Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sean - do it. You know you want to!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, the joys of playing for a small club. I think the only shirts I haven't worn before is 4,5,8 or 9.

The weekend before my first ever marathon I got the call off our captain to bring my kit as we might be short. I was hoping to be just be stuck out on the wing and not get to involved. I ended up having to play at fly-half. Not what I really wanted 8 days before my first race.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sean - DO IT! You know it makes sense image

Chimney - wow, every position! I've played everywhere in the backs and once at lock (they were truly desperate) but never ever entered into the dark realm of the front row! Respect!

Ha ha image I'm sure you're not the only person here to have ignored doctor's orders. Not sure I would have ignored them on that occasion though. Sounds damn painful. How the hell did you manage to carry on?

Do I take it you are from the land of Wales? 

Heart rate is ok now thanks but it's had to come down from quite a height. Did you watch the final votes coming in? It was scary!

I think we all realise that this is a major privilege. Yes, the goodies are indeed great but to have a team of pros of this calibre looking after you is just immense. 

Speaking of the team, I'm extremely excited to say that I know who my coach will be. None other than the amazing Steve Smythe! How fantastic is that?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Two posts while I was composing that last one image

Millsy - that is commitment playing 8 days before a race! Mental of course but your loyalty can't be questioned.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image can't wait to see what Steve has in store for you. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Excellent Malcs! He'll get the best out of you!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Looking back on it, it was a really stupid thing to do. Especially considering the amount of money spent on hotels, Eurostar etc for the race.
  • Steve Smythe, you lucky, lucky fellow. 

No, not Welsh. I was doing Snowdonia mara. The reason I didn't pull out is because at the top I ran into someone I hadn't seen since 1984! Spent the next hour chatting until I just couldn't go at even that pace.

I absolutely love the front row, it's a great craic. Spent most of the last ten years hooking. Oh, and I'm 5'7" and 12 stone, which is probably why my neck and shoulders are truly buggered. Who would want to get cold hanging around with the fairies eh?image 

A few years back we had a coach trip to our furthest game, I woke on the Sunday morning with a full fry up shoved under my nose by the landlord of the last pub, got picked up by the wife and deposited at the start of White Horse HM. Not my best ever race! 

Happy days image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni, DS2 - thanks, I'm very excited, and a tiny bit scared image

Millsy - blimey, it was overseas? That was crazy. We weren't expecting another schoolboy error until tomorrow!image

Chimney - lol excellent race prep! image  Ha ha, "fairies". If you play in the front row you can call us whatever names you like, you earned it IMHO!

I am indeed very lucky to have Steve but if it's anything like last year, Steve should be here on this thread from time to time so you'll have access to him too. Last year he was incredibly giving of his time answering any questions put to him. So was Sam and all the rest of the team. 

• I really should make my posts shorter

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough I actually smashed the race.

Next schoolboy error tomorrow.
  • He's obviously chosen wisely Malcs image. will you be publishing your plan or do you have to keep it private?

I got my London ball rolling tonight with our club hill night but it was hard work! I stayed at the back between the efforts  but I tried to keep it consistent and felt good at the end.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice going Mr P!!!

Malcs - I'd be a little scared as well. Really excited for you, thoughimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - ha ha, yes of course he has image 

Yes, the plan will be up for all to see. I'll get it on here straight away.

Nice hill session!

DS2 - thanks! image

• Wow! - looks like this is going to be a lively forum.  No rugby anecdotes from me unfortunately.

Mara programme starts properly on Monday - I've had a bit of an easy week this week after Bedford half on Sunday.  Managed just under 91mins, but wasn't really happy with that - found it hard going.

• Malcs you appear to have inadvertently (or deliberately) created a sidekick to your  thread. People will be will be tuning in for a daily dose of  Millsy1977 as well as your good self. This will be like a 4 month long running advent calendar. image

• A belated congratulations to Malcs....looking forward to seeing your progress and really hope you smash the time in Paris. I think you will, especially with the coach you have image

A schoolboy (well girl really) error if I may.....never, under any circumstances, on the Wednesday before your marathon, when you just need to do that one last bit of speed work, fall off the back of a treadmill going at over 13kph. It hurts. Like hell.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Poo Diamonds - wow 91 mins! I would kill for that time. What's your marathon target this year, surely must be aiming for sub 3:15 with that sort of half?

Btw. I have a habit of shortening multi word forum names but I just can't bring myself to do it in your case image

SupermanRuns - ha image Yes indeed. The full book of Millsy wisdom will be available for purchase at the end of this process from all good book stores.

Freemers - many thanks! Ha image Shouldn't laugh really but that really is quite amusing. I hope you were ok to race? 

I have a fear of treads. It's that thing of moving but staying still - just freaks me out.

• Malcs - it really was a schoolgirl error! I stepped off the side of the TM to fiddle with my iPod and thought I had put it on pause, so just stepped straight back on and went flying off the back. Hit the TM behind me, ended up with a gashed knee and a bruise on my thigh the side of a large grapefruit. A bit stiff for the next few days but thankfully all OK to run on the Sunday - by which time the bruise had turned purple and black which was very attractive! I got a big PB in the marathon though, so all good image

Poo Diamonds - I'd also kill for a 91 minute HM...you should definitely be aiming close to 3.15 with that sort of time.

Mr P - well done with the hill work....definitely not my kind of thing!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Today's schoolboy error. Don't think that 2 x 20 mile runs are enough, just because you ran a marathon a year before. For my successful sub 3.30 attempt I followed the rule of " your 5 longest runs should total 100 miles"

In the failed attempt I really struggled in the last 6 due to my lack of endurance.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Totally agree with that Millsy1977. I think that is the single most important element of the training programme.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Freemers - bloody hell! You really went for it then. And you still got a PB? Seems to be a running theme here - make some schoolboy/girl error the week before and bag yourself a PB image I shall start thinking of bizzare stunts to pull in week 16!

Millsy - that is a good one. I just about scraped tnto the 5x=100 this year and I think it made a big difference. However, total mileage and number of 20+ milers does seem to be a point of contention. It sparked a bit of debate last year about whether it was a necessity or a case of horses for courses.

Under Sam Ady only did one (or two) 20+ runs last year (maybe he can confirm as I'm not certain but it wasn't 5). He still managed to do sub 3:30 and ran a pretty even pace.

DS2 - it'll be interesting to see what Steve's view is on this. I kind of hope he is in this camp but whatever he prescribes I will follow to the letter.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Malcs wrote (see)

Under Sam Ady only did one (or two) 20+ runs last year (maybe he can confirm as I'm not certain but it wasn't 5). He still managed to do sub 3:30 and ran a pretty even pace.

He ran a brilliant marathon but with more longer runs he may have run faster... image

BTW Ady I'll be looking for some Comrades tips as I'm planning to do it in 2015. image

• Hey Malcs, this thread is going along quickly, not even time to catch up properly. There was talk about rugby, well that is a hot topic in my house with recent events at Bath!

Really I am jealous of this Marathon talk so am going to do Taunton Marathon in April. I am, and don't try and talk me out of it.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - I found that when I was younger I could run a marathon on a lot less than 5 x 20 milers - but when I tried it in my 40's I failed miserably!

The endurance part felt quite comfortable on the day this time and I put that down to running a lot of LSR's.  Interestingly, I've never been so slow but ran my fastest marathon in 20 years!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - fair point image Then again, if he had done more would it have been too much? I'm with you on doing more longer runs just because I feel I need it to build the endurance, something I've struggled with before this year.

It seemed to suit Ady though and as we all know Sam is an outstanding coach well known for getting the best out of people.

Reg - what's happening at Bath? Just lost your director of rugby I see. Are you a season ticket holder there?

Ha ha image You'll be lucky to find anyone to talk you out of running here! That's brilliant - sub 3:30 target I hope?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - cross post there. Interesting. I'm sure age is a factor though aren't we supposed to have better endurance as we get older? Or is that just wishful thinking?image

• hubby is in his 50's and is finding the more long runs the faster he gets,......maybe it is linked with age.he gets lots of 21 miles in as its a nice circular routeimage

• The name has been temporarily adopted due to toilet issues during the aforementioned HM. I'll return to normal once the joke has started to wear thin.

I'll be very interested in hearing the various opinions on long runs, both number and pace.