WELSH RUNNERS

Comments

• caerphily area..........ystrad mynach

and in June caerphilly is having its first 10k race.......

• I'm a welsh runner - I'm not welsh, but as I live in north west Wales, my running is!
  • Shona, I think you and I are gonna have to start our own Parkmrun. How far is Eirias Park from you?
  • Ooh, 15 minutes! Sounds perfect.
  • legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Also heard a rumour that there was going to be a Parkrun in Pontypridd in Ynysangharad Park, plus in the Parkrun newsletter a few weeks ago, there was mention of a second Cardiff Parkrun in Grangetown!? I think that would be a bit of overkill if all that was to happen... Newport, Cardiff (x2), Caerphilly, Pontypridd, Porthcawl - 6 Parkruns within less than an hour of each other! Plenty of options though.

Can't wait for Cardiff Parkrun tomorrow. Looking for PB - is that realistic given last week there were 380 there and there's been over 400 a couple of times already this year or is it getting too crowded to expect too much.

• Blimey - that really is overkill in terms of parkruns!!

Legend - good luck for your 5k parkrun tomorrow -hope you get the pb. I'll be trying not to get a PW (personal worst) tomorrow in my 5k race. image

• good luck legend and LTS! I am running 'round the lakes' in Rhayader tomorrow which is 20m but there is 5m too if anyone wants a shorter distance. Smack bang in the middle of Wales and will be all over in time for the rugby!
  • ledgend .. you forgot bryn bach parc...

• Sounds lovely Camlo, but I'm having a lie-in tomorrow image. To be fair, I am just back from my first ever nine mile run, so I think i may have earned it! Proper wet rain and welsh hills, got to love them.

• I like the Cardiff Parkrun even though im in Newport, instead of 2 different venues i think 2 runs an hour apart would be better, say 8 and 9 o'clock, would ease the congestion.

• Im a Welsh runner but living in England image but have done a couple of races in north wales

• K80 - there's a new Park Run just started on the other side of Chester. Too far for me, but depending where in Denbighshire you are, could be feasible.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/delamere/
  • legend777legend777 ✭✭✭
    PB for me in Cardiff park run... 22:26. Really pleased. Has made me more determined to start concentrating more on speed sessions and getting back in core exercises to reduce that time even further with the ultimate aim of one day going sub 20. That's a long term goal mind. Don't expect to knock another 2 and a half minutes off any time soon and going to take a lot of work
  • Legend - well done. Excellent pb - really pleased for you image Sub 20 is my longer term goal too. I also got my 5k pb in the Cardiff parkrun, back in 2011 image

Camlo - how did your 20 mile race go??

I ran ok in the 5k saturday - finished 3rd female. Not sure of my time yet - results should be out this evening. Also managed my first long run for my summer marathon yesterday. Only 90 minutes on my feet, but it's a start.

All in all a good weekend for sport & I'm English...Wales truly deserved the win - they played really well & made the English players look pathetic.

• cardiff is my 5k PB in 2011 image

• Legend well done, you were just in front of me as I ran 22.41.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing the Atlantic College 10K this weekend? I'm signed up and looking for my 3rd different distance PB of the month having already beaten my Half Marathon and 5K time. My 10K pb is 48:25. Confident I can get sub 48 and hopefully even better, but we'll see on the day.

I believe there's a few events this weekend around south wales. First park run in West Wales, the 5/10/20 miler in Llanelli, and the San Dom 20 miler. Plenty to choose from with the other usual park runs as well.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

All gone very quite on this thread.

I beat my 10K time despite freezing and windy conditions in the Atlantic College 10K. Knocked 40 seconds off finishing in 47:45. Confident that on a flat course in better conditions I could possibly even go sub 47 with the ultimate goal of someday going sub 45 (long way off). Think there were a few more there than expected as well with a couple of other events being cancelled last minute.

LTS - did you attend the first Llyn Llech parkrun after? We got the trial run of the Porthcawl event this Saturday so fingers crossed it all goes well before the official first event on April 6th.

• Legend - well done for the Atlantic College run - another pb image I heard the conditions were bad. if you can do sub 48 in bad weather, you can certainly do sub 45 in a few months time.

Can you get to Swansea? That course in September has pb potential.

I didnt make it to the parkrun - trying to save petrol. I did a couple of local runs from my house instead, but they are not very scenic and I missed my long run due to the cold weather...turned back after 4.

Hope to do a parkrun this saturday though. Have you got a link or any information for the porthcawl event?

• fab park runs Legend and LTS and a shiny 10k pb legend, you must be chuffed given the conditions?

LTS - this weather is truly carp and sorry to hear your long run was thwarted. Thankfully although we had snow in Powys, it wasn't much and the roads were clear so could still get out.

The 20m round the lakes was a different kettle of fish, started in sunshine but the middle was a nightmare with hail and snow. Road was white over and it was a first to take a drink which had ice around the rim! Pleased with my time though (3:03) as hopefully means a sub 4 mara is possible at London.

Did anyone do San Dom?

Tonight we have firmed up arrangements for 3x 5ks in May/ June. Details on Rhayader running club website if anyone fancies them.
  • San Dom 20 did'nt take place due to bad weather.

• not surprised, we were up Sugar Loaf doing the Three Peaks Trial and it was very snowy!!

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Another pb for me. Where will it end! Did 21:59 at the Porthcawl Park Run Trial. There were 65 runners from the 6 Bridgend clubs who helped set it up so the trial run was used as a sort of Bridgend clubs race. Looking forward to the first official one this Saturday. Helen and Mark Jenkins started the event and Steve Brace was the race director so 3 Olympians in attendance and we haven't even properly started!

LTS - there's a page set up for the Porthcawl Park Run on the official site... http://www.parkrun.org.uk/porthcawl/

There was also an article about it somewhere earlier this week where the possibility of a Pontypridd park run was mentioned again.

• I've just started running, am based in the Porthmadog area and have entered my first ever race - http://www.6thtrail.co.uk/ which will be in April image.

Wish there were parkruns in this part of Wales, even though I haven't managed more than 3k yet (only been running 2 weeks!), and about half of that must have been walking!

• imageAnyone entered xmas pudding run, Merthyr Mawr on the 15th.

Legend sub 21 yet !!

FOOW, all the best for your first race in April image

• Pudding run is one of my favourites..wouldn't miss it image

• Bet I am last up the big dipper.

• I sprinted up there last year.......well i was just behind my hubby all the way up and then made a sprint for it near the top.......the look on his face........as there is a separate prize for first up I took this to be a separate race and thats the first time I have beaten him in over 5 years image

• Is there a link to the xmas pud run i can send to my club? Dont think there is anything else that day And merthyr is doable from us. Can you enter on the day? 

• Camlo.....you used to be able to enter on the day.....but it has become so popular that it sells out in a few hours this yea....r.you can transfer numbers if you contact them

they can only accomodate 700