Dear Runners World Scrutineers

With one change to my computer settings I can vote multiple times for any number of candidates.

I've been very careful to add the same number of votes to each candidate while I tried this out, but I wonder if all voters share my sense of fair play and equal competition?

And if, on the off chance, there is someone busily clicking away to bump up their preferred candidate, will you be able to sort duplicate votes from genuine ones?

Comments

• they did send us an email to say multiple votes from a single computer would not be counted.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Im not sure how much any votes from the forum will make. There seems to be no correlation between interacting on here and the total votes in some cases.
  • at the same time can you please explain that whilst there were a several women in the bootcamp for sub 3 you didn't choose one at all.......so the winner has to be male.

and also if you are going for men and a clever male abuses the voting system then it could mean we are left with 5 men.and no women.......

• Perhaps they weren't suitable? Would it be better if they left out a deserving man and lobbed in a token woman who didn't seem to have the right attitude they wanted?

Of course if they were sexist in their approach then I agree that is wrong.

• they only saw them all for a few hours....not really enough time to assess suitability.........and then if they weren't suitable then I'm sure that there is an acceptable reason..

• Have you got a faulty full stop key?image

• No.....just a faulty brain image

• Hi guys.

The voting system was set up to encourage as much support as possible from the running community and we believe it will offer the best reflection of support for the finalists.  Last year's final decisions were made by judges, this year we wanted the decision to be made by the voting public.

We will of course be monitoring it and believe the competition is being embraced in the spirit intended.  

As for the final choices for sub 3, these guys were picked by our experts based on what they saw at bootcamp and how people responded to the day. It has nothing to do with the sex of the runners, simply if they fit the criteria that the experts were looking for. 

Thanks. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Ben,

are you saying that voting is the be all and end all then? If that is the case it doesn't reflect the views of runners - it's just a reflection of who has most contacts. 

• Tbh the more friends you have on Facebook the more votes you will get people will be drumming up there mates from the pub and school. It doesnt matter if they are runners or not 

Get 1000 how many of them will be from this forum?

Not many I bet all you have to do is look at the site 

Only members should be able to vote not any bod in the street

Ben RW this system wont work because its open to abuse

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I agree that the votes should come from forum members and magazine subscribers.

It looks as though 90% of the votes are coming from Facebook or twitter contacts so just get rid of it from the forum as its just clogging everything up.
  • I find it funny how so many of the threads asking for votes have died away anyway ....... quite sad. I dunno, maybe its just me, I kinda didnt mind them ....... I mean how many times can you read 'I lack motivation, motivate me' threads? At least this was something different ....

• I agree with millsy1977 and goldbeetle...the votes should just come from forum members Or readers of the mag if they timed the issue with the start of voting

• well I'm sure that the 1000 of people who vote for the winner will all contribute to their thread.....

• seren nos wrote (see)

well I'm sure that the 1000 of people who vote for the winner will all contribute to their thread.....

Ouch , youre quite bitter about this whole thing arent you?

Tell me, who is your favourite person in there? who would you hope gets a place?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    When I looked at the voting earlier, there was one entrant that had well over a thousand votes (around double what the others had) but haven't even seen their thread yet.
  • Mr I.

I am not bitter at all. I get involved every year.

and some people have great threads that are brilliant to read.and some can hardly bother to log on and the threads almost die making it impossible for anyone else to follow the journey with them.......

and why be bitter because we have our own forum 6 that works at the same time which is a mixture of regular posters and some of those newbies that have shown an enthusiasm in their posting........you should try for that one Mr I.you might be able to knock a chunk of your marathon time with some structured training

• It's all just a popularity contet if you ask me image

• Mr Puffy - As a finalist in this competition Its a shame to think that the voting system may be so easily manipulated, more so this year where the votes decide the winner.

as Maxs mum has already pointed out, we were sent an email informing us that multiple votes would only be counted as one.  I don't know how this will be managed if the final count changes the finalists finishing position come the end of voting.

• Well cause I know we have our sleuths on here, if anyone is interested, this is the company actually running the competition.

https://polldaddy.com/

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Saying that they'll discount multiple votes gives them a get out to do what they want!

Brilliantimage

• Seren, are there forum 6 threads for all groups or just a general one? - though having said that I now get the impression its possibly a different thing altogether?

• The whole set up is wrong because it doesnt matter how many of the Forum members vote it will be all outside votes that count

500 facebook mates 500  votes doesnt matter if your a runner or not

I think RW have ballsed this up good and proper. Not only is it unfair it excludes the members of this forum once again from proper input into what was meant to be a forum driven competition.

• Ben, as I said on the other thread, why not keep the competition off the forum and confine it to Facebook or Twitter?

Once the votes have been cast you can set up a thread (or threads) to encourage the winners to participate in the forums.

This method just creates bad feeling - it's not good for the entrants or the regulars. I don't blame people for wanting to take part, get coaching and a load of free stuff but I don't see why a bunch of strangers should have to make their case to us or why we should necessarily be interested in them.

Either that or confine both entry and voting to forum members with more than, say, 30 posts, and subscribers.

I don't think you can have it both ways.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've read elsewhere that the voting system is open to abuse because you can vote from the same computer multiple times. It's also not hard to move/get a new IP address.

I agree that this should be forum decided. There are people on the short list that say: i dont like putting myself out there, dont like social media, dont like forums. HOW do you expect them to contribute and bring new blood to the forum if they cant even maintain a promo thread?

• goldbeetle wrote (see)

The whole set up is wrong because it doesnt matter how many of the Forum members vote it will be all outside votes that count

500 facebook mates 500  votes doesnt matter if your a runner or not

I think RW have ballsed this up good and proper. Not only is it unfair it excludes the members of this forum once again from proper input into what was meant to be a forum driven competition.

The set up is exactly what the sponsors want - it's exposure to those 500 Facebook mates they're after, not forumites who see it all the time anyway.   RW restricting voting is simply not going to happen.

• Right: so keep it off the forum until after the votes have been cast then.

Post a link to the comp on Facebook for anyone that's interested and leave it at that.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    +1 for the above comment.
  • Im not sure I really agree with all the regulars on here ...... ok slightly annoying some of the similar thread titles begging for support, but to be honest, we know its only till Tuesday (apparently) and at least its a little different to the 'Its cold outside and I lack motivation' threads on here.

I dont know, its kind of like a breeze of fresh air these threads, plus lets be honest, once the voting has stopped 90% of the people asking for our votes will disappear anyway (a bit like recruitment agents who are nice as pie to you when they are gettign you into a job, then once you're there you never hear from them again, even though they are taking a 15% cut of your money simply for forwarding a CV. Nice work if you can get it)