Sub 3

Comments

• I read about Shelford before selbs. Nuts!image Glad to hear things are coming around for you. I believe Edinburgh is almost full btw, so you will need to make your mind up quickly.

Cheers for the hot melt glue info CW. Fingers crossed your niggles continue to dissipate!

Nice repping Wardi.

Good luck for the 10k HR.

One cheek firmly planted on the bench here. I stumbled on a bumpy unlit pavement whilst running home Tuesday night, and in the process of stopping myself falling have damaged my knee - not dissimilar to when you see somebody land awkwardly after a jump.

It is apparently a partial tear to the quadriceps tendon. Like muscles it can range from a strain (slight tear) to a complete rupture (which I obviously don't have). Waiting to hear from the doc with next steps and what, if anything, I can do in the meantime, but hopefully it is just at the strain end of things.

It sounds like it could be anything from a few more days to several weeks. I'm hoping the pain is just because anything hurts if it's torn, even if it's only a small bit. Luckily I started treating it straight away (ultrasound as well as the usual RICE protocol) which will hopefully have sped things up.

At the moment, simply lifting my leg or bending the knee though (obviously) painful is manageable, which is apparently a good sign, so fingers crossed!!!

• Sorry to hear that, TT.  My mild calf tear needed about 7-10 days no running and then a gradual build back up over about 3 weeks.  And Frankfurt didn't go too badly 9 weeks laterimage

• That's two fred victims of the dark this week image Good luck you two and safe running everyone.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Unlucky TT. There are some very bumpy pavements around here (particularly the road I live on unfortunately), with paving stones sticking up, so I've been careful recently, although inevitably I will fall over at some point.

Steady 9M or so last night with a few faster sections with the running club. Tri club dinner tonight, but hoping to get up for the usual 8am long run tomorrow!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Wardi - you can take him.  Even Ali lost five times.  The greatest are beatable

TT - that's unlucky, but part of the perils of night time running. I remember coming down a mountain path in the fog once at 3am during a race.  Only could see a patch of light from the head torch on the ground, when suddenly it turned from stony path to pitch black.  The path had turned left and I had gone straight on. For about half a second as I was free falling I thought I might have run off the edge of a cliff and was plummeting to my death. Fortunately I landed about 25 feet further down and suffered only cuts and bruises.  Unfortunately I was still about 24 hours from the end of the race.

Admittedly less of an issue in West London.

• 90th edition seems a fair comparison.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/poole/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=90

Ecky thump Dan you would sneak in the top20 after being comfortably chicked if you went South not North from London Village. If you can stand outside lavvies and a lack of electricity then I'd continue to go run in the pissing rain, son.

No further questions your honour.

As you were.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Wardi - good pace in those 1k reps, I dodnt run much quicker when I do 0.5M reps.

TT - ouch, hope it soon heals.

CW - stop the geeky googled theories and get to a fizzio ! Its December 1st Sunday so you have about a month to get all healthy before the big build up begins. You are in danger of seeing me before the Red Lion and that'd be sad after last years improvement.

Selbs - shame that you missed another start line.

6M and a 2k swim today. A massive 120M run in the month !

• TT -- bad luck, at least it was after your big marathon. So have you got your own DIY ultrasound machine, or was it the physio's?

Dan -- cor, scary story there. I was going to say you need a better head-torch, though I've sometimes found the back-scattered light a problem in fog -- maybe better to hold it in the hand if it is too dense.

TR -- you're right I'm sure. It's such a pathetic low-grade thing though, just pettily annoying really. The last time I went to the physio I was in agony. And things are significantly better, it's just not quite right yet.

• CharlieW wrote (see)

TT -- bad luck, at least it was after your big marathon. So have you got your own DIY ultrasound machine, or was it the physio's?

How did you guess? image I invested in one at the time of my knee injury years ago as it was much cheaper than paying £40 for a physio to do it, especially when they can only do 10mins at a go (but could in theory do it 4 times a day).

Jools - it was your calf issue and recovery I was thinking about whilst reassuring myself that it could be minor, etc image

Cheers all. The doc says that all signs indicate I've been lucky. Basically the movement I've got/can tolerate is what they would want somebody with a big/complete tear to be able to do before starting rehab, so the basic plan is to build up the number (and depth) of squats I can manage over the next few days, whilst performing some friction massage, along with continuing the ultrasound/RICE. If that goes ok I can go on a xtrainer Monday or Tuesday. If it doesn't then it's either an MRI or ultrasound scan to see if it's worse than expected. Either way we've got a check-point on Tuesday evening to see how it's going.

Apparently much of the pain can be due to it bleeding into the joint, which is quite common given the location.

I can hopefully wangle a 7 day gym pass too, so fingers crossed!

• Dan - things like that are why I haven't even considered those kind of races. Given my natural clumsiness it would be asking for trouble. A clubmate, upon hearing that I was thinking of having a go at a 24hr race next year for fun pointed out that it would involve running at night, on grass and trail, some of which is a bit rutted, and therefore I would most likely knacker myself........  image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

TT.. oof!  Very bad luck that.  About a year ago I went a*rse over t*t on the ice walking for the bus and damaged my ribs.  Somehow the non-overuse injuries are more frustrating!  I've got a hand held ultrasound device though my Physio says it can't be a proper one -  apparently only they are licensed to have them.

Selbs.. sorry to hear you're still a bit broken.  Nice to see you can still do a few miles though. 

Nice double again TR.

Easy 5m with Mrs Wardi tonight so my loins are truly girded for the Parkrun tomorrow.  Wonder if Dids has talked 'me Julie' into a trip out east?

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Was that 5 miles or 5 minutes to get the loins girded Wardi image

• Wardi - parkrun's definately not happening. Damn.

Ultrasound - I never, ever ceased to be amazed. This forum has some pretty clever dudes, and not many smarter than TT and Wardi, yet even they have fallen for the utterly useless ultrasound. Come on gents, why the hell would physios use it if it actually worked? There is no evidence they work. None. In the world. Ever.

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/ultrasound.php
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CRAB - if you're playing the #90 game, let's pick another one at random

Also, let's stop this game here, as I've run out of ammo.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Dids.. a placebo effect comes in handy at my age!  Sorry you ain't showing up, I guess I'll have to find some other V50/V55's to have a smackdown with.

Selbs.. Mrs Wardi doesn't like doing things in the dark on her own, that's all really. image

DanA.. must be nice to finish top of the pile occasionally.  The York PR is growing (250 ish) and is usually won by youths under 20.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

nice prize winning TR & PP.

I now have London and Fleet confirmed, although I don't feel like running a marathon at the moment.

I have a cold. Have done since Tue. Can't complain as I get very few as I try to eat healthily; don't think this is even a post marathon cold!

My mum had a great time at bootcamp yesterday, which is the main thing.  

PC power supply is bust so waiting for new one and on iPad which is painful to type.

have a good weekend everyone! 

• 36'44 it was a bit breezy, cold and much too early but that's still a big personal best. Think I ran it quite evenly but didn't really wam up until lap 4 (Last lap). Ah well! Report to come.

• Battersea Park 10k for me, too, but didn't see HR.  Well done on the pb.  I was cutting it a bit fine getting to the race and was pretty cold afterwards so didn't hang about!  39.32 for me, which is a season's worst, but a year ago would have been only 4s slower than a pb.  How things change!

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Nice one on the pb, HR. And a sub 40 is a good workout Jools. 

All the best to those too close to the bench.

227 miles for November, ticking over nicely.

• Well done HR.

I struggled to sneak 2 secs inside the 19 min barrier for the Parkrun today. Wish it was York as me and Wardi would have been having a right old battle for the old codgers laurels.

You've hit the nail on the head with the placebo effect. It's the ultimate placebo in fact. Man talking waffle combined with expensive looking machine.

I wonder what happens at physio school if someone puts their hand up and says "but is there any evidence that these machines that provide us with approx 25% of our income actually work"? I happen to know that physios themselves are indoctrinated with bad science, but I wonder if it is from top down edict, or just a peer concern that if truth ever became common knowledge they would be quickly out of work.
  • HR - Top bombing!

TT - Ouch!  Hope you recover quickly, whatever methods you apply.

After nearly two weeks my cold's gone full chesty. Raw and gunky.  Really can't see me doing anything energetic this weekend at all.  FFS! So it looks like I'm already tapering for next week and just hoping it clears up.  I'll post up a strange set of November stats to look at and give me hope that there's enough rowing in there to give me a decent time:

Running miles: 52
    Cycling miles: 222
    Rowing miles: 123 (average pace 6:46 per mile!)

• PP some top tri training there. Over 50mpw with that swimming & cycling just after (or even during) a cold seems great training to a tri observer.

LD well done on the parkrun so soon after the marathon. Oooh this website autocorrects park run to two words. Having committed that apparent faux pas in an email to organisers they wouldn't like that very much. 

Jools damn: would've been really nice to say hi to you. Now you mention it, I did see someone of your description legging it to the start. What did you think of conditions? A few people at the end were saying it wasn't ideal, but I have very little to go by. I  was really cold - can't really explain it except by saying my 'core' felt cold. Couldn't feel much life out of my metabolism until lap 4. Anyway quick report:

08.30 start. Conditions seemed ok for time of year: no frost, rain, sleet or snow but I was cold. There was a fair bit of headwind into each new lap (four laps) and I suppose being 4 laps there are some turns, and you have to weave a little from back markers but those are not huge points.

The biggest issue for me was an 08.30 start (caught a 5:50 train - argh) and the sense that my whole core was de-frosting. I just couldn't kick my metabolism into gear. I felt 'cold' until the final lap. Also two consecutive 3am starts so possibly doing this in house move week wasn't going to be optimal. Don't know if I have a sub 36' in me, but I do know now that I can go a little bit quicker than that with the right conditions. Still a 1 min pb (previous set in 2011).

Had a good race with two others, swapping positions which was a lot of fun.  

Pretty steady stats I suppose:

1: 3'36 (109)
    2: 3'41
    3: 3'36 (170)
    4: 3'41
    5: 3'42 (167)
    6: 3'42
    7: 3'40 (169)
    8: 3'41
    9: 3'44
    10: 3'29 (171)

36'44

Nov
    238 miles
    Rest days: 0
    Races: 4
    Pb's: 4 (5k, 10k, 7m, 10m)

Should probably stop complaining thenimage

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Dids.. not worth the trip to York.  Blowing a hoolie along the Grandstand side (1-2k and again at 4-5k) took the edge off fast times.  Plus lots of digging going on with racecourse refurbishment - this meant one section along re-routed hardcore & grass & a hastily re-measured course.  Modest 20:55 for me.  Still, enjoyed the early morning blast.  Anyway congrats on the sub 19 fellow codger.

Top running HR (nice PB) & Jools, blimey it was cold wasn't it!

• It was indeed Wardi. Nice blow out for you in far from ideal sounding conditions. I haven't experienced that sort of inner cold in a race before. Was hanging around for ages beforehand. All good learning experiences.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

nice one HR, that must be nicley under 6mm, so decent leg speed.

Jools - shows how much you've improved this year. What do you think has made teh difference this year ?

shame that the Wardi vs dids smackdown never happened.

PP - get on the booze !

I've been at work all day since early and have the same planned for tomorrow, so no long bike or long run here. good time of year for bagging brownie points on the home and work fronts though.

120M for November ! Must try harder in December. Entered Chichester 10k y'day (feb) and thats a smoking fast course, so should be able to bag a fast time.

• TR - You read my mind, just bought 2 x 750ml Leffe Blonde. (I'm being dragged to a party this evening. image )

Nice one on Chichester. I'm skipping it this year, the next fast 10k I've got planned is Eastleigh.

• Nice PB HR, and good pace Jools.

Decent sessions towards the end of this week, with a fairly quick 8.5 mile on Thursday (out in 5:45s/back in 5:30s) and 2x12min/2x3min with a few hills today - fairly easy long run tomorrow to start the final taper.

254 miles for the month, lowest since July with taper weeks and 2 days off for niggles but still more than I'd ever done before this summer.

• HR - nice PB wit excellent pacing to top off an amazing Nov image

I'd like to get some opinions on doubles and rest days please. My max mileage this year was 70mpw with one day off a week. I'm moving to a 10 day cycle next year to fit around work and plan to run around 80mpw equivalent with the introduction of doubles.I will need at least one day off per 10 day cycle as I find it helps me mentally. So the equation is 2 doubles per cycle with 1 rest day or 3 doubles with 2 rest days??

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

I'm still benched.  Not really up for a run this PM and I don't think it'll help.  I'll just start tomorrow.  

Dan - that sounded painful!  

TT - Rest up, good luck.

Jools and HR - nice racing.  

I hate Portsmouth at this time of year.  Hard to get anywhere - massive queues as everyone rushes for faux discounts at Gunwharf Outlets.  I got a PS3 120gb yesterday though... a bargain for £60 with 4 games (and is a blu ray/dvd player - my dvd player has broken so a valid purchase).  

I think the value of unwinding is important.  I run to unwind from stress of work but never unwind from the stress of running! Always planning, looking at numbers, reading books about how to improve.  I'm going to just put my feet up and play silly games!    

• selbs -- hope the softly-softly progression does the trick.

HR & Jools -- well 10k'd, esp your PB HR. I agonised about wearing warmer clothes in the last Cambridge HM, and was glad I did -- a lot of people were near-hypothermic, and I think the additional weight/drag of layers is probably more than offset by having fully energised muscles in freezing conditions.

PP -- ooh, bad luck on the worsening lurgy. Take it easy. Sorry you're benched too Toro.

bufo -- less is more now!

I had 2 days off running (Fri & Sat) but the back of my thigh and foot were still niggly -- set off I think by hours of driving on Weds, and then hours of trains yesterday. But I'd made the schoolboy error of neglecting a bit of running 101 -- vitamin I. Had some ibupro last night and things definitely got better. So this morning I took a couple about an hour before heading out for a run, and was almost niggle-free -- and yes I dug up my spuds and most of the rest of the allotment, with 13.2M @ 6:50/M and a few hill reps in there too. But I didn't want to stop when it felt good for a change. I know one shouldn't depend on the NSAIDs, but if I'm suffering a tedious self-reinforcing inflammation, maybe it could help break the cycle. I used plenty when I had "proper" sciatica 2 years ago, and got over that after a while.

November stats: 98M @ 7:26/M avg, including a noddy 1.1M race. And a bit of cycling.