Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

And Happy Birthday too! 

• Matt 2 of us did the run out and back 5 mile on tow path fairly undulating but largely flat approx 200ft of climb mainly coming back image

I was able to do in the light today but we have been doing in the dark with head torch on easier in dark as you don't see the rises coming backimage

• Rob - that second half is faster than my 5M PB image Happy birthday you old fart! 

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Daniels book (at least partly because it is cheap enough to put on my Chrimbo list image).

SG - may well take you up on your offer.

Johnas - in a funny way it's reassuring to know your mileage has also taken a tumble, but that you are confident about Wokingham! I'm more confident in your performance than mine image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

happy bday Rob.  49 and pounding out that 10m progression...top top top work.

bus - the daniels book is worth a read and has full training plans for every distance from 800m to the mara. its made me think differently and a new approach to my training.  i have only done 1 day of it mind image 

• Cheers for the birthday wishes and I was pretty pleased with today's session roll on 2014 if I can stay injury free image

• Mmm, fillet steak!

I did cross check SGs 2mi reps with mine, then picked my jaw off the floor. hope you're ok for HX image

Dean I've seen a few people do reps on grass. Is this a resistance thing? I do like the randomness of XC, and as you say pacing goes out the window, it's just push push push from the get go.

Dachs - whilst it has its knockers here, the TVXC league is always a great prelude to a spring HM. You should get a few more under your belt. I find that racing every few weeks in the winter is a real boost.

Recover well Johnas and take it easy Bus.

I can't stand dogs. Don't see the point in them. Even worse when abroad , especially France as they shit everywhere and anywhere. Almost makes a run into XC or MT.

19km tonight at 4:39/km.

• Nice session (again) Rob, you're hitting some great 'road runner' sessions. Did you train like this in your 1500 - 5K focus training of 1-2 years ago? Or is this a new approach? And yes, like Bus, you broke my 5mile PB with the 2nd half split!

Track session of 6min, 4 x 60s, 4min, 4 x 60s, 2min, 4 x 60s. Was tough in places but hit tempo -2s per lap for the long reps and was doing 300m for the 60s. Nice to run fast again, although not particularly easily.

• These road sessions replacing track as felt it was track causing issues with calf!! I'm trying to do roughly same weekly milage but with the progressive on a Tue and Fartlek  on a Thursday!! Also want to run a faster 10k next year and feel 5k will sort itself out as I naturally have speed need to improve strength image

• All sounds good to me! Any 10K races in mind? Trafford, Manchester?

How do you structure your Fartlek sessions? I've only ever done a few. When I read up they seem to be unstructured where you run to feel. But I definitely need to be told when to run hard and when to go easy.

• Last week we did 2 mile WU, 7 mile 1min on/ 1 min off we covered the 7 mile in 39.51 or 5.41 pace then 2 mile WD next week we are doing 2 on /1 off and will vary each week if that makes sense!

• That must have been a right headache for 7 miles! Did you run the 1min 'on' to a set pace or just 'hard?' Was the off min easy or steady? Sorry for all the questions!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The one minute off was about 6 min miling if I remember right! image 

• Stevie as Matt said off min was approx 6 min pace min on around 5.15 pace (or hard)

you are welcome to join us we start at 5.30ish in Chester 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    robT wrote (see)

Stevie as Matt said off min was approx 6 min pace min on around 5.15 pace (or hard)

you are welcome to join us we start at 5.30ish in Chester 

Rob, I imagine that Stevie like most of us on the thread, has had to have a lie down to weigh up the implications of that request.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rob - at that pace, presumably you finish at 6:30ish on Anglesey? image

Happy belated birthday, and good to see you seem to be in great shape.

Iron - I do want to get to some of the TVXC races, but for various reasons won't be able to make any before the new year - December always turns out to be a very difficult month with family and social stuff going on.  I am definitely not turning my nose up at TVXC!

Dean - the comments about placing yourself well in XC do strike a chord now I think about it - and that's precisely what I didn't do at the weekend.  I thought I'd start steady - and then ended up running the whole thing at that pace, even if I tried to increase it.  Re practising on grass, I am trying to do that consistently over winter.  I shall go out in a couple of hours and do some XC reps as part of that.  I shall probably turn my ankle.

• Nice reps Rob. Pacey. Happy birthday too!

SS - I always do my fartleks as 1 min on/1min off.. usually about 400m pace for the 1min.

Weights session for me this morning! Front & back Squats, lunges, deadlifts and some core work. Going to try and not run all day...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One minute on, one minute off.

This is one session that I used to do as a mindless exercise in flooding my system with lactic acid.

Basically flat out each time and forget the distance. The usual result was over 350m with the first run and about 100m less with the last. Ten reps was all I could muster before my legs turned to jelly.

Now days I'd think about doing that session, think about it a bit more and then stop thinking about it and go and do something else.

🙂

• Are Fartleks supposed to be more random? Otherwise it is an interval set surely? Wikipedia (font of all knowledge and truth) suggests:

"The variable intensity and continuous nature of the exercise places stress on both the aerobic and anaerobic systems. It differs from traditional interval training in that it is unstructured; intensity and/or speed varies, as the athlete wishes"

RicF wrote (see)
    Now days I'd think about doing that session, think about it a bit more and then stop thinking about it and go and do something else.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

400m pace!

Went up to my cross country training course for a session of 10 x 3 minutes off 90 second recoveries.  Didn't worry about pace too much, rather around 5m effort, but anytime I checked it seemed to be about 5:40mm pace - not too surprising given that it was proper XC fare.  Tried to muller the downhills in the way that proper XC runners do.

Didn't sprain, break or twist anything, so that's a positive.

• Dachs wrote (see)

400m pace!

Um, yes, wouldn't that be like actually doing a 400m race over and over and over again with only 1 minute's rest in between?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Have to report that the ankle has improved beyond all expectations. Seems to have stopped hurting overnight.

I'll take that as a good omen and retire immediately.

To partake in a massive gin and tonic.

🙂

• literatin wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

400m pace!

Um, yes, wouldn't that be like actually doing a 400m race over and over and over again with only 1 minute's rest in between?

literatin wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

400m pace!

literatin wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

400m pace!

For you maybe! image 

• Rob... at those paces I'd be doing 1min 3K pace with 1min at tempo for recovery... No thanks! image

• Stevie the group I do it with is increasing in numbers and we expect 2 groups to develop so if the pace sounds wrong for you at first you would slot into the second group absolutely no problem image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    robT wrote (see)

Stevie the group I do it with is increasing in numbers and we expect 2 groups to develop so if the pace sounds wrong for you at first you would slot into the second group absolutely no problem image

Of course, if that doesn't work out, there's a third group.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/broomwagon.jpg

🙂

• 6.5m for my today at a horrendous pace due to the horrendous wind. Feeling a bit ansey about the lack of running!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

the wind has been horrendous up my way today too. Was going to sack the track session off but fortunately the wind died in the late afternoon. Joined my old club for the session. 6 x 800 off 1 min. All bang on 2.30 apart from a 2.27 on the 3rd rep. Felt really good. 

did a tempo on Tuesday and that's 42 miles in the last 4 days. 

• Nice reps Matt. Just think of it as resistance training SR!

6x800 off 90s here with a 2:54 target. 2:50, 2:53, 2:55, 2:54, 2:54, 2:55. Last rep is normally bang on. Manageably hard, even with the wind image.

I need to find a decent local running group.

• Good session that Matt (as usual image)

Scraped in a double today - 2 x 5.5M xc. My first double for several weeks now (not ideal doing a double, but fits in with my commute). Both at very easy pace, and both went OK, though the groin pain started to come on in the last mile of the second one. Slighty disappointing, as the issue is obviously still there, but on the plus side I'm at least managing to get shorter runs in. Missed the worst of the weather too, luckily!

I won't be doing the Bradenham race on Saturday though, and the planned 10k for Sunday would be pointless!

Seb - have you had the MRI scan yet?

• Take it easy Bus. Can you cycle in/run out & vice-versa?