Bare foot running

Started bare foot running about a month ago, I was thinking about getting some Vff or the new gel skins, though i'm concerned about feet sweating and slipping inside

Comments

• Unless normal shoes are giving you recurring problems - don't bother. It's just an expensive fad.
  • I wonder if my barefoot running shoes would work well with my Event Clips?

• I run barefoot but the biggest problem for me is how to fix numbers to my vest without using safety clips. Can anyone help me?

• From all those other threads mike has started I'm sure there's a thread for such a thing somewhere ? 

• Grow up Muttley and The real Mr I

You are showing your true colours

Hi Mike,   welcome to spiteful RW forum.   There are some right nasty bullies on here, especially screamy who thinks she owns the place,and The real Mr I, who is barred and keeps coming back with a  new name. They use duel avatars so you'll never beat them.  

Take care 

• Cougie, please ignore these immature comments from Muttley and The real Mr I they have been banned from this site before and change their names.

I  find it a totally different running experience and come back invigorated or at least my feet do.

• Muttley hasnt been banned from this site???

If nothing else, you certainly have an interesting business approach on how to deal with the public.

• Grow up Muttley...have you been bare foot running? if not leave the discussion

• well for a start, the term barefoot running is totally misleading. Unless you are running without footwear, then you are just one of us.

• Um - if you're going to repeat a defamatory comment about me at least have the decency to do it on a thread I've actually posted on.

I'm not bad-mouthing you around the forum am I? I'm engaging you directly.

• careful for plantir facilitis, i got that after switching to barefoot shoes too fast - if you want to change something your body has done for the majority of your life then always do it slowly.

check some youtube videos and see if it sounds the same. it was fairly easy for me to fix myself with a bit of patience, some rollers for my Achilles tendon and foot, and lots of stretching every day (even when not running)
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    All this talk of injury and problems arising from running barefoot or with VFF does make me wonder if it's worth the hassle and risk?
    I like the idea but is the reality really practical?
    Just asking.
  • Mike - like many people I originally ran with a heelstrike and with my foot landing in front of me. I found that when I upped the distances and tried to train for a marathon then I was constantly chasing minor injuries around my legs, and was in physio just about every week. Most long runs resulted in me limping home. It got to the point where I had to either forget about marathons or find a way to avoid these injuries.

I made a conscious effort to adapt my running style - realistically now I land on my midfoot but this happens underneath my hips and with a much faster cadence than I used to have. Net result for me is no significant injuries since, despite running further each year (this year will be over 2000 miles). Not saying it's for everyone, but it worked for me. It was hard work to begin with, and I did wrestle with PF and sore calves initially. But in the long term, I'm glad I persevered, and if I try to now revert to the way I used to run it feels clumsy and heavy-footed.

I don't wear "barefoot" shoes (if this isn't a contradiction of terms), in fact I prefer reasonable padding, e.g.- Nike Pegasus for training in. But I don't need masses of cushioning and find that although I now prefer less heel drop (less cushioning to get in the way), lots of minimalist shoes also have less cushioning in the fore / mid-foot, which I don't like.

So what worked for me was to adopt some of the principles of barefoot running, but to continue using shoes which offered some cushioning and protection. I could run on barefeet if I wanted to (I've tried) but it's so much comfier and safer to wear decent shoes.

Don't try to fix something if it's not broken, but if you want to switch to more of a barefoot style, go for it, but allow plenty of time to adapt. But I personally don't really see the need to go for super-thin soles, etc. - especially if you've only been running this way for a short while.

Just my 2p-worth, but hope it's helpful.

• I used to run barefoot (and I don't count 'barefoot shoes' as barefoot). Did the GNR twice barefoot - the only problem was the bottle caps. I could run over broken glass and thorns ok but those damn bottle caps!

Forget forcing a particular foot/stride pattern, your feet will adopt what is required. Running downhill is different from running up - you need to let your legs bend a lot more and barefoot downhill on tarmac is hard on the knees.