The 2014 Ironman Training thread

As some of usimage Have already started training for IM Nice i thought it would be good to reserect the old training thread

Dont matter what ironman your doing post in here, if you are new to this game this is the place to ask all those questions

Comments

• I biked 22 miles this morning on my weighs a ton Surly Steamroller and am planning a rare ( which WILL become a regular) trip to the pool for some swim action this evening

• image And so it begin's for anouther year. image

• I've rediscovered that I like running this month, I spent so much time on the bike this year for Wales, that I forgot how simple it was to just get out for a run with no garmin or watch, before all that structured training has to come back in

• I'm not IM'ing next year but i'm half IM'ing at the Vit, so will lurk in here as it always provides some good tips and what not image 

Happy training folks image

• I'm doing the Hardman in Ireland for a first crack at an IM... albeit a non branded IM.. hope they count too image

• Was supposed to start marathon training yesterday... looks like I've started with two rest days it seems. IM training starts in January image

• im doing my first tri this year - the half (non branded!) IM - the Avenger. 

planning on trying my first bit of front crawl pool swimming since i was about 10 on sunday.  eeek hope i dont drown.  or if i do that there is a lovely lifeguard to save me.  wish me luck!  image

• I too will be doing my first triathlon next year, hopefully a sprint and Oly before my IM on August 3rd - the Owler - which is 9 months today!!! image

The only thing that genuinely worries me is the swim, about 3 weeks ago I could swim 20m front crawl, I've had 3 out of 5 one to one lessons over these weeks and can now swim about 80-100m (with better technique). I've read plenty of posts on here about people who went from not even wanting to get in the water to an IM in 9 months and I'm beyond determined to do it - but it's still a big ask image

I'll be adapting Fink's programme and using that to train up to my IM, I'm very excited for next August. image

• 90 mins turbo for me!  image

• Flat Footed wrote (see)

I've rediscovered that I like running this month, I spent so much time on the bike this year for Wales, that I forgot how simple it was to just get out for a run with no garmin or watch, before all that structured training has to come back in

Getting all naked there FF!image

Outlaw, vit, possibly challenge Almere-Amsterdam and another HIM in May, not sure which one yet. I'm back to base training and swim technique.

• BKins branded/non branded a kills a kill, as long as you nail the distance thats it if anything small independent events are more in tune with the origins of Ironnan than the massive corporate behemoth that IM has become

stands back and waits for the first branded/non branded debate of 2014 and its still 2013image

• The pool was poolyimage Any semblance of swim technique/fitness has buggered  orf theres work to be done there for sureimage

• I'm in the fourth week of my modified Fink plan, for Lanza next year, my first IM.

As I had day off work today, and it was dry out on the roads, I took the TT bike out for a couple of hours. Not been outside on it since doing Oulton Park a couple of months back. It felt good and I managed to avg about 20mph over the two hours, so pretty pleased.

None of the jobs that the OH wanted doing got done though, but that wasn't in the Fink book.

• Oh, and I'm starting a paleo type eating plan from tomorrow, so expecting to feel like shit in training for the next couple of weeks. image

• Oooh we started official training for Austria yesterday image

Pudge, we've been doing Paleo for about four months.  The first week is tough but after that it gets much, much better.  

• Happychap wrote (see)

Oooh we started official training for Austria yesterday image

Pudge, we've been doing Paleo for about four months.  The first week is tough but after that it gets much, much better.  

Ah, that's reassuring! Thanks Happychap. Are you still using gels etc for your long sessions, or have you switched to alternatives?

• I ran at lunchtime today, it felt good!! But I did manage to leave my running gear at work, D'oh!!

Early start for cycling to work tomorrow morning!! Batteries for bike lights are currently charging!

Swim Thursday morning, gentle day on Friday as I have a Duathlon on Saturday!
  • after most of november off i have finally been cleared to start again. so three days of slow short runs, i am back.

Fatter and slower than i was but least the road to next year can begin

• A swim, a run and a bit of weights work in the gym yesterday, and bob's yer uncle... it's a Finking rest day today! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • My plans are all up in the air at the moment. I was hoping to do Embrunman but having looked at it, it just doesn't fit in with other plans so it's back to the drawing board for me. Potentially, it could be a revisit of the Forestman. Maybe Challenge Weymouth or Cotswold 226? Whatever happens, hopefully going long next year with a big bike focus at the moment.

• Aiming for Wales next year. Aiming to get out for a couple of runs later this week, and a swim or two to start working on technique. Also going to try to meet up with the local road riding club over the next couple of weeks to start building the distance up on the bike

• Pudge, no had no need to use gels or other substitutes at the mo.  cashews and dried apricots have been in the back pocket just in case but not had need to use them either.

haven't done anything really long (longest run 13 miles) Couple of hours ride at most. 

• Not been able to start training for 2014 yet, was hoping to bounce into it straight from Henley but my back still hasn't forgiven me to pushing on when I probably should have binned the race 10 miles into the bike course.

Been having physio and now seeing a chiropractor, its starting to show signs of improvement but will see how the next few weeks go. 

Lucky for me my main race is late in the year but I was hoping for a good solid winter.  At the moment its just very light training.

• Very light training might be just what you need for a change Barlos, work with the physio and the chiro  and get strong enough to resume training ...

• Unlucky Barlos, but if anyone can bounce back, you can. Have you considered witchcraft?image

• I've got IMUK next year.

Started doing some swimming intervals over past couple of weeks, and this week done a couple of 20 km rides followed by 3 km runs.

Will start proper regime in the New Year

Malc

• I have got IM Wales next year and Outlaw Half as my main events, with LCW thrown in.

Started building on strength and lost 2 stone on Paleo in the last four months, just hoping for another stone (but its going to be hard).  Just going to keep what I am doing until I go into full Fink programme in February.

Been to spin class this morning and off back to the gym this afternoon for sprints on the treadmill and some weights.

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Unlucky Barlos, but if anyone can bounce back, you can. Have you considered witchcraft?image

Would you recommend it?  Where would I find a witch?

• I see Challenge Mallorca is down as the European middle distance championships.. has anyone done it before? Its towards the end of October so should be plenty of recovery after a late August IM right? Assuming I've not fallen to pieces..

• Turbo for me yesterday.. hard enough session with about 10 others. Supposed to be going to the track for running tonight, but for some reason i've not recovered from the weekends 10k race yet! Rollers at home instead i think.