Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Son - you are right we must eat food soon :??)

Good advice Wardi,I have been free of them for about 6 months now :??)
  • Options

Been held up on the Team GB thread for ages, thanks Dan image

After a pitiful 114 miles in November I think I need to pull my finger out providing the next three weeks at work allow.

8.45 this morning with 2 w/u, 2 tempo, 2 recovery, 2 tempo, 0.45 recovery 

Splits 7:11, 7:20, 5:40, 5:49, 7:13, 7:13, 6:05, 6:06, 0.45 @ 8:37

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Postie - Nice one.  

I just did 9 total inc track at 8, 12, 16, 12, 800s at an intended just under the intended 85s pace.  Quite tough but achievable.  Feel much better and a lovely night for it.     

• Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

I did an 81 minute and an 82 minute half marathon either side of a 3h17 marathon in 2007, but it was the hottest day in history.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MM26 - whilst its easy enough to blag a half decent 1/2 mara off low miles, you need to put some miles in to run a sub3, probably more in the 40-50 mpw range at least. You roughly need to be in 1:23/4 shape to get under 3hrs, if you can get down towards 1:20 then you are looking under 2:55 and more towards 2:50.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

1:18 for me gave 2:55 repeated 6 months later as 1:19 & 2:55 but that was off 28 & 33mpw.  Low mileage, no speed work, poor quality.  I am sure there's untapped potential in there!  

My cousin I think did 1:25 for a 3:00:02 at Berlin (ouch) a few years ago. My brother did 1:22 for 3:05:34 but was held up in traffic at start and started too slow so was probably much closer to 3 in ability (off only 4 weeks dedicated long training). 

• Options

MM26, someone once told me half x 2 + 15 mins. Recently I ran 3.05 marathon and 1.25 half marathon, so that kind of fits, Macmillan calculates it at 2.59 but I think you need the training to be spot on, to be in line with those predictors. I'll be targeting a new half pb in the new year to give me confidence and belief that I can lower the full marathon pb

• Options

MM26,

I converted 1:21 HM to 2:52 M from Nov 12 to Apr 13.

This autumn I ran a 3:03 followed by a 1:18 2 months later!!

If you're endurance is good then I think 1:24 should equate to sub 3. Without good endurance then I would say that something like 1:22 would be needed for sub 3 but this really is guesswork.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice to see Gobi & JI surfacing again, though it sounds like Gobi's thighs are rubbing together a bit.  Cracking run at Perivale JI, I like the pre-race nutrition though I prefer beer with a curry - each to their own & all that.  I'm a Pathia man meself.

Welcome back to Postie as well.

The bench seems a bit full at the moment, hope you're all fighting fit soon chaps.

4.1m early doors + 7.2m with the club tonight.  Good weather for running presently. 

• Options
    Wardi - no probs, we're going to do it anyway.

Don't know what things are like in the miserable, money grabbing South but us hard up Mancunians will be doing a Parkrun on Xmas day (before returning home to cook our Tesco value large chickens and see if we've got more than a satsuma and bag of nuts in our stockings).

Yes, such is the milk of human kindness up here that some poor bastards are prepared to Marshall in freezing conditions on Jesuses big day.
  • Options

I converted 1.27 to 3.07, 1.26 to 3.03 and 1.23 to 2.59.

• Options

Cheers Wardi.  Was mixed with some diclophenac cos the old back was playing up so at mile 4 there was a disco in my stomach. 

I would agree with TR, around 1.23 for a sub3, roughly speaking of course.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

MM26 - as others have said, it depends! Based on the above and my observations, for someone with good endurance (e.g. TT), it's about 2xHM + 6 mins, and for those more built for speed, probably more like 2xHM + 15-20 mins. With the right training, 1:23 should be plenty.

postie - nice tempo there, good pace on the 2M sections.

Toro - nice pyramid, I like that session.

8x800 (approx) on a road loop with the club for me last night. I think it was marginally under 800m (probably about 775m, half slightly downhill, half slightly uphill), so you probably need to add 5s or so to these times, but they were 2:28, 2:22, 2:24, 2:23, 2:22, 2:23, 2:22, 2:15. A couple of people went off ridiculously fast on the last one, and I felt obliged to chase them down!

• Options

Ah, the old testosterone-fuelled final rep.  Nice speed Padams.

All right Jock!!  image

I'm not sure I'm 100% back to life yet but the chest has completely cleared up and I'm thinking of squeezing in a final semi-quality rowing session today.  It's really an excuse to try out a warm-up routine (I really am a bit of a newbie at all this malarkey) followed by a reasonable spell at target pace to see if I can gauge whether it's realistic or not.  My race on Saturday is 1.10pm so I'll be heading to Cardiff and back on the day.

In other news, I will be running two marathons next year!  One race, one pace.  Yep, in the spirit of doing things what was written on the tin, I'm one of the RW sub-3 pacers for VLM. All aboard the 2:59:00 train!  Choo woooo!!  Who's with me? image

• Options

We do indeed have a Parkrun on the golden paved streets down here on Xmas Day.  The cream off the top of the milk of human kindness down here means some rich bastards are prepared to Marshall in balmy conditions on Jesuses big day.  I for one, however, won't be partaking as I like to oversee Jeeves when he's preparing the Fortnum and Mason goose and putting the Dom Perignon on ice.

I heard on the news this morning of a serviceman being arrested after a 'suspicious device had been found in a house in Salford' - couldn't help but wonder if it wasn't an electric iron or push button telephone or maybe even some fruit and veg?

As you were.

• Options

Hi All, Haven't been on here in ages. I'm doing the Manchester Marathon and hoping to go sub 3. I ran 37.16 10k at the weekend so hoping will convert nicely to sub 3, I did this PB of just base training preparing for P&D plan.

MM26, I agree with Snell the key is building endurance not speed IMO. I'm using P&D 55 to 70 plan to try crack this, I'm doing Reading Half in March to see where I'm at.

• Options

hello sub 3 forum people.

Just thought I'd come say hello as I'm one of the final 3 in the Asics 26.2 competition.

Has anyone run Paris before? I've heard stories of cobbled streets.

If you would like to vote, I've created my own forum thread within Spring Marathons, with some more info about me or you can vote on this link

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-300-finalists.aspx

Merci!

• Options

pd33 - Hi!  Yes, I popped my sub-3 cherry at Paris in 2008.  There are some cobbles, but not many, and they're quite smooth. It's a very fast course, with only the mildest of undulations going through Bois de Vincennes just before halfway, and a couple (?) of underpasses following the Seine.  It's a bit more scenic than London, and very spectator friendly with Metro stops pretty much along the whole route. Only negative that springs to mind is the limited toilet facilities at the start, but there's always the gutter of the Champs Elysees.  image  Good luck!

• Options

CRAB - I LOL'd at that last post.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

I've done a parkrun every Christmas day since 2006.  Even set a PB in '08 which lasted almost three years.  Means I can delay the utter tedium of the most boring day of the year.  If it wasn't for the darts on the telly I'm not sure I could get through Christmas.

Humbug anyone???

• Options

I ran a Parkrun last Christmas Day and then went to work in the afternoon and it'll be the same this year.

nice one Phil, course sounds great, I imagine the weather will be fairly similar to London at that time of year too. Last time I went to Paris they had a heatwave and had put loads of sand along the river to create a mini-beach

• Options

Dan A - I'm with you! It's a long old day, especially when the good wife insists on getting up ealry & pretending she is a small child. P&D has me doing a 13 miler that day, i'm tempted to extend it.

• Options

Lev_ It really helps having a good group to train with, should hopefully have 3 of us going for ~2:30 in the marathon as well. Saw that from Ben Moreau, impressive time - recently found he went to my old school. Nice water running sessions and I'm sure it will help when training again - plenty of time until London anyway.

Last two decent steady runs (12.4 and 8.9 miles) Sunday/Monday and a shorter session yesterday of 2min/1km/2km/1km/2min with 75s recoveries - first run back in spikes after not using them last week (slightly sore ball of foot but fine now with a new pair of trainers, can see quite how worn the soles were now) and felt good, with the 1 and 2k reps the quickest I've done. 3 days of easy/v. easy running now.

• Options

OK then, to round off a stunning, unforgettable year, my final ambition of the year is to be the fastest* parkrunner on the sub-3 thread on xmas day.

*wava adjusted

• Options

Hello all, been checking in from time to time, but not posted in a while as life has taken over a bit the last few months!

pdavey33 - I can only echo what Philpub says about Paris, I ran last year as part of the Asics comp and thoroughly enjoyed the race. The weather was perfect last year, you couldn't have wished for better.

• Options
    pdavey33 wrote (see)

nice one Phil, course sounds great, I imagine the weather will be fairly similar to London at that time of year too.

In a way, yes, i.e. potentially changeable!  2008 was perfect - grey, still, and just a little chilly on the start line.  By late Sunday evening (my memory was getting hazy, to be fair!) it had turned even colder and we had a mini blizzard.

I definitely won't be parkrunning on Xmas Day.  We've got a family tradition of staying up the night before and having supper and opening pressies, getting to bed about 3am. I'll be out like a broken fairy light at 9am.

OK, so... "lightweight" rower weight limit: 75kg. My weight according to some heavy-duty digital scales at the gym, following two weeks of inactivity (and a small dollop of comfort eating): 74.6kg.  imageimage  Oops!  So, no need to get the silver foil-lined skipping outfit on just yet but I'd best keep a lid on things till the weekend.  At least the energy requirements for a sub-7 minute effort won't be great so I guess I'll be OK to just keep the food/carb volume low and stay active with some low-intensity calorie burning.  I've even banned afternoon chocolate for the rest of the week.

My lunchtime warm-up practise + session included a 1k effort in 3:21.0, which felt a bit harder than I would have liked. I'm definitely still getting over whatever I've got, so I'm sure I'll feel stronger on Saturday but 6:40 is looking ambitious. Will see how I feel during warm-up on the day but might be better off going out at something like 6:44 pace (1:41 split) and see how it feels.  F*cking cold!!!  Humbug please, Dan. image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Did 8 miles today :`0

I'm not sure I can run a single 3.21 km anymore

I shall as always be organising a parkrun on Christmas day before joining Dan for humbugs......
  • Options

Good day to you all. Very tempted by the idea Christmas Day parkrun if I can find one locally.

Interesting discussion re HM - M conversions. I converted a 1h27m half to my first Sub-3 (2.59) and then 1.25-2.57, 1.18-2.55 and 1h17m - 2h45m in subsequent years.

Had a great run last night - was hoping for something around 17.15 in the 5k and finished in 17.06 feeling pretty good all the way round (best time of the year by about 20s). I thought that would be enough to beat my rival clubmate but he produced a stormer coming in well under 17mins to leave me 3rd vet 40 in the league (no prize image)

Good to see Gobi making a return from the dark side.

3 takers so far on the strava group - come on Dids I know you're on there, I've been stalking you! http://app.strava.com/clubs/sub3