Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Cheers Iron. I can do, but it gets slightly complicated and requires leaving the bike at work overnight, which is ok for the commuting machine, but I wouldn't want to leave the road bike there. I'm not entirely convinced there is a huge recovery advantage in doing an evening then early morning run compared to morning then evening either.

What I did a couple of times before Abo was cycle/train in, then train/run home, then the next day cycle the whole way in and back on the road bike, then do a long run in and pick the old bike up for the train/cycle home.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    No Bus, decided not to bother yet, think Ric is probably right, tendon/ligament damage. Still prognosis isn't good for that type of injury in that area. Given up worrying about getting back to running now, although rather gutted I'm going to miss our home XC league race tomorrow. But Suffolk county champs Xc early Jan is still a target race. Getting better maybe 5%/day. Been swimming and its OK, difficult to get a hard enough workout though.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Iron - those rep times would fit in nicely with a decent group at RRR on a Wednesday evening if you're looking.  You would have to join second claim after a couple of sessions though, but we aren't the most expensive club.

• Seb - if you want to push intensity on the swim then have you done any interval sessions? 400m warm up then 8 x 100m off 2 minutes (more or less depending how quick you are) followed by 400 warm down is a good lunchtime session. Another is to do pyramids 50, 100, 200, 400, 200, 100, 50. Like running the key is to mix up sessions and push it on some swims. Sure IronCat15 could provide much better sessions for the pool.

• Thanks for the suggestion Dachs. I've looked at the local 'usual suspects' but hadn't considered RRR; probably due to the distance. Not that far away really.

Seb - depends what you class as a good workout and what your swimming background is and what your aim is - aerobic/anaerobic or just something to do.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seb, for what its worth, when I had that injury/condition I limped about for weeks. One day my brother and me went fishing. It was absolutely freezing and the ground was iron hard with frost.

While limping across a frozen field with ever increasing numb feet, my injured foot accidentally dropped either side of a frozen clod. I felt an almighty crack in the foot and thought I'd really messed it up. 

Since my feet were numb with cold I expected to find out how bad the damage was later.

Later I found that the pain had completely disappeared.  

Conclusion, it must have been a 'hooked up' ligament. Manipulation could be the answer.

🙂

• Can't get my mind round area XC champs. The county champs is Sat Jan 4th over 11.2 km in Luton (Bedfordshire! I run for Bucks) and then the southern champs is Sat 25th Jan at Parliament Hill over 15km and the National XC is Sat 22nd Feb in Nottingham.

I would normally try and do all 3 but it just looks like a lot of travelling to do races at inconvenient times (why have a XC race at 1pm, that isn't morning nor afternoon) that take out the whole Saturday.

Last few days have been slow. I can't decide if I was ill or tired or both but definitely need a day off tomorrow before racing Sunday. I have not had a day off since Sandhurst and have run 113 miles since then in 12 days. Means I need to honour the rest days in P&D.

• Nice 800s guys.

6.5km of intervals for me today.. 4 x 400m off 100m at 10kish pace, came out at 94,89,91,91 - 400m rec - then 4 x 400m off 200m faster at 85, 85, 87, 88 then 4 x 200m at 40s.. so slow!!

Off to Paris tomorrow, so looking forward to an easy early morning one exactly 9 months post running the marathon there! This week will end on 46miles. About 15miles less than normal... Hurumph.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nikki, nothing wrong with an easier week once in a while. 

PMJ, agreed, there are a lot of various XC championships. I'll probably just do the Berkshire champs. Obviously i'd do the inter counties if picked, but thats not happening unless theres some kind of pandemic.

11 tonight, including a 10k tempo - 35:29 for the tempo, which is 5:43 pace, so looks like the pace is starting to come back looking towards Wokingham.

• Blimey Dachs - just drop in a 10k tempo, some 46 secs faster than my PB in training why don't you image. I think you can say the pace is coming back...

Nikki - your next big week will be all the better for this (relatively!) small one.

2 x 14M for me on the bike today, but lack of anything properly long either running or on the bike is seeing the pounds pile on - and that's before Christmas image

I know what you mean about Swimming Seb. That said, it does keep you ticking over and keeps any pressure off the foot. Do you use a bike at all? Not quite the same as running, but you can certainly get some aerobic work done.

• Parkrun this morning on a whim. My first race (sorry, timed run) since Abo. Given the lack of proper training for the past 7 weeks, persistent injuries and a stinking cold this week, I was pretty pleased to manage a sub 19 for 2nd place. Even had a bit of a battle with the eventual winner - overtook him 5 times, but he pushed back every time and I blinked first! Groin strain held up OK - mild discomfort afterwards is all. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good parkrunning Bus, shame it'll have been overshadowed by the big ne at Gunnersbury today though image

Should you be doing parkruns though?

• Possibly not Dachs, though speed doesn't seem to affect it as much as distance, so used today as a sociable speed session rather than a full on race effort.

I'm on tenterhooks for the Gunnersbury resultsimage

• Nice work Bus. Impressive tempo Dachs.

In light of the Gunnersbury result my parkrun pales in to insignificance.However the entire family PB'd at Woodley and Dach's advice paid off big time with hefty accelerations out of every single one of the 4000 corners on the course. In true Samir style I fumbled the Garmin buttons as I crossed the line, so hoping for a better time than I saw.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thought that might have been you as I watched from my window Iron, you looked like you were going well. Well done! Far too many 90 degree (or worse) twists, aren't there. 

I did 16 laps of that park last weekend. Jesus...

• No SG here today, are we allowed to tease about football?

Manchester United slumped to their second home Premier League defeat in the space of four days as Yohan Cabaye's goal gave Newcastle a first league victory at Old Trafford since 1972.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers phil!  I had avoided the score all day then I come on here...image....to be fair I guessed it wasn't going well by the amount of texts I was getting at full time.  Is SG at the match?  Hopefully we looked better in real life than this form suggests.

any racers tomorrow?

congrats ironcats family on a mass set of Pbs

• XC tomorrow at handy Cross which is my local one: only about 4 or 5 miles away. Proper XC course, mostly up and down and the flats are not really flat as they are on hill sides. Tactic is a fast start as people just can't make up many places if they are back in the pack after the first mile or so.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Parkrun this morning on a whim. My first race (sorry, timed run) since Abo. Given the lack of proper training for the past 7 weeks, persistent injuries and a stinking cold this week, I was pretty pleased to manage a sub 19 for 2nd place. Even had a bit of a battle with the eventual winner - overtook him 5 times, but he pushed back every time and I blinked first! Groin strain held up OK - mild discomfort afterwards is all. 

Had a look at the results and the first finisher was the same guy I chased round last week and I don't quite think I overtook him 5 times: probably 3.  Reckon he owes me and bus a few pints for getting his PB down 2 weeks in a row. Be interesting to see if he comes out and plays with the big boys one day in a proper race.

• Indeed! I am looking forward to the re-match when fully fit!   

• Good luck at Bradenham today-SG, Philip and Iron all racing?

• The Bus wrote (see)

Indeed! I am looking forward to the re-match when fully fit!   

Not sure I will beat him.  I sort the results by age grading and yesterday you also came 2nd age graded behind Tamsin with 75.11% to her 78.22% and first finisher in 4th 71.48%.  Last week I was 3rd behind 2 ladies with 75.87% and he was 7th with 71.35%.

If we look at equivalents, then 71.48% for me is a leisurely 20.18 and if he runs at 75.87% then he needs to run 17:44.

Bottom line is he is 10 years younger and that is a hell of an advantage. WAVA I beat him at a jog: head to head it will be hard.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Good luck at Bradenham today-SG, Philip and Iron all racing?

I am racing, can't comment on SG. Also apparently I am not allowed to mention any sort of sports news on here so can't say did you see that historic day at the Ashes yesterday! Am I allowed to say Mandela has died? image

I thought he was older than me until I saw the results! I even teased him after saying I thought that as and old bloke he'd crumble if I kept putting the pressure on! He did say that one more acceleration and he'd have crumbled though...

As for the 10 year advantage, don't give up just yet!  I'm running faster than I was at his age and there are still plenty of guys 10 years old than us that are faster than us image

Right, off to try and see if the groin will cope with something more than 5 miles max now.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You are talking about Mandela aren't you Bus?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

FFS! Phil,  Mandela is dead?  You could have broke that softer!   and tell me are still smashing those Aussies around in the ashes ?    image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Who cares about the ashes? at the end of the day, even if England lose 5-0, their victors will still be 'only Australians'.

🙂

Which parkrun was it Bus?

Good day at XC. Starts with a thin downhill so lined up near the front. PMJ and Sprint went past me before we hit the end of the track. Maintained a strong push and managed the uphills. I'd forgotten how hard HX course is, man alive!

Wheels came off the wagon about 2km before the end, though the 2 team-mates that sped past told me I'd been slowing down for a km or so already. Finished as 3rd Coaster some 3:50 ahead of last year. image