Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• I am hoping so to Eggy. Winds of mega speed, with hail, thunder and lightening. If they do  send me out I may end up in Norway.......

Stay safe Eggy. And everyone else. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Take care everyone. I really want to see you all in Paris image

• As part of new motivation and better work/life balance, I've planned to run from my office to the hotel/office party tomorrow ~13 miles along a canal, how lovely is that? Not so lovely if the wind doesn't drop, but I'll have earned my glass of mulled wine!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

ArrowsLou - Do you know the canal path? Is it lit? I shall impart some of my hard earned wisdom. Be careful. I've been warned about running along my local canal because most of them are unlit and the ground is not normally the best. It could also be that the path is too narrow for my dog not to be able to chase the ducks IN the canal...

13 miles sounds lovely though image Do we all need to run to enjoy a glass of mulled wine? I think I'll need to run a marathon this weekend to warrant how much i'll be drinking on Saturday evening image

• Thanks for the advice on my training plan guys.

I went out for a 6 miler last night (plan says rest day) and ended up running 10 miles in exactly 1 hr 30 mins as felt great so just kept running.

Hands were frozen and a certain appendage looked like a walnut whip at the end, but everything else fine. 

Going to re-look at the Thursday run and up the miles on that and try and fit in an extra three 20+ runs as per your feedback.

Just trying to balance not killing myself in training but also wanting to be on the start line 'knowing' I can complete without walking, given its my first time. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

KS - when you have an odd moniker (Case in point: mine) it's often best to trying to Jingle-fy it by fitting it into a Xmas-y phrase.

"Gold, Frankinsense and KeyserSuze", "Rocking around the KeyserSuze" etc

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    DefenderKen wrote (see)

Hands were frozen and a certain appendage looked like a walnut whip at the end, but everything else fine. 

Thank you for that imagery... image

• Hi Emmy - the plan also involves leaving work after lunch so I can run it in daylight! I run on canal paths a lot at home, but don't know this one, however, one of the guys at work recommended it and is sending me his garmin route and I'll carry my smartphone, headtorch and emergency provisions, plus hubbie will be at venue with the car if I get stuck and want a lift, so I think I have it all covered. We've got XC on Sunday, so no other opportunity for a long run this weekend.

• I'm lucky to be able to train today. 5 relatively quick miles for a "hangover run" to try to clear the head. I need coffee and greasy food and i need it soon. Last night i ran from the pub (slightly tipsy) at 11.50pm over a mile to get to a bus stop that goes right near my house. It seemed like a good idea at the time and i made the bus (it was the last bus). Thankfully didn't get pulled over by the rozzas, but if you'd been in the Marylebone area last night you might have seen a strange hooded man hacking along like i was being chased.  i was on the p155 with Radar Sal, Yermaj, Running Rodent and Pottermoss. I heard a rumour that one of aformentioned might have fallen asleep on a train and ended up in the middle of nowhere in the early hours iof this morning. In the olden days thats more like Jimbob behavior .....

• Good morning good people. Stay safe people in that wind don't take any risks you don't need to.

Emmy - with the amount of miles you do you could probably drink a pub dry and still have earned more.

I will be doing 5 miles tonight then off to boxercise with the gf as she does want to go alone oh well I need to do some toning up and get rid of the homer belly.

Has anyone used the garmin forerunner x10 I no it's the cheaper one but can't afford the very expensive ones and want to know if it's reliable I currently use nike plus but it drains my battery on my phone and not sure how accurate it is
  • RR - I think the battery life is rated at up to 10 hrs in training mode and 6 weeks in watch mode.

i had not mentioned the Recovery feature. About a mile or so into a run it tells you how well you have recovered since your last run, and at the end if a run it tells you how long to rest before your next run.  Interesting, but will likely be ignored as I have a schedule to keep!

• Aaron, for an extra few quid the garmin forerunner 110 is a much better purchase. The 10 is not good. My friend bought one for this year's Paris, it stopped working half way round. I got my 110 for 115 quid with the heart rate monitor

•  

Jimbob all the way wrote (see)

I'm lucky to be able to train today. 5 relatively quick miles for a "hangover run" to try to clear the head. I need coffee and greasy food and i need it soon. Last night i ran from the pub (slightly tipsy) at 11.50pm over a mile to get to a bus stop that goes right near my house. It seemed like a good idea at the time and i made the bus (it was the last bus). Thankfully didn't get pulled over by the rozzas, but if you'd been in the Marylebone area last night you might have seen a strange hooded man hacking along like i was being chased.  i was on the p155 with Radar Sal, Yermaj, Running Rodent and Pottermoss. I heard a rumour that one of aformentioned might have fallen asleep on a train and ended up in the middle of nowhere in the early hours iof this morning. In the olden days thats more like Jimbob behavior .....

Wasn't me!

Yeah, I can't think of a new name for this year.image

• Thanks jimbob I will have a look where did you get yours from?
  • The wind here on Isle of Maus is like nothing I've ever experienced. Hope the Caledonian Massive are all safe.

I was going to run today, but I think I'll opt for something indoors instead.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 110. It's OK. But very basic. And I'd recommend upgrading to the soft strap for more accurate HR data. My polar watch had many disadvantages, but it did give accurate heartrate info.

I've used TD's 310 and it is easier to use, easier to read, get's satellite reception more quickly, and has the option of setting displays for lap times, and variable speed over certain distances. I'd buy one in a heartbeat (get it, get it!) if I had the cash. Just can't justify it at the moment.

If you care about looks, yes, the 310 is a bit larger. But the 110 is hardly a fashion statement either...

• Deliveries have not been cancelled......... and its h£ll out there. struggling to stay upright let alone walk. image

• Blimey Kaz! That's a bit grim. Take care, honey.

• Thanx MM. I am spending an awful lot of time sheltering!image

• Well wishes to the windy lot, wrap up and be careful X

We Wish You A Merry Orbutt wrote (see)

KS - when you have an odd moniker (Case in point: mine) it's often best to trying to Jingle-fy it by fitting it into a Xmas-y phrase.

"Gold, Frankinsense and KeyserSuze", "Rocking around the KeyserSuze" etc

Excellent pointers, thanks Orbutt. Will need to get me thinking cap on...

• Thanks jimbob I will try and get that one. Ks look after yourself work can be done another day they can't force you to do it if it's dangerous. I'm in North London and the winds picking up here don't thinks it's anything like there though take care.
  • Aaron - what part of North London are you in? Thats my stomping ground!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    It s snowing....horizontally.
  • I am in holloway it's where I work. You?
  • FFS (Lol)  - i grew up in Tufnell Park - now i'm Finchley - had to move out further afield as the price of real estate is too expensive round my way! I'm a regular at the Gunners - born and bred dirty gooner and proud! a lot of my runs involve the heath.

and work up the road in Camden!

• Ahhh really I work just off Camden road near the prison often take my client down into Camden. Also a massive gooner but have only Ben to the emirates a few times too expensive can't get season ticket. I haven't run around here much but the Heath is very hilly isn't it? I like flat ground with occasional hills when there unavoidable haha
  • ahhh - them hampstead hills'll put hairs on yer chest! For a training run, i reccomend you jog down smelly camden road - up parkway (where Runners need is-good running shop) and onto regents Park - 2 laps of the outer circle is about 5.5-6 miles - its a good place to do intervals, there are lots of runners lapping the outer circle and its also lovely inside the park to take in a couple of extra miiles. We're organsiing a little bimble round the park in a couple of weeks - i'll give you details if you want to join us

...... and i'm planning to put Scoot through his paces!

• That sounds like quite a nice run from where I work it's straight down the hill and round to the park. I'd love the details of when you are going to run if I'm about I will come down. My favourite hill is high gate hill I see people running up that everyday on my way home and want to stop and ask if the want a lift they must have very chests haha
  • Euuurrrrrgggghhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

That is all.

Liking that I've been away for a couple of days and seem to have gained a shiny new reputation as a demented, axe wielding psycho though image

• Mennania wrote (see)

TD - I guess all guides inc VDOT and all training programmes (Hadd, Daniels,P&D)are one hat fits all and not individual specific so not 100% but that's what I like about running, there's always options to suit you and your lifestyle. Glad the injections are working

Run no 2 d&d. Gentle recovery tomorrow

Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)

ArrowsLou - Do you know the canal path? Is it lit? I shall impart some of my hard earned wisdom. Be careful. I've been warned about running along my local canal because most of them are unlit and the ground is not normally the best. It could also be that the path is too narrow for my dog not to be able to chase the ducks IN the canal...

Emmy - I'd avoid going near any canals where you live tmrw - they are forecasting the highest tides in 30 years up around Antwerpen, some flooding expected. They reckon the problem will be at it's worst between 5am-6am. Currently all fine weather wise here. As is often the case, we get left over weather from the UK a day to a few hours later so the current pleasant conditions will be blown away.

None of this will affect my session in the gym tonight on the flippy flappy machine*. Going to do an intervals equivalent session.

*Maus calls it an 'Elliptical trainer'. image