Best Mens Running Tights?

Hi, I'm training for the marathon and want to get some decent tights to train in/ I've only ever runs in shorts before so have no idea what to go for, any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Why do you need to swap from your shorts ?
  • Winters over now - I'd stick with shorts.
  • why not just go all out and run in budgie smugglers? 

• Now why doesn't that surprise me David
  • Jesus, i'd heard good things about running tights and the benefits they can have on your training so wanted to try them out. I'm perfectly comfortable running in tights, and your opinions say an awful lot about all of you. This is my first time posting on here as this is my first marathon. I was looking for advice from what I was led to belive was a friendly and welcoming community, clearly I was mistaken.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Hi Rafe, it does depend on why you want to wear the tights - is it for additional warmth or is it for compression/support?

Generally, most kit manufacturers have a least one pair of tights in their line-up.  I have a cheap pair of Nike tights and a more expensive pair of Gore Running tights.  The Nike ones are thinner material, and the finish isn't quite as good as the Gore ones - but the Gore ones were at least twice the price.  For the marathon long runs I'll favour the Gore ones, but for normal mid-week runs I'd take whichever ones are clean. Also, this kinda reflects my running wardrobe - my favourite stuff is the Gore kit but I tend to only buy it when I see it heavily reduced as the RRP is quite high.  So if you currently have a preferred brand of kit, then it might be worth sticking with them.

If you're after compression tights, both Skins and 2XU seem to be highly regarded, but I don't have any personal experience of either.

They do tend to get worn only when its sub-zero temperatures, although I did wear the Gore ones on my long run yesterday in (slightly warmer) temperature due to the cold wind & rain, as they stopped the wind chill.

As you may have seen from the other posters, they aren't essential kit for marathon training in UK conditions.  If you're training in a colder climate then they may be more important.     

• Apologies! Scanned through all of those very quickly, didn't look at it enough to realise the light-hearted nature of the comments, didn't mean to snap! 

Stutyr thanks for the reply. To be honest hot/cold not really an issue for me, I tend to run in just shorts and a vest no matter what it's like outside, i'm more interested in the benefits compression tights can have (if there are any!?). I've read that they can improve the flow of oxygen during the workout and speed up recovery afterwards, is this the case? I suppose the other thing to think about is wether i'm going to overheat wearing them! Temperature's never been an issue for me because I tend to warm up fairly quickly when running, never really thought about being too hot though! 

• Well now we have had an explaination....

I have a pair of 2XU compression tights, I don;t run in them tho I usually wear them for a couple of hours straight after any long run

• i have some 2xu ones that i find have a little too much compression to run in, so i wear them like dave, post run, but i also have a pair of adidas foremotion ones for running in that i think are fantastic, last year i'd tried some karimorre and some craft ones and didnt like them, the adidas were quite spendy (£50 and in a sale rrpis £80 i believe) compared to them but worth it, the design with various materials in the panels made them stay put, not riding up or down, and the breathability in the back of the knee pannel is great too. 

• After a lot of research decided to give skins A600 a go

Must admit they have helped me spot on for recovery as

Well .
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I've got a pair of the Orca performance tights. They're a medium, but even on me they have a lot of compression. Not easy to get on and off. Fine to run in though and good for supporting your muscles on longer runs. Startfitness are always selling them off cheaper at about ??30. Also have the 2XU but in a large (because they were very cheap). Both very good quality. Worth it, but only if you can get a heavy discount.
  • I'm not a man, as you can probably tell, but I also wear 2XU tights and run in them for most of the year - I only dig out shorts for summer and racing because I'm a woss. I got a pair of the thermal tights back in November, and I have to say they are awesome in cold weather, but I love the feeling of the standard tights - they feel really shiny and fast, and I don't get that feeling in any other tights. I have noticed the benefits of the compression as well, and when I've picked up niggles I've slept in them/worn them under trousers to work (not the same pair as I ran in, obviously, that would be gross), and found they've helped me get over them quickly.

• Rafe Clutton wrote (see)

Jesus, i'd heard good things about running tights and the benefits they can have on your training so wanted to try them out. I'm perfectly comfortable running in tights, and your opinions say an awful lot about all of you. This is my first time posting on here as this is my first marathon. I was looking for advice from what I was led to belive was a friendly and welcoming community, clearly I was mistaken.

There are very good reasons for running in tights rather than shorts.  I run exclusively in tights because I have narrow hips so if I wear shorts I end up with raw patches on the inside of my thighs which are painful to say the least and no amount of petroleum jelly is enough to sort it.  I have run three marathons and have lost count of the half marathons but all of them have been in tights.  There is no way I could run even a half marathon in shorts.

Anyway to answer the question. I mostly use mizuno short tights which I have had a few years now and they are still ok. For cold weather I use salomon three quarter or full length tights.  I have noticed that the sizing advice tends to be on the tight side these days probably because of the 'compression' fad. I tend to go for a size larger these days. I am 70 kilos and a 31 waist but find I need a large size in short tights. The Salomon seem betterthough so I only need a medium in them.

Wearing shorts may make me look like an ageing and wimpy super hero but at least I am comfortable and able to run.

• I've just started to give compression tights a go and find them good to run in, but getting a bit warm if the sun is out. Feel better after a run as well. I opted for the sub ones from amazon as they're half the price of skins/2xu, so could have a go without spending loads. Started with the thermal ones in the the winter and impressed so got the normal ones for spring/summer. Like I said earlier, when summer does turn up they're a bit warm, but great for early morning runs. Downside is legs stay that white pasty colour as don't see the little sun we do get!

• I am also looking to purchase a decent pair of running/compression tights for the winter , I have some cheap karrimoor ones in medium and they fit me like Nora Batty and look cheap.. I have skinny legs and I am about 5ft 11 so was thinking to go for a small fitting ?? Any help greatly appreciated 

• I use skins a200 (I think) and really like them. Decent for weather and I find decent compression but not used any others.
  • Rafe Clutton wrote (see)

Jesus, i'd heard good things about running tights and the benefits they can have on your training so wanted to try them out. I'm perfectly comfortable running in tights, and your opinions say an awful lot about all of you. This is my first time posting on here as this is my first marathon. I was looking for advice from what I was led to belive was a friendly and welcoming community, clearly I was mistaken.

Firstly, don’t pay any attention to them.  They were raised by wolves, and don’t know any better.   

• samoffsamoff ✭✭✭

I wear lycra Nike Dry-fit tights in the winter. Cold legs can mean tight tendons for me these days. As a cyclist I have a high threshold of embarrassment when it comes to apparel, although I do self-consciously put shorts on over my running tights.

I'd recommend the Dry-fit ones as a cheap option for skinny legs. I'm 5"9 and the Medium ones are good for me. 

I wish I could afford to try the compression tights, but it's too much of an outlay for the sake of experiment 

• I wear tights or thermals in the winter and just cover them up with some running bottoms.

I run to work but first I have to stand at the tube station in the freezing cold before I get into the city so I wears layers.

I normally nick the mrs stretchy ones and if its really cold I get out the old thermals like this morning.

Look on Amazon for running bottoms, I usually go for the Ronhill ones.

• Yeah I'm a proper raver, don't you know

• I've just bought some OMM tights from Wiggle and my word they're tight. They look like something out of Miley Cyrus's onstage wardrobe. They're tighter and more revealing than my tri shorts and reckon that I'd better wear shorts over them to save embarrassment for local womankind.

• I run in Skins thigh compression stuff I think they are A200 - I love them. I used to wear boxers under shorts but asked here many moons ago what others wore.

So with shorts I wear the Skins and no pants.

In the winter I wear a pair of Adidas full length tights - not compression and shorts. I'm not one for showing off the danglies in tights. LOL.

I like running in tights, but am getting more used to the shorts and thigh tights now (and starting to prefer them).

GJE

• Ran for the first six months in just shorts but moved to using a pair of Skins A200s during running and for a couple of hours afterwards. Don't know if the effect is psychological or physiological but do seem to aid recovery.

NB - Wear no pants under them. Much more comfortable.

NNB - Still wear shorts over the tights . Not a pretty sight for innocent bystanders otherwise.