Trail Running Backpack

Been doing a lot of trail/fell races but could do with a backpack to run with that can store waterproof trousers and a jacket. Any suggestions? Cheers.

Comments

• What are you using now? A few weeks ago I have been to a store with a lot of brands and models and tested everything. I finally bought the Salomon Slab-12 and I am really happy with it.

I use it a lot already, and even without a lot of stuff in it it feels great and not bulky. There is also a smaller variant, the Slab-5

The other brand I liked was a Raidlight backpack but I can;t remember the name of the model

I would buy a pack that is good in various circumstances like the Slab 12. Suitbale for both shorter runs without a lot of stuff and longer ones as well.

• Raidlight Endurance
    best
    pack
    ever
    loads of features
    I particularly like the side mesh pockets to hold drinks bottles that can be accessed on the go
    plus a zip pocket on the belt (always useful)

Salomon are good packs too
    also OMM (Last Drop and Ultra)

• Not currently using anything as i havent had to yet. The suggestions so far look good but a bit pricey. Just looking for something simple that will hold what i need it to hold and wont move about or be uncomfortable whilst running.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for something cheaper try Decathlon. I got one for about 25 quid. Has worked perfectly on runs of up to 50k this summer.
  • Chears will have a look in decathlon, that was the sort of price range id be hoping for. 

• Yep I agree. I also have a Decathlon, use that one on the bike sometimes

http://www.runpower.nl/images/101111_4.jpg

• I've got an Inov8 race pro 12 and LOVE IT..  I went for the 1ltr H2Orizontal bladder and it's perfect for me, sits low on the waist and no sloshing.

• I used to use an OMM pack and thought it was great.

Then the dog ate a hole in it.

So I bought a salomon slab 12 and its about a million times better.

Seriously, I think you get what you pay for.

• Peronel wrote (see)

I used to use an OMM pack and thought it was great.

Then the dog ate a hole in it.

So I bought a salomon slab 12 and its about a million times better.

Seriously, I think you get what you pay for.

I agree. The salomon slab12 is really worth its money and I use it for shorter runs as well, because it doesn't bother me at all. That said, in the summer I will keep using my Nathan Racevest if I only need hydration because it will be a bit less warm than the Slab12

• Dakine Heli Pack. 

Bomb proof. Has been everywhere over the past 10 years and is still going strong.

• I've loved my Salomon XT wings 10+3 vest. But on the last couple of long runs/ultras this summer it started eating holes in my back - the padding seems to have compressed down, such that the lid of my drinks bladder was rubbing once it got fairly empty, and it was rubbing at the bottom as well. Anyone else had this? Any solutions (I put an extra piece of foam in for Ladybower 50)? Any suggestions for a replacement (not that I'm going to need one for a year image)? Maybe one where I have the option of bottles on the front for races but which will also take a bladder for long self-supported runs?

I tried the Raidlight but the bottle holders on the sides bashed my elbows with every stride.

• I love my Salomon sac/vest too (12 litres). I've done a 34m ultra, associated training and my autumn marathon training in it and had no chaffing issues. And I'm quite a chaff-prone person. But it's only 9 months old. I can get the usual mandatory trail running kit. My only complaint is that I find the zipped side pockets a bit hard to access on the move (but may just be my rubbish shoulder/elbow articulation) and the chest straps are hard to undo when I have chilly fingers. I also find the pole carrying loops at the top and bottom a bit hard to get my poles into on the go - again may be my lack of coordination! image

I also have an innov8 15litre sack with a horizontal bladder. This was OK and I've worn it a lot. It was just a bit big and tended to sag in the middle if it wasn't jam packed full.I do like the horizontal bladder though, it seems to bounce less.

• +1 for the salomon s-lab 12.