Should I go to the doctors for my knee?

Hi, I am looking for some advice as I am not sure whether or not to go to the doctors about my knee. (sorry for the long story)
 About a month ago when I got my PB on a Saturday park run my knee felt kinda funny while walking back to the car. It then continued on and off to not feel quite right for a while sometimes it was a sort of dull ache as I ran. However over the past few days the pain has been really bad, I have not ran this week as I can barely walk and I have been applying ice packs regularly and lying down when I am at home.
 My knee sometimes gives out during the day which causes a lot of pain so I took painkillers and the walk back from school the past couple of days has been agonizing and I have even had to stop a couple of times. However it seems to be slightly better right now but it always feel betters when I am resting.
 I tried to get an appointment at the doctors as soon as possible but the most recent they could give me was next Tuesday. They said if its an emergency I can call at 8:00 in the morning and get an appointment for 11:00. It somehow doesn't feel right calling it an emergency especially in the morning as it feels fine until the day progresses. What would you do?

Extra note: I looked it up online and I seem to have all the symptoms of PFPS.

Comments

• Go to the doc. Sounds severe enough to me.
  • Unless your GP has an interest in running/ sports injuries, you may find they can't give much advice other than rest, anti inflamatories, and may offer referral to orthopaedics or physio, or simply tell you not to run.

You might be better to try a sports physio first/ as well, as they may be able to give more concrete running -orientated advice- or they may take one look and suggest a GP appointment!

Good luck.

• tricialitt is right - you take time out to go and see your doc and he'll say go and see someone who can help, which is no (physical)help to you at all.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks it's most likely a duck...

• Best go to the doc rather than a therapist.  The doc will refer your to a lower limb consultant  who will know much more any physio.  The knee is too important to mess around with. I know to my cost - physical and financial-  that Sports physios are of limited effectiveness - one told me to run on a stress fracture.

• SR unlikely he told you to run on a stress fracture, more likely did not diagnose the SF image

Doctors and referrals are all very well but a reputable sports physio will be quicker

• Meldy,

But much more likely to make a wrong diagnosis.  A consultant will order a test done to find out what exactly is wrong.  A sports physio will try and wing it and continue to do so in the face of evidence to the contrary.   A consultant will use evidence based treatments, there is very little evidence for most physio therapy.

• Thanks for all the advice everyone, in the end I couldnt go to the doctors in the morning due to other other commitments. However I booked the nearest appointment which is tuesday. So I will go to that and then If i receive no good advice I will leave it for a bit and then maybe see a physio.

On anoher note just yesterday and today I have been using a knee compression sleeve, is this the correct thing to do? Thanks again.

• tricialitt wrote (see)

Unless your GP has an interest in running/ sports injuries, you may find they can't give much advice other than rest, anti inflamatories, and may offer referral to orthopaedics or physio, or simply tell you not to run.

You might be better to try a sports physio first/ as well, as they may be able to give more concrete running -orientated advice- or they may take one look and suggest a GP appointment!

Good luck.

I just picked the nearest possible appointment so got a random doctor but apparently he plays rugby so although not running specific hopefully he has some sport injury knowledge.

• So I went to the doctors today. He said that the underside of my kneecap had become really rough and the equivalent of sandpaper so my knee is inflamed. He told me I have to rest it for 2 months or I could take 6 anti-inflammatory tablets a day and run a couple of times a week but he said that would most likely cause stoumach complications and potentially ulcers.
     The doctor was good and understood why I didn't want to rest but I am already feeling depressed at the prospect of not running for 2 months and losing all my fitness and training.

• What about cycling or swimming to keep the fitness level up? Aqua jogging perhaps?

• Swimming will help you stay in shape while having less impact on your knee. You should also be treating with cold therapy during down days and after workouts. The cold therapy will fight the inflammation and you wont need as many anti-inflammatories. Its the best solution to avoid the stomach problems. http://www.kingbrand.com/Knee-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=39PV3

• see a physio to get some leg strengthening excercises, there may be a way of taping the knee to alter the patellar tracking, don't give up at this stage. Good luck.

• Bing KCS wrote (see)

Swimming will help you stay in shape while having less impact on your knee. You should also be treating with cold therapy during down days and after workouts. The cold therapy will fight the inflammation and you wont need as many anti-inflammatories. Its the best solution to avoid the stomach problems. http://www.kingbrand.com/Knee-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=39PV3

Thanks for the advice, I talked to the doctor and he said swimming was fine. So I have tried to do that every weekend but I can't go everyday. I feel like I am suffering withdrawal symptoms here image