Shoe size

I was once told that you should buy running shoes one size bigger than your actual show size. Is this the case? I'm a size 9 and tried a size 9 and 10 sketchers go run 2. The 10 was way too big and the 9's jjust right. Should I have got the 10's?

Comments

• It varies from brand to brand - others will know how how this shoe matches up with normal shoe sizes.  If 10 was way too big, as you say, then 9s are probably ok.

The issue is that a slightly bigger shoe allows for foot expansion during your run.  I run in Brooks that a size bigger than my normal shoe.  They're probably marginally too big for me (I need to lace carefullly), but I wouldn't want to take a full size smaller.

• Not too certain, but some makes half sizes. I bought Mizino wave insire they come in half sizes nice trainer, used to have New Balance 

• While running shoes need more space at the end than a conventional shoe, their sizing reflects this fact, so you generaly won't need to go up a size. 

• it it such a varied thing......I am normally a 7 yet in my running shoes .( I wear quite thick socks as welll ).I wear a 9 in womens asics and 8 and a half in mens......they feel a little big when walking but as soon as i start running they feel comfortable.never blister or have problems with toenails etc..

• I've always run in asics and they are exactly the same as my normal shoes. 

Dont have any problems with them so they must be like others have said and cater for extra room

• or maybe my feet sweat and swell quickly when running........I get very hot running and run in shorts and t-shirt in winter..so maybe my feet getting hot and swelling is why i need bigger sizings than normalimage

• I have Asics, at least 1, more like 2 sizes bigger than most of my normal shoes and still have black toe nails. But like the trainers, guess I should try even bigger but worried I will keep tripping over them even more then I do now! 

• Don't just go up a size or half-size for the sake of it.

Just get a shoe, in whatever size, which allows plenty of wiggle run up front. Start at your normal size and only work upwards if you need to.

I saw someone take a horrendous tumble at a Parkrun because they were in new shoes that were far too big for them.

• As seren nos I am a size to size and half larger than normal shoes. I run in Nikes womens Triax and have done for a few years, initially in a 7 but now 7.5 perfect fit, what hour for model changes as sizes vary too within brands.

elastic laces also help keep shoe secure but allow room to expand with heat.

• Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

While running shoes need more space at the end than a conventional shoe, their sizing reflects this fact, so you generaly won't need to go up a size. 

You've certainly a lot more experience than most of us on this. But I'm surprised by your answer. I thought there was general agreement that most running shoe brands/styles fit better if a little bigger than a day-to-day shoe.  Indeed, I think I've seen complex tables, showing 'equivalent' fits for a wide range of running shoe make/models.

• Thanks all for your replies. The size 10's had about an inch between my toes and the end of the shoe, the nine has about half an inch. they're comfortable, I just wasn't sure if the one size bigger was a 'rule' or not.

cheers

• I have tried the sketchers, they come up huge compared to most other shoes! I normally go up a full size in mosbe running shoe brands but was able to go down half a size in thee sketchers!

they actually have some in tk maxx for £30 at the moment!

• I've just seen this, I found the sketchers quite narrow but pretty long...which is perfect for my feet, but may not be for yours...this is probably a couple of months too late to matter. 

Incidentally, I have just chucked my pair out after 10 months of running in them. Really liked them, initially I didn't think I'd do more than the odd 5k in them, but they were nice. I reviewed them here over the 10 months I had them rather than just a review after a few hours like normal. 

• Red Stripe wrote (see)

elastic laces also help keep shoe secure but allow room to expand with heat.

This is what I was going to say. And you have the added bonus of never having to tie or untie your laces

Don't use them in cross country season though unless you want to lose a shoe in the middle of a boggy patch

• I wear the same size as my normal shoes in all brands apart from Adidas. There's no substitute for getting them on your feet and trying them. Don't go on what other people tell you. If you ever go anywhere that says they don't make the 1/2 sizes then I'd take your wallet elsewhere.

• Adidas and also New Balance seem to need an extra 1/2 when you order.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The last thing I want is my feet flapping about in an over size shoe. Not only is it one way to get blisters, its also incredibly inefficient as regards propulsion. 

🙂

• I can't comment on all brands, but I'm usually a 5.5 in most normal shoes, a 6.5 in Asics, 6.5 in New Balance and a 7 in Brooks (they do apparently run small).  My first pair of running shoes were bought online, they were Asics size 6 and absolutely fine while I was doing C25K - as soon as I started doing more than 4 miles, I started getting sore toes.  The current 6.5 are spot-on!

• Adidas always seem to require you to be at least one size bigger. While I get Ric F's point, at the same time, I have the black toes to prove that going one size bigger can be beneficialimage

• Chappers wrote (see)

Adidas and also New Balance seem to need an extra 1/2 when you order.

I think this is because the way they translate the UK and US sizes. My size in running shoes is normally UK 11, which in most cases equals US 12. But in Adidas and NB a UK 11½ equals US 12. Because of this I always go for the US size when I order online.

• The real Mr I wrote (see)

Adidas always seem to require you to be at least one size bigger.

Adidas got their sizing wrong many years ago, and decided that they were right and the rest of the world was wrong.  A person who takes a 9 in Nike, will consistently be a 9.5 in Adidas.  There is no industry convention for what a size 9 shoe is, but there is an industry convention for what a size 9 foot is.  The foot measuring device has been standardised since 1928.