Sub 3

Comments

• Good to hear you're running again CWThere's at least one other high mileage runner on here who knocked out inflammation through NSAIDs. He basically just kept going and the problem went. Also CW that's very interesting. I felt stronger on the track the week before in tights & long sleeves.

Toro all best for the recovery. 

PP likewise. I put the mochas on you saying you were getting better. Argh. All best for it.

TR yes 5'54.

Just back from 20 comfortable pre-brekky miles @7'25 mm. Makes me think I must've left some petrol in the tank yesterday as that felt easy. Ah well. Fitter than at any point in my life. I need to fine tune some race prep I think. Would be interested to hear how others on here do it? For the shorter A target 5ks/10ks/10m what do you do for the couple of weeks before in terms of training and eating etc.?

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Enjoy the "feeling fit" feeling HR! Impressive 20 after yesterday's effort. A nice slow 18 bagged for me.

• 13M easy for me to blow away the cobwebs.  51M for the week as I ease back into proper training.

TR: I doubt it's any one thing which has led to this year going well.  I'd hazard a guess that ultimately the endurance focus of 2011 (preparing for the ultra), followed by doing more speedwork than usual last summer and then having a good winter with (for me) high miles but still enough quality has all come together.  Back in base building mode now to hopefully continue the improvements next year.

PP: hope the Leffe has worked its magic.  A fair quantity of Riesling has shifted the sore throat I had yesterday afternoon!

• HR, great 10k pb and congrats on recent progress. Superb! Of course you will be sniffing out the sub35 soon enough and training even harder ..... image

Jools, it's been a great year for you, I'd take that sub40 and serve it with some leaves and lovely dressing. It's a great run. I have a sub40 10k for the first 10k at the great west run, but it doesn't really count, as it was a half Mara (although it was a chip timed split of the first 10). I'm targeting a proper sub40 (actually a sub39) at the Bupa London10k in May (anyone else doing that-meet up?)- that'll be one of my post marathon training, still got some fitness in my legs, go hell for leather and see if/how much I've improved race. 

LordDids, nice sub19 at parkrun, that's another benchmark I will be trying to hit in early 2014. I have a 19.49 from the summer at Hampstead Heath and 21 even from plymvalley Glastonbury style mudfest from October, so looking for a new best at Hampstead around end of January and if I can't sneak under 19 I might slide over to the flats of Regents Park and hopefully nail something good there. I try not to do these parkruns too much as I cannot bear 5k running. It's just gaspy, no let up just run like the clappers and try not to get passed by too many youngsters at the end.

today had a nice 13 mile "Long run" in 1.36. Quite hilly round my way, took the hills slow, but maybe a little quicker coming back down the other side. 

Fantastic mileage I'm reading about on here as usual ....... I'm still in marathon recovery mode. Might hit 30 miles next week.

• HR - Great final 1k in your 10K - nice sprint finish, well done.

Jools - Solid sub-40 effort

LD - well done for getting under 19.

Bufo - that's more than a 'fairly quick' 8.5m - speedy!

I have created a Team on Strava for members of this thread if anyone fancies joining: http://app.strava.com/clubs/sub3

November: 171 miles

This week: 56m

Today: 15m easy

I have a big showdown on Tuesday for 2nd Vet 40 honours between me and a clubmate in our club 5k league. I think I'll need to run close to 17m to beat him.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Looks like the recent marathoners are recuperating at a similar rate of knots, nice MLR's JImbob & Jools.  BTW Jools, I never had you down as a frequent tippler though I can't deny you've earned a few boozy evenings recently!

Good pace for 20m the day after a 10k HR, nice 18m from Nichs too. 

Charlie.. bet that potato digging felt good!  FWIW during my nerve related injury (around hamstring tendon) I must say rest did nothing to effect a cure,  At it's worst getting in & out of a car was painful and putting on socks & shoes was quite a challenge.  In the end (after 4 months) going for a run got rid of it - overnight.

Bufo.. cracking paces again.  Sorry I've forgotten, which event are you tapering for?

Ryan.. once you have built up to it try a 10 day phase of each & see how you feel.  You might find 3 doubles in 10 days too much.

Luke.. good luck on Tuesday, give it full beans!

13.4m for me today, no wind at all and quite bright up here so enjoyed the trundle around the country lanes.  Loads of cyclists out today.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Jimbob, I've just done 4 weeks of hills (3 "training sessions" per week) in and around Hampstead, but will drop down to the flat Regents Park and Hyde Park etc during some non match burning base building in December. Regents Park is excellent for time trials later in the campaign. Looks like you're right back into it Wardi

• Wardi -- bufo's been selected for the Oxbridge varsity match, something that Hobbling Harrier & I missed out on -- hence my vicarious desire to see him do well! Unlike Jeffrey Archer's false claim, he will then have earned a Blue (or half if it goes badly?) and be able to impress his chums with a scarf of the appropriate colour and wear a ridiculous blazer to garden parties if he really wants to... though being a modest chap I suspect that may not appeal. But good luck for Saturday!

• Wardi - I think that you're right about 3 being too many. I'm going to experiment with 2 days off and 2 doubles every 10 days during my December base build and see how it goes image

A nice gentle 7m by the river this morning - loverly. Beers tonight, day off tomorrow and first ever double on Tues (a whopping 3+3!!)

• Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Nice 10ks HR (great PB!) and Jools (great year!) and wonderful stuff bufo - sounds like you have a great group to train with and again, you make me regret only having got into running a few years ago when I was 28 and so missed out on that (I think I'll have been there the same time as e.g. Ben Moreau, who I see just ran a 2:15 at Fukuoka, which must put him in line for the CG - I think Webb and Torry are the only others who've run that).

Sorry to see I've been joined on the bench by quite a few - Phil Pub, hope the slightly protracted taper works out and you recover swiftly.  TT, hope things clear up soon and likewise Al_P.  I was optimistic this time last week that I'd be back running around now but I think it will be yet another week.  Bloody annoying, but serves me right for doing too big a run (easy though it was) straight after my 2 week holiday.  So will be 6 weeks at least with only one or two runs before I'm back.  Still, VLM's a while away.  Still doing a lot of the pool running.  It's hard work (mostly intervals), and can be slightly boring, but I've put in some good sessions, including a total of 1hr 35 in the water yesterday with around 50 mins steady effort and some fartlek-like 3 min intervals and then 70 mins today, including a big 50 min tempo + 4/3/2/1/1 ladder for just over an hour's effort (prob just over mara effort for the 50 and HM/over for the bursts, taking into account lower HR in water).  Will cut back this week so I don't overdo it but will be curious to see what it's done for me when I'm back running - feels very good for the muscles with the resistance (legs can be a bit mashed afterwards).   

Keep well all.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

HR - nice to get that 10k PB down to a level that better reflects your ability. Definitely more to come though!

Jools - also a very nice 10k. You can't PB every time, so have to be happy with that!

Sorry to hear about the benchees. PP - take it easy, you'll be fine next weekend if you're recovered.

Nice parkrunning and "long" runs (not as long as Feb/March of course) by lots of people too.

Friday was our work Xmas football comp, but I could only play half then had to go to the tri club dinner. A late night (about 3am) but didn't drink too much.

Saturday morning I woke up at my usual time (6:30am) despite the late night, so joined the group for a steady run - about 12M at about 8m/m, all off-road. Wore my new trail shoes (Saucony Peregrine) which felt very nice.

Just under 60M on the bike this morning, which was good fun. On the run-in to our tradition "finish line", 2 of us broke away with a couple of miles to go and managed to hold off the 6 chasing (although the other guy did pip me on the line to win - it was the guy who came 10th in IM Wales, so pretty strong!). Absolutely buried myself for those 5 minutes, averaging about 28 mph, and had proper jelly legs after! Good fun.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

HR - sounds like you could have gone faster y'day, so that bodes well.

CW - google ibuprofen and endurance sports and what can happen if you mix them. Paracetamol is safer apparantly.

Ryan - I have done a few doubles a week before with no rest days, but I do have non running days.

Padams - I like teh sound of your bike group, good quality riding.

5+8 commute for me. 

• Awww thanks for kind comments folks. Hope so Padams. Going to try anyway!

To the benchees: PP first up, what news on the chest cold? I thought it was over when I posted my congratulatory ode only to realise you were saying it was worse than before.

Selbs hope your tendon recovers soon. Edinburgh sounds like a good target.

TT: what news with the knee?

Wardi: 'only the physios are licensed to have proper ultrasounds'. That was definitely red rag to LDimage

Toro
    : what news on the cold? I liked your 'I run to unwind' comment.

Bufo: good sessions and outstanding on your Varsity selection

Lev_ sounds as if the pool sessions are going well. It's supposed to be excellent form of training.

Nichs: nice long run and I like the sound of those hill sessions up on the heath.

Good weekly mileage building up Joolska and, likewise, The Jimbob with your longish run. Wardi another with a nice 13 miler.

Luke - good luck for the Tuesday showdown.

Padams - top work on the bike and nice run the day before on 3.5 hours sleep I think? Ouch!

TR good double. I detect a man who is going to start cranking up the mileage for VLM?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

HR - not the mileage, not so much commute plodding this time, this time I plan on more quality.

• Well I feel better than I did yesterday but that's not saying much! At least the chest isn't raw and I'm less gunky.  Sum total of 8 miles on the bike today, just to get to my dad's and back, and the aerobic system didn't like being stimulated too much.  Best I can say is that judging by the course of a typical cold I think I'm over the worst of it. Actually the best I've felt for ages was last night when I was rather drunk.  Maybe I should just keep drinking till next weekend.

• HR nice pb, well done! Sounds like you can chip away at that a bit more yet

Jools A measure of how far you have come that a seasons worst is only 4 seconds off last years pb, great improvement!

Disrupted week for me last week as I was on a course with 2 exams & lot's of study to do, so running already took a bit of a back seat & wasn't aided by eating & drinking too much for my birthday celebrations over the weekend. Easy week won't do any harm though I'm sure.

• Nice 10k' HR and Jools. A big pb and a race that shows how far you've come by having it as a sw, respectively.

Thanks for asking btw HR. I do seem to have been lucky. The bruising came up, but was less than the size of a penny on the medial size of the tendon. I'm managing to do full squats on it since yesterday. I was told when I can do that I can try something like a xtrainer, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow. Definitely improving and I do seem to have been a very very lucky boy!

Bad luck on the cold PP. I've had enough this winter to last me several years. 

Wardi - funnily enough, my bookmark of this thread comes in on the page where you were discussing the progress of your rib injury. As I understand it, the handheld ultrasound operate on a different frequency and won't work as deeply, which given that most of my knocks/niggles tend to be superficial/close to the surface, is fine. Whether it works or not is a different matter, but at least it doesn't do any harm so given I do it whilst watching tv it's no skin off of my nose.

LD - I shall give your ongoing scepticism and ability to complain about pretty much everything the response it deservesimage, by saying

• Oh, and November mileage was:

227.95m @ 7:14 with 12 rest days.

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

HR & Jools - Excellent 10k racing at the weekend, nicely done on getting a PB HR and Jools you seem to be up a good notch and have managed the recovery from Frankfurt really well!

TT - Good to hear the knee isn't too serious. I have to say I'm very dubious about the value of ultrasound, just seems to be a de-facto treatment for pain and inflammation these days. I've never felt any tangible benefit from it, but I guess it nicely fills up the remaining portion of the treatment appointment once the massage is done and saves over-straining the fizz's hands too much image

Great parkrunning from LD and Wardi, some very good multi disciplinary training from TR and Padams, and sending out healing vibes to the fellow benchees (Lev, Selbs, TT, PP and Toro)

Still benched here, did nothing over the weekend (due to London trip to visit friends) and my tib. ant. tendon is improving, fine to walk on, flex, do ankle raises etc... but there's still some inflammation and a little bit of soreness when I press on it, so I'm playing safe and giving it another day or two off. Treatment consists of ice (direct contact massaging the area for 10 mins) and self massage with a capsicum/arnica  based cream the fizz recommended. Don't know how effective the cream is, but it warms the area up nicely (being based on chilli!) and lets me give the tendon a good rub down, just have to wash my hands very thoroughly afterwards, especially before touching my contact lenses! image

Did a 40min water run first thing today with 5x5min efforts off 1min recovery 'jog'.

Nov Stats

Run Miles - 179 @ 6:54/M

Races - 2 (1 x XC, 1 x HM)

Bike Miles (commuting) - 81 @ 14.7mph

Rest days - 12

• As per my comment to Wardi, Al_P, I'm not convinced it necessarily does much, but it saves me having to shell out for physio to find out, especially as I can self massage things like this myself (and I have 'The Stick' for bigger muscles if required). But, as LD seems to be the original grumpy old man and is annoyed by most physio related things, I shall most likely continue to mention every time I use it for somethingimage
    Glad to hear you're coming along.

• OldNo7 -- many happy returns!

Al_P -- with all those seasonings as ingredients, PP will put your cream in some gourmet soup if you don't watch out. Hope it does the trick.

TR -- don't worry, I won't make a long-term habit of training on ibuprofen, as some do apparently. But it actually reduces inflammation, whereas paracetamol only reduces pain. Foot seems absolutely fine today, bit of twinging down the back of the thigh though, so I have just popped another couple.

I've got a more welcome leg problem today -- DOMS! Sad to say that my fitness has declined a fair bit recently, so my 89 min half with some hills yesterday was actually pushing my calves a bit. Still, it was nice to have been able to train hard enough to get stiff muscles. Just a slightly extended bike commute this morning.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Charlie - am running Wokingham half with a friend so thought I better do a little running, long run is up to 8 miles 5km is back under 19 mins. Body weight is about 7kgs above my 2008 weight when I was running well.

Cycling keeps me fit but I have bigger legs than ever before and in winter I still eat far too much.

Phil - I do track racing, road racing, time trials and Cyclo X, why do one when you can do many :??)

Plan is to spend the time running 20 -30 miles a week and lose some weight.

How hard can it be ? :??)
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

quite hard i am finding Gobi!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - i understand that Ibuprofen is for reducing inflammation where as Paracetamol is for pain, I wasnt meaning its pain killer powers anyway, I was more about the Kidney bashing (during endurance sports).

Just a bike commute and a 2k swim for me today. Monday is my current rest day.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Much better now, thanks! Amazing how a run gets rid of the gunk. 

TR - I did not know that. Oops. Maximuscle Viper Active or similar phosphate loading products are not meant to be very kind either on the insides (inc kidney failure months later).

Ryan - I just did my first double. Speed tomorrow.  Aim is to max out during Marathon training at 70 mpw, I think although all TBC.  Will aim for 2 a week so maybe 3 off 10 days isn't crazy.  The key is that the easy miles are very easy from what I gather but am struggling with!

I have heard and I will be running London and Fleet which is good news and gives me a focus.  Hopefully my peak weeks will be in Spain at over 800m.  

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Easy miles ... Reading the Maffetone book at the moment. He recommends 128 bpm !?

My max heart rate = 191, marathon effort averages at 160bpm. Aerobic is from 135 to 150 and hopefully into the 150s after some good base work. Easy for me is at 124 bpm.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=377781

Interesting. 150 max HR for aerobic - not outrageous (78% ish off top of my head).  I like Don Fink "Ironfit" as he allows up to 85% if I remember correctly for Z1-2 (only 4 zones and Z3 is NML I think). 

• Wardi - could be game on this weekend! Think we're off to watch my daughter pulling on an oar in the Ouse .... so an early start is on the cards. York Parkrun here we come.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Dids.. not sure if I can make it this week but will try me best.  Looks pretty calm for Saturday, compared to Thursday anyway - 32mph winds ffs!

Gobi.. hello again, my advice would be to stay away from those Crunchies. image

• Thought I'd say hello after an absolute age image

Sorry to hear of the injuries and hope you all heal up quickly.

Nice to see DanA on Sunday at the Perivale5.  He was trying to trip me up in the first 100m and went off like Usain Bolt.  Looked very resplendent in his red xempo T image  I was happy with 27:50 for 8th place and 1st V40 off the back of a Lamb Bhuna and half a bott of wine .

Nice to see Gobi back running again.  You must come round for tea sooon Dad.

Plan for me is VLM again and a few Half mara's chucked in again.  Really believe I have a 1.13 in me again.  Must keep the head down and will be up for having a go.