Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Peter you can keep the weather forecasted for your place.

I do not bike commute or run commute because I keep going to different places at the moment and need to carry a rucksack full of work bits with no room for anything else. I would consider it if more practical and a bit closer.

• PITH, fab comment, "I don't like running in a blizzard".

Up there, a blizzard ain't 2.54cm of light flurry and gone by schools started.

However, I think Surrey hills on the bike will give most UK lumpy bits a run for their money.

Steady, as soon as I can turn pedals again in moderate safety (not flaming out) and with even vague competence, I will be doing a ride. If I can get back to any standard again, I will be doing the beginners guide to Surrey Hills again and ideally my new route to help out some IMFer's training (Siggy, are you reading?)

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Yeah tbh MC it's probably going to end up being 4 days but will give it a bash so to speak image

Cake that could happen image

imageimage I know was talking to caz about it at the weekend. mmmuuuaaaarrrr!!!!! image

Yippee!!!!!! Snow is on the way. image I've got my winter clothes all ready and need to wash the mud of my mud claws so let's bring it on! image

• blinkin' heckers, it's cold up here.  The paths were really icy and where they weren't it was wet, slimey leaves.  So I cut short my run.  Which was a good thing as my ankles hurt, I think it was the odd way I was running, I was expecting the slip with each step.

I hate the snow.

• Good training and planning going on.

I have been cycling to work this week, I work all over the place in Warwickshire so its been a bit varied, one of the reasons is my van has failed its MOT but not the main reason............image

• I hate snow too, cold slippy and hate driving to work and home in it - the roads round here don't get gritted very well and I feel like I am taking my life in my hands

well, rest day for me today because I am tired - bad night's sleep again, was thinking of gym after work but just don't have the energy - so healthy tea and an early night and tomorrow I am running early whether I sleep or not I will be the grumpiest teach ever at parents evening - it is bad enough I am going to miss my swim session because of parents eveningimage

• MC, I know what you mean about being grumpy.

I have run. Tonight the session consisted of a warm up walk for 5 minutes followed by run for 2, walk for 1. I know that is not exactly what the schedule stated but as I did not run last week apart from the little Santa Dash I did not want to overdo it. It felt good and no aches until the last 5 minutes or so.

Onwards and upwards.

• I have run too 30 mins z2 after my commute felt okay nothing exciting.  Had lab christmas lunch - felt a bit stuffed afterwards image

+1 Onwards and upwards ladies and gents image

• I have not run, biked or swum  image

• razor - hope you are ok

buttercup and steady - well done on your runs

I want a new job

• All OK Razor and MC?

Swim for me this morning, turbo for me this evening, steadily building that base....

• Run 5K this morning, was a bit windy, probably last nights curry image

Hope your OK Razor, nice runs Buttercup and Steady, get a new job Maths image

Beanpole, I am toying with going down the Turbo path, worried that I'd get bored too quickly as I have a very low attention span, oooh bikkies.......

• run this morning

JP - I have a turbo and all the sufferfest videos, don't get bored using those, I do otherwise though!

Going to start looking for jobs after xmas

• calling Pete - hope everything is OK for you up there, stay safe.

Same for everyone else, take it easy and be careful.

• Ran 9 miles last night so a rest day for me today (thankfully). I really hate running in the wind, can deal with any other weather but wind is just plain horrid.

Hope everyone that is training tonight stays safe.

• Nice one Lisa

Pete it's looking a bit dodgy your end tonight hope your safe and in front of the fire with a cuppa.

• mathschick wrote (see)

I hate snow too, cold slippy and hate driving to work and home in it - the roads round here don't get gritted very well and I feel like I am taking my life in my hands

well, rest day for me today because I am tired - bad night's sleep again, was thinking of gym after work but just don't have the energy - so healthy tea and an early night and tomorrow I am running early whether I sleep or not I will be the grumpiest teach ever at parents evening - it is bad enough I am going to miss my swim session because of parents eveningimage

I know what you mean MC - I ran myself in to the ground last term due to PM observations of me, of other people and parents evenings until half nine. Six weeks off so far and still not 100% well let alone fit!

Been rather off my game everyone hence no posts sorry - hope I'm allowed back in image

• Off training that is not off school!

• Emma where the dicken's have you been image glad to see you back kid hows tricks?

• Thanks Cake!!!! image

I did some tris over the Summer (first ones May and June). Then I got a bit crazy when I went back to school; entered an open water tri and bought a wetsuit within about half an hour on line! Did Eton Dorney sprint at end of September and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! Can't wait till next season.

But ... since then not so good. Chest infection, urine infection twice (made me go completely doolally) and horrid virus. Doc thinks it is Glandular Fever image so haven't swum or cycled at all and only managing the odd 2-4 mile plod for last week or so and nothing before that!

How are you?

What's been happening?

Sorry to disappear for so long!!!!!

• Emma - sorry to heaar you haven't been well. The whole observations thing at school now is getting stupid - they are doing it like ofsted now at our school and not telling us when we are going to be observed, hence mega stress the whole time

had a really long parents evening, just got home....

• Hi gang,

Not been feeling too good of late, finished my anti biotics and my chest seems to be ok but I've been on anti inflammatories for my arthritis in my hands and elbows and it's a large dose (1600 mg) per day and making me feel like sh!t, hopefully when I get used to them I should be feeling better.

Well done everyone for getting out there.
  • Oh no MC! We have 2 week blocks when we could be observed at any time. Three session per year and on top of that any number of random 'non judgemental' (My ar**) drop ins. It's why I ran myself in to the ground. I also have to do the observations so lose all my free's as well as potentially being observed. In the week before half term on the Monday had a full teaching day, break duty and an after school meeting, on the Tuesday I was observed, on the Wednesday parents evening until 9:30 and then observed in my free on Thursday giving feedback at lunch! Arghhhh! I'm sure the best way to get the most out of teacher is not to try and crush them!

Well done - you've done it - and you know all the parents will really have appreciated it. I know how much it means to me as a parent (except that my boys are not achieving what they are capable of! Probably because I am too busy looking after other people's children!)

I do absolutely love teaching - its the other stuff that spoils it!

Did you know Dear Mr Gove wants more rote learning like Korea and China - isn't that where children have been killing themselves in shame when they are reprimanded at school?!!!!!

Now breath and have a glass of wine xxx

• Oh no Razor - thinking of you! Antibiotics have really horrid side effects too!

• Emma - yeah, I know what you are saying. Yes, in China the kids are so stressed there is a high suicide rate. The kids stay after school for 3 hours every night doing extra work on their own, totally different culture

• Razor, take it easy on your come back.

Emma, If they thought glandular fever, beware, I know of someone similar, young just into teaching, pushed their body too much when unwell and ended up with ME for years and had to give up work and was housebound for over a year, could not do a thing. Now many years later is better but has to pace herself.

I have been to spin class again and I know I worked hard tonight as the sweat was running off me.

Hope Pete and others are OK with the bad weather about.

• Thanks CJ! I'm having to take it easy- don't want glandular fever as it took me 6 months to get over worst of it! Will you be doing east grin stead again? X

• Mc - as a mum that thought is horrific! Got to go and squeeze my pumpkins now! Bless them.

rest up you!

• Emma, yes, entered already for East Grinstead. Hoping to be faster by May.

• I've heard about the suicide rates too, the pressure on the kids must be unbelievable and entirely wrong.

Well done on the spin Steady.

Swim this morning for me, quite happy with myself at the moment, 6 x 100m this morning and felt I could have done more, 5 weeks ago I couldn't FC 25m before my first few swimming lessons.

Parkrun tomorrow image