My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Hi, this is the beginning of my journey. The first steps toward my goal of the so far elusive sub 3.00 hour marathon. I am trying to tread carefully, listen to the advice of the expert team and be more aware, conscious and cognitive, cos usually I am like a bull in a china shop. Charge out and run without the thought or necessary planning and reflection. I have completely messed up my taper twice and my pacing twice. All that training, 55 mile weeks only to stumble at the last hurdle. This time will be different. Watch this space......

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good luck! Will watch your journey with interest as I too would like to run a sub 3 hour marathon - but that ain't ever gonna happen! 

• Thanks Minni ill do my best. I am abut of a newbee to forums so please forgive my lack of forum etiquette. I am a fast learner.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Roger - massive congratulations on making the final 5. I'll be looking for hints and tips too as you are the speedster of the group.

Look forward to meeting you properly on Saturday.

Minni wrote (see)

Good luck! Will watch your journey with interest as I too would like to run a sub 3 hour marathon - but that ain't ever gonna happen! 

I have a large sum of money sitting with Ladbrokes that says otherwise so get your finger out!image

• Hi Roger.  Congratulations on making the Paris 5!  I am looking forward to seeing your paln, purely out of curiosity, to see what it takes to run at such a ridiculous pace for such a long time!

I am sure you are fed up with people stating that you should smash the 3 hour mark with your previous form, but like everyone else it is about getting to be as fast as you can whether that is sub 3, 2.45 or even faster?!

• Congratulations Roger!

Look forward to following your journey!! One day I might be sub-3 ... one day!!! image

• Runnyrunrun. Thanks. I wish you luck on achieving that challenge
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Roger - congratulations on getting through!

Last years Sub 3er AW was in the same position having struggled to get under the magic mark. He told me your shorter distance times are quicker than his were before he followed Steve Smythe's coaching and he smashed 3 hours (2:53 I think, but he can correct me if I'm wrong). 

Good luck - I will be following and supporting you all the wayimage

• Hi Roger,

First off congratulations and good luck with the coming months of training! 

DS2 - Yes thats right, 5k was only 18.28 (I did run 18.04 in the time trial at bootcamp though) and 10k was 37.58. I was quicker over HM though. I made big jumps with Steve's help and training. 

• Hi Guys, great to have you on board. This is going to be great fun. I did read the articles about last years 26.2 and watched some vids. I'll have to go back and catch up again. Thanks for the support.
  • Morning roger, congrats on getting through. will look forward to following your journey. Might put sub 3 on my Xmas list for 2016... In my dreams.

See you Sat.

J

• Thanks James, always good to have big dreams;) see you Saturday
  • Hey Roger, congrats on being picked for the asics 26.2. I am doing London and will be interested to see what your training looks like. I did try and follow A.W's lat year but it didn't really happen! How many miles do you in a normal week at the moment? It would be interesting to see what base mileage you're starting from. I really want to break the 3 hour barrier but I have to shave off 3 minutes not just the one like you! Good luck for the coming months!
  • Hi Stan, First of all good luck, I am sure 3 minutes isn't too much if you put in the time, I am coming from a fairly good level of fitness, off the back of the Man v mountain, a tough 20 mile (actually turned out to be 23 according to my Garmin) adventure race up and down Mt Snowdon in September. I have kept up shorter stuff usually 1-2 10 mile runs at 7.00 - 715 pace, I started doing some cross-training in the form of 20-30 mile off road mountain bike rides to break it up a bit, 2- 3 of those a week, a bit of cross country races and mens health (oops I allowed to mention a competitors mag) 10k obstacle race at battersea. I love to race and the coaches will probably tell me I do too many races! I tend to do a hard interval session with a sub 3 group on a Wednesday night with my running club, this is usually 10-11+ miles of demanding intervals that build in the lead up to the marathon,tough but fun. This may all change after Saturday, I will keep you posted

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Enjoy today Roger! Looking forward to reading all about it!

• Thanks DS2, I am really looking forward to it.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Just saw a Roger Read finish the London survival event on channel 4. Would that have been you?

• Congratulations Roger. I'll follow with interest since I'm also gunning for sub 3, but at London rather than Paris. Our PBs are very similar, except for 5k where you absolutely whoop my ass! 

• How did yesterday go Roger, hope you had a good day at store day and a good meet with Steve? Whats the outline for the coming months training?

• Roger is now hopefully all kitted out. We briefly went through his training in coming months which will largely be based on RW's sub-3 schedule. Roger's work causes a few adjustments and the club session he likes to do on Wednesday also causes a few scheduling problems.  

Roger's 5km speed is excellent and suggests sub-3 should be very achievable but his half-marathon, while sufficient for sub-3 doesn't suggest so much in hand but hopefully that HM PB can be reduced in the build up.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Steve - when will the plan be up? Secondly, how is your own training going. Are you planning another assault on another Sub 3 this year?

• Congratulations and good luck Roger. I'm sure you know by now Steve is an excellent coach and mentor. I'm interested on how you get on as I have a sneaky eye on a sub 3 time too (did 3.04 this year) and I am the same age as you 44. Although your shorter distance times are a bit quicker than me I think we are equal in age.

Hi Steve - From an age point of view, is cracking a sub 3 time for the first time harder at the age of 44 than say having done it a few times before at a younger age? Can it be more of a mental challenge, than a physical challenge. Forgive my maths but isn't a 3.01 time under 7 minute mileing - surely that is a psychological barrier in itself?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Really interested in seeing the sub 3 plan. I managed to get myself from 3.07 to 2.58 this year and my PBs over the shorter distance were not as fast as yours Roger. With all the support you will get I rekon you will succeed.
  • That's a good reduction Millsy, did you increase the weekly mileage?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yes, went from 5 runs at about 40 miles a week to 6 runs at just over 50. Main difference was a mid week long run and more 20+ milers.
  • Well done and good luck for the training ahead, Roger! Much like many of the others, I'm eager to see the plan. Having narrowly missed out on breaking 3hrs in my debut marathon in Paris this year (missed it by 28 seconds!), I'm gearing up for another crack in 2014 - this time in London.

Judging by your times over shorter distances Roger, you must stand a really good chance - just as long as you can stay injury free and are able to get enough 20+ runs under your belt.

• Hi guys, herfire the first 4 weeks; enjoy

WEEK ONE (approx 37-41M)
    Mon 5M easy (miles) (approx 8:00 miles in 40 mins)
    Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 5 x 800m at approx 10k pace (3:00) with 400m jog in three minutes , then 1M jog
    Wed 6M steady (approx 7:30 miles in 45 mins)
    Thu 5M with middle 3M at marathon pace (sub 7s – rest 8s) approx 37 mins
    Fri 4M easy (approx 8:00 miles or 32 mins) or rest
    Sat 5M inc hill session or circuit
    Sun 10M easy (approx 8:00 miles in 80 mins)
      WEEK TWO (approx 41-45M)
    Mon 5M easy (approx 8:00 miles in 40 mins)
    Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 16 x 200m at mile/5k speed(sub 6 minute miling), with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 7M steady (approx 7:30 miles in 52 mins)
    Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (sub 6:30s) then 1M jog (approx 36 mins in total
    Sat Parkrun or 40 mins fartlek (speed play) (approx 5M)
    Sun 13M easy (approx 8:00 miles in 1:45)
      WEEK THREE (approx 46-50M)
    Tue 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 6:00) fast, with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 8M steady (approx 7:30 miles in 60 mins)
    Thu 6M progression run – starting at 8s and each mile faster with last two miles inside 7s.
    Sat 5M inc Hill session or circuit or cross-country race
    Sun 15M steady (approx 7:30 miles in 1:52)
      WEEK FOUR (approx 49-53M)
    Tue 8M of 1M jog, then 7 x 1000m at 10km speed (approx 3:45) fast with 200m (1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 9M easy (approx 8:00 miles or 72 mins)
    Thu 7M alternating 8 and 7 minute miles each mile(approx 53 mins)
    Sat 4M steady with some faster strides
    Sun 16M in
  • Great effort millsy, ouch cookbox, 28seconds, 1second per mile!!

health and happiness

• Knightrider so far Steve has been great, this plan has me running a lot more often, shorter distances and slower than I am used to, similar mileage per week though. Steve has got me putt doing my long runs the day before the big Wednesday night intervals, these too have been chopped, no rest days.i am going with it though, he is the expert, I was just winging it before

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nice looking plan. Reasonably similar to mine in its structure although your long runs are about 1 min/ mile faster than I was doing them.

What was the reasoning behind that? Or are they going of an expected time a bit lower than 2.59.59?
  • Thanks for posting up your first 4 weeks Roger - Looks a good plan. How did you get on tonight (I assume your plan starts today?). For your 800 reps etc, have you got a track nearby that you can use?