 4 scorers in the top 10, they're a shoe in.

No, it really is all about unsung heroes and not top 10. Look at Datchet last year: I ran injured and finished as 2nd vet in 50th place and our mens team scored 97: so I was over half the points total. That is what drags a team down. Reading were very strong yesterday: they had 8 men in the top 30 and even if one is a ringer, 7 is a decent return. They also had 4 ladies in the top 18.You don't need to pack the whole field as it is all done and dusted by the top 40 men and top 20 ladies but you need to get ticks in all the boxes.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I suppose enthuiasm for the series normally peaks in November, and gently eases down, and you'll probably be looking at 60% or so of the totals by the later races.

I'd guess at plummets, next year there are 4 races in 4 weeks.

• Can't understand why the fixtures are so crammed in, wasn't Metros the first one at an earlier date before? Four in four weeks is bonkers when they lead straight into Wokingham which most of the clubs will have their runners at.

Iron, seems you were directly behind me yesterday, couldn't hear anyone on the run in but it was just four seconds. We will have to work together next time and rein Phil in! Never ran well at Sandhurst but at least was 4:18 quicker than last year.

Stevie, the Wargrave chap you beat runs sub 1:15 half marathons so you are in good shape.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Ric - sorry to hear of your loss mate. Sending positive thoughts to you and yours.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah that's a nice benchmark then. A 4.18 increase is big, do that again next year and you'll be right amongst it!

4 races in 4 weeks is just plain madcap scheduling, but this year seems to have had less room than ever, as loads of club have vetoed other dates. Soemtimes I think they should just say NO, who cares if it's your personal club's little handicap event, or some club champ race, hard cheese!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, really sorry to hear that.  Hope things are well with you and your family.

Good cross-countrying by all at Sandhurst.  I would say that I am jealous, but since I spent the weekend in Barcelona, it would not be true.  Bizarrely, on the final morning we went to wander round the area round the Placa D'Espanya, and found ourselves in the finishing area of a massive 10K race that was just coming to an end.  Hung around to watch some of the kids' races.  Then suddenly Scott Overall wanders by, having run the race.  My wife cannot escape running it seems.

Have to say, I find reading through local cross-country results a disorientating experience, and Sandhurst was no exception.  Mostly it's a mix of "who the hell is that?" and "how the hell did he finish there?".  I won't name names as to who I mean of course.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I thought you were going to say Scott Edgington for a second!

XC is always an interesting game. You can often think you're running slowly, and not doing well, then afterwards realise it was exactly the opposite.  Yesterday was a perfect example, I was further down the field, but running quicker, yet it felt less strong than last year. Odd thing perception.

And of course, you can't always presume everyone was racing flat out. One of Phil's gang was being mischevious on fb last night suggesting he'd not tried to win as his team were stronger. That drew a few bites!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yeah, I saw that.  i'm not going to comment.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

took some grief off the binman at work today...saw me monstering the last 50metres in, and said "you only sprint in so they'll all see you"

cheeky dastard!

• I always used to get the opposite, jog out of the base with everyone watching, fast session out of sight and jog back in.

7.5 at lunchtime at 7.5 pace, makes my OCD side happy.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

One of Phil's gang was being mischevious on fb last night suggesting he'd not tried to win as his team were stronger. That drew a few bites!

No, he said he didn't finish hard as he knew he could not overtake 1st and knew 3rd could not overtake him.

• RicF - sorry to hear about your loss. Running bound to take a back seat but glad you managed to get out - always helps the head space a little bit.

Well done to all those in the XC. As I was not in Barca, I am extremely jealous. I spent an evening freezing my bum off at Murrayfield watching Scotland lose the rugby, disaster!

Thanks for all the feedback on my training. I am actually not feeling too knackered today, but have decided to change the schedule a bit this week. I tend to have 2/3 "big" sessions a big and 3 rec runs (which we all know are too fast!) but going to go try and keep my track sessions a bit lighter (5km wu; 6km on the track inc JRs max; then maybe 10min cool down) so I can fit these in in my lunch break, and then run doubles on my easy days to make up the mileage.

So, 8M @ 7:40 pace before work this morning. 4M planned tonight.

T (am): 3M warm up; 8 x 50s hill efforts with jbr + 2km tempo; (pm): an easy 3M (ordinarily would do this on the Wed but got a v full on day at work until late evening so won't get a chance)

W: 8M easy

T: 3M WU; 8 x 400m (400m jr)

F: 8M Easy

S: 8M easy (am); 3M @ 10km pace (pm)

Will let you know how this one works out! Not overly excited about doubles.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nope, he said he "let" the winner go off because TVT haven't got a team to back him up! My TVT pal loved that image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your messages of condolence. Much appreciated.

🙂

• As NIkki (Scottish?) says, I hope you're managing to get some headspace.

mee meep wrote (see)
    Iron, seems you were directly behind me yesterday, couldn't hear anyone on the run in but it was just four seconds. We will have to work together next time and rein Phil in! Never ran well at Sandhurst but at least was 4:18 quicker than last year.

I'm assuming you're Wargrave? You may have overtaken me on the last hill; I was there with another coaster. After I overtook the Dasher I don't remember anyone in front of me, though I did have my eyes shut at that point.

4s can be a lot - there was a BFR guy 4s in front of you!

We'll get PMJ and SG one day...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A nice uphill right at the end always gets the system cooking!  Reading had the best uphill finish, as it was literally round a corner, and then 300 or so metres straight up a grassy bank and done!

Handy Cross is almost the mirror opposite of Sandhurst, with the steep downhill right near the end, but then this long finish to hang on. It's hard to smash down that hill, but then produce more along what is a slight incline, and longer than you'd think! Obviously having smashed yourself up steep hills earlier and it being one of the longer courses.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

One of the much repeated, but still always a bit wary of tempos today.

7miles MP job. Wondered how it would go being freezing, and 2 days after a race, but was probably the best one yet.

3 weeks ago it was 7miles at 5.59 average. Today, 5.57. Same 0.9mile loop for comparison's sake.

happy with that, nicely done and dusted. 4 at lunch, wycombe game this evening, this is the life image

Ric, hope your body is going easy on you in your current circumstances, as that might give you a little of a release. Smashing Handy Cross in 2 weeks would take some frustration out...

• Listened to marathontalk on the way into work this morning and they talked about the 26th Ageo City Half Marathon where 18 guys run sub 63 for the half marathon. When I was fast, 6 minute miling was the thing, these guys are doing 3 minutes per km and 21 back to back: my PB at 3k was just inside 9 minutes and I was dead at the end of 3, just another 18 to go.

http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/ichida-and-nishiike-lead-eighteen-under.html

po10 shows only Mo has gone sub 63 this year, and event the all time records only have 63 UK athletes 63 or better.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thread outing to Japan?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's what happens when you compare to elites Phil, you feel distinctly pony in comparison.

• 6.5m at lunch. 8 x ~160m hill efforts on the hill outside my work in ~46s with jog bag recs. Absolutely smashed me. Like, I'm pretty sure I was just waddling by the top. HR hit ~183bpm each rep. Then 1km @ 10k pace. Was supposed to be 2km but I just couldn't hack it!! Very rare for me to quit.. not sure if it was the hills or what but I was smashed!

4m easy to get rid of the lactate after work. Bleugh.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds tough to combine hill efforts with a flat effort! Does someone who doesn't like you set these sessions? image

Good to get the hard session out of the way in the morning though isn't it. I remember the days of knowing the hard one was coming after work..not ideal.

After your pyramids last week, i've got one on Friday for i think the first time in the years of this thread. Will be quite fun yet hard

Haven't really done hill efforts for ages either. When I last did hills it was more concentrating on form. Is a far cry from the days with Marlow where we had a designated winter block on hills. No real idea on pace distance or recovery, it was more, find some monster hills and repeatedly smash up them. Was certainly fun at the time.