Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

And so it begins....

Here is my Journey To Paris thread. Everything that happens between now and the 6th April will be documented here. Well, almost everything - there will be a few private matters that I will keep to myself but the majority, I'd say at least 96.4%, I will share with you here.

There will be highs and lows I'm sure. No doubt a bit of burning or chafing and maybe the odd tear or two as well. It won't be easy but together we'll get through it. And hopefully at the end of it, gleaming in the Paris sunshine, will be that most coveted of possessions, a sub 3:30 marathon time!

Now, let the games begin...

Comments

• Good luck Malcs - cannot wait. I'm so damned excited to meet everyone on Saturday and have a good natter.

As the slowest of the group I look forward to reading everyone else's training logs.

Gareth

• Good luck Malcs, this is gonna be good!

• Congratulations. I'm doing Brighton, also on the 6th, which will be my first marathon. I shall follow with interest.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck Malcs! That damned 3.30 was my nemesis for a good couple of years. I spent a year going about it the wrong way and then a year doing things the right way. Looking forward to seeing you doing it the right way.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Here we go.... image 

• yipppeeeee, so exciting image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs - it was a pleasure being part of your marathon last year and you did so well. There's so much more to come and I don't think it'll be long before you reach that ultimate goal. Believe me, once you get the training right you'll wonder how it felt so hard before. Your coach is in for a real treat working with you and I can't wait for you to get going. Go blast it!  

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

image its going to be a great few months. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gareth - Ha ha image Try and stay calm, still a few days to go! 

You've got the hardest job of all because you're out on the course the longest. It's really hard being on your feet that long. I have no doubt you'll do it though!

Mr P - many thanks, I hope so!

Poo Diamonds - fantastic! What are your current PB's? Are you going for sub 3:30 too?

Millsy1977 - ooh, fantastic. Please do share any tips, what were you doing wrong?

Minni - you are far too kind. I really appreciate all the help I've had from you this year. Couldn't have progressed without you.

Jen - yeah baby! image

• I thought about buying a cheap seat for the ride but Ive upgraded Malcs image 

I am looking forward to this buddy, gooooood luck!!!  

114 days. Countdown commence!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Tim, that's great to know! 

114 - blimey, doesn't sound like much when you say that....gulp!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Oh I should mention that I've been asked to change my avatar to my competition photo while the training is going on. So I have carefully folded my previous skin and packed it away for safe keeping. It will be back!

• Congratulations Malcs.  If your thread is half as good as those from last year you will be in for an interesting time and we will be in for an entertaining one!

• I am one of those silent lurkers... Bet you have lots of them image I have read your posts since last year and loved your spirit and support of Shady Ady  so I voted for you. I am v pleased you won. Behave, I'll be lurking....... Hope the running is as fun as it can be.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Malcs, my main mistake was trying to bash out all my long runs too fast. All I had in my head was 3.30 = 8 min miles so nearly every run was that speed. Looking back the lack of variation was shocking.

I'll fill you in on the rest as your journey progresses.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Xyloid - many thanks! Last year's guys smashed the roof off. It'll be incredibly hard to match their commitment in both their running and their reporting on these forums and elsewhere. I promise to try my best though. Hopefully that will be enough.

h vavoom - everyone loves a silent lurker, so long as it's forums we're talking about and not something elseimage

I certainly had many silent lurkers during the voting stage (and not always silent either) - man that was stressful! image

Thanks for the vote - really appreciate it. Re. last year, you're very kind though I think there were times when Ady wished I would just go away. I'm sure I was inches away from a restraining order!

Running is always fun! image

Millsy1977 - yes, I've made that error too! That seems to be one of the classics yet everyone falls for it. Hey, if you have more tips maybe there's a book to be had out of this? I'll push it through the forums and Twitter - we can split the royalties. Deal?

• Malcs as I only dip in and out the forum, some of the regulars scare me a little, can you also post the main points on twitter.

Then I can come on this thread and add my thoughts of encouragement or not as the case may be.

Oh by the way congratulations, glad the 200 or so votes I managed to cast helped!

• Do us proud Malcs - I'm sure you will put everything (kitchen sink and anything else to hand) into it!

• Malcs - it will be great to follow your progress and a real motivation to know that you are setting the benchmark for what needs to be done to get that time (and if I don't...well, we are all different!). Above all, I hope you have fun and can relax a bit too.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Twitter - @MalcBarbour

Reg - good point about twitter, details above if you want to follow. I will be using it but the forums will be my main port of call as 140 characters are nowhere near enough for the amount of waffling I do image

By 200 votes you of course mean from your office co-workers after your pom pom dance I hope!

KR - thanks! I still remember watching the video of you lot from Paris 2012. Sends shivers down the spine. Can't think what it does to you!

Yes, I have every kitchen appliance ready to be lobbed at this one!

ArrowsLou - thank you, it would be great to have you along for the ride!

• Hi Malcs

Looking forward to keeping tabs on your progress and having a good look at your sub 3:30 training plan.

Im sure you'll achieve your goal and through this thread im hoping to pick up a few tips along the way.

• Congratulations Malcs i will enjoy following your journey over the coming months 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Marcus - many thanks indeed. I hope we can help each other along. Maybe you can give me some tips on how to run so damn quickly!

StewartC - cheers muchly! Would be great to have you on board image

• Hi Malcs, congratulations and my best wishes for your journey.

I'll follow along and hope to use your experience later on in the year, plan to go sub 3:30, but will have to wait until injury fixed...  image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Congratulations.Have fun at the asics day.What shoes do you run in at the moment 

• Morning Malcs,

thanks for your welcome and a huge congratulations to you!  I am looking forward to picking your brains on Saturday. Be ready!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Chimney - thank you! Sorry to hear about the injury, what's the problem and are you seeing someone about it? 

Seren - thanks very much indeed! Rather conveniently I'm using Asics Gel Nimbus. This footwear choice had nothing to do with my selection for the voting stage! How about you, what's your weapon of choice?

James - no problem at all. Looking forward to it too!

• Good morning Malcs! Wow, you're very own shiny brand new thread image!

Last night was the longest period I have 'off' stalking the forum and the asics winners, due to the obligatory x'mas night out image. It was a fantastic night, when I ended up walking home with christmas tree decorations on my ears and streamers around me, after being wrapped up in christmas wrapping paper!

So happy to wake up to your thread starting, you'll be my secret to getting my next PB! Go Malcs, Go! image

• Congratulations once again Malcs!  Looking forward to following your thread and picking up some tips about getting that 3:30 marathon time (no pressure, but I'm pretty sure you're going to knock that out of the ball park).

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sticky - ha image Hope the hangover is not too bad!

Sounds like a very interesting night, did you fall into the Christmas tree?

Tiny Runner - many thanks! Oooh, I really hope you're right about that. I know I've got very close already but I don't really want to just scrape under 3:30. My longer term aim (hopefully not too much longer) is to get a VLM GFA time so I need to make a decent jump towards that.