Sub 3h15

Comments

• That sounds a real privilege to have lived in the Cape GM - it is a wonderful place.  I would love to live there too.  Probably my wine consumption would increase though.

6x800m over 7miles this lunchtime.  The reps came out in the range 3:09 to 3:15.  On better days they typically come out at 2:58 to 3:05 so probably 10-12 seconds down.  There are a number of explanations including glycogen depletion, a heavy gym session yesterday and lack of practice of fast running.  Anyway I know where I am now and it's a good baseline to improve from.

• Bike it - Yes it was, I was nestled in between the Helderberg mountain range and the wine there was just amazing. I used to pay R20-30 for a nice bottle. The exchange rate was not as good back then though. Many a party was had in Stellenbosch and around the Uni campus. It's a great university. If you like white wine I would recommend the Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc and if you ever make it back there, make a plan to visit his brother's restaurant in old Stellenbosch road called 96 Winery road, it's astoundingly good.

They are decent reps there that you did. I like 800's but haven't done any speedwork since Pre VLM 13. Shocker eh.

SB - Seems as though you are mending. Are they football teams you mention?

Abbers  - Yes we are indeed and I would love to be able to race off Island more often but not viable at the mo.

Rest day today after 5k race last night but expect to be back on it tomorrow.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

GM - The teams are Conference Premier. We were 19th going into last night's game, Kiddy were 3rd. They should have murdered us as we're only part time and they're fully pro. We're now up to 17th now, almost nose bleed territory...BRING IT ON!!

SB

• SB - Ah ok. I must be blind as only now I see you have a Woking FC crest as your avatar, that sounds positive.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BI - solid training there; early days, so that looks promising.

GM - you're making me yearn for a good steak and glass of merlot now! Visited some great vineyards around Stellenbosch, including De Meye (unfortunately, I don't think they have an importer in the UK) http://www.demeye.co.za/index.htm  I remember the sporting scene on the Ch Islands being friendly but intense, having been there on a couple of cricket tours and rugby trips, but can understand the lack of opportunities.

SB - sounds like you're recovering well. Real grass roots footy!

• Tonights MLR turned into feeding my face at a barbecue as I'd completely forgotten about the event the park rangers put on at the park where I'm the parkrun ED.

• BOTF - sorry to hear you're still having issues. Hope the physio helps.
    Birch - nice dozing.
    GM - your 5k and 10k PBs are similar to mine. I'd like another crack at sub 40 - last time I think I made the mistake of latching onto a group and didn't notice when the pace dropped.
    SB - I wouldn't have known that was the Woking FC crest if no-one had mentioned it - good result.
    BOTF - LOL! BBQs can be a bit distracting.
    11 steady miles @ 7:29 m/m so very close to target pace this week.

• SB - Woking, eh...brings back happy memories of my team, Epsom & Ewell, beating them at Sandy Lane, Tooting to lift the Surrey Senior Cup in 1981. How our respective fortunes have changed since then!image.

Yesterday I was happy to get out and do a 5-miler at 6:00 a.m, but now I see myself for the slacker I really am.

11M (18kms, in fact, which is moreimage) this morning at a frisky 7:24mm. I am embracing these extra miles. Bring 'em on.

• 19 miles @ 7:50 pace so a shade under two and a half hours running. Bit of chafing to the undercarriage, need to rethink the leggings strategy. Out an back course, 75:35 out for 9.5 miles and back in 73:50 so not the differential I will want later over 20 miles but a good start this early in the campaign.

Most enjoyable LSR so far, helped by two facts: (1) day off work so it was a late start at 8:30 and run easily and (2) what a great route and weather: Thames tow path and a light mist which hides all the ugly stuff in the background and all you see is pretty riverside views and properties.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Similar to my 20 last week PMJ but I stopped for a coffee and crunchy at 16 miles before the final push. image

• No long run for me this week due to work Chrismas do and the after effects of it image going to be a low mileage week but got a 17 x 400m in this morn to keep the legs turning over .

• Thats a long workout Leslie. What sort of pace do you aim to run the 400s at. 10k pace?  The speed work in my plan starts in 2 weeks time and is capped at 3miles (4,800m).

• 95 secs for 400 so somewhere  between current 5k and 10k pace  Also-ran , ive been adding 2 reps a week the last few weeks was supposed to be 16 reps but added an extra one in, thats the biggest week will keep it the same one more week and maybe go 800's or mile reps .

Its more to get me used to that pace for my next half .

• Leslie, I'd certainly look at doing fewer reps but longer ones if it is for a half. Also waht sort of recovery do you have between the 400s. When I have a half, I do reps of 800, 1000, 1200, 1600 or 2000 metres with about half the rep time as recovery.

• Recovery is slow 100m jog , I did 6x800 last week, hill repeats the week before to mix thinks up a bit  as well as a set of 400's .I will be move to longer reps very soon now as im getting more comfortabale with the pace.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

A little explanation please: is that target pace for the week (early week in a campaign) or target pace for the glorious full 26.2? If it is the latter then I think you may need a rethink as 11 at MP is not 11 steady. I understand you have had a marathon experience that could turn any one away from a repeat and maybe the goal is "just" to half your current PB but your race form at Peterborough and training since suggest that you can run much closer to 3h00 than to 3h15. I'm not saying aim to 3 dead but I think that if you plan and execute a 3h15 and it comes off you may look back in the days and weeks that follow and have some regrets as marathons don't come along that often.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - nice one on the 19M, leggings ? must have been colder where you are than it was here.

Minni - did your long run come with undercarriage chafing to then ?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ, Ant and Gul racking up the miles. Nice. And a bit of a monster reps session from Leslie too.

7 more easy miles for me this morning. 

Awaiting events in Perth overnight with a sense of dreadful anticipation! Time to do or die, and on current form, I have a horrible feeling I know which of those options it's going to be! I hope to wake and be pleasantly surprised.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

BOTF - sorry to hear you're still having issues. Hope the physio helps.
    Birch - nice dozing.
    GM - your 5k and 10k PBs are similar to mine. I'd like another crack at sub 40 - last time I think I made the mistake of latching onto a group and didn't notice when the pace dropped.
    SB - I wouldn't have known that was the Woking FC crest if no-one had mentioned it - good result.
    BOTF - LOL! BBQs can be a bit distracting.

TR wrote (see)

PMJ - nice one on the 19M, leggings ? must have been colder where you are than it was here.

No: cool enough that they were fine but not needed. My knee has been playing up and I just thought keeping it warm would be good and that seemed to work out well.

• Abbers - don't you think the probable Ashes loss has been coming for a while? - batters not performing, relying on lower order runs for too long, and their depth in quick bowling is way better than ours. I'm afraid they have our lot worked out unless there is a display of real character.

OTOH when you see an international captain who knows there is a stump mic nearby but talks about a fellow-professional getting a broken arm, you have to think....a peasant, not a sportsman.

Anyway, 9m tonight, not fast but recovered OK from Sunday's mara. 

Re the namecheck in Tony's Trials, it happened at the Co-op, NOT Lo-Cost image Mortified.

Minni - fully recovered?

• First quality session of the Hanson plan tonight  was a Tempo session incl. 5 @ 6:13, and 5 warm up / cool down which came out as 7:20. Tempo miles ran between the 6:10 - 6:15  band. It felt good to break out of the easy pace for a bit. Back to Easy running for 6 daysimage

• Apologies for the flying visit, but I just wanted to respond to PMJ. I may not get a chance to post tomorrow morning as I'm off for a job interview image But I'll catch up with you all very soon.

PMJ - sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant close to my intended pace for that session i.e. 7:30-8:00 m/m. In previous weeks I've been running that steady session too fast (e.g 7:15, 6:52). And it's way too early to set a PMP. I know it's going to be a tough call as I race incredibly infrequently. At the moment 3:10 is just a wouldn't-it-be-nice-to-do kind of target.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

No TR, my undercarriage was tickertyboo afterwards! 

Poacher - yes. I've done about 30 miles since Sunday.  Haven't caught up with the latest MT yet - will do on Sunday'a long run. 

• Leslie - That is an amazing session, and I particularly like the fact you stuck an extra one on the end!

AR - Great work, that sounds like a tough one.

Poacher - I think I will call you the Happy Shopper from now on.

Legs a bit sore, so will go easier on tomorrow's 9-miler.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

GM,

Peter Riegel’s formula is: t2 = t1 * (d2 / d1)^1.06

This formula was devised by Pete Riegel and published (in a slightly different form) in Runner’s World. Riegel later refined the formula for other sports. This formula has stood up well over time, and has the merit of simplicity. It says, roughly speaking, that a person’s speed declines by around 6% when the distance
    doubles.

Means a tick for sub 40 (closer to 39).

PMJ - If I plug in my recent 5k time in it predicts a marathon time of 2:59. Now that I would like to see happen. Not sure if I can do that but it certainly gives me some sort of hope as that would be the ultimate goal.

Chafing! Aggghh I hate that and it's one of the issues I've had when running long runs. If I don't apply the vas I am a dead cert to suffer with horrible chafing on my inner thighs, brings back many a bad memory from my marathon training. Got some leggings coming for xmas.

Ant - Good idea! You're goin at it fairly hard.

AR - Great sesh!

Leslie - That is a very good work out. I had some 200's in mind and thought about 20 the other day! Thinking is one thing though and doing another!

• Gul, good luck for the interview.

GM, the calculators work from 5k to 10k, 10k to half etc but none of them can be good at marathon as it is so different. All my short distances hit the predictions spot on, no soft PBs, no stand out PBs, They had me down for 2:37 when I was young but I kept on going through 20 in 2 hours and dying the proverbial ...

I was with someone today from Jersey but he didn't know of you: must be a bigger place than I thought.

• Gul - Good luck and hope it goes well!

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Gul, good luck for the interview.

GM, the calculators work from 5k to 10k, 10k to half etc but none of them can be good at marathon as it is so different. All my short distances hit the predictions spot on, no soft PBs, no stand out PBs, They had me down for 2:37 when I was young but I kept on going through 20 in 2 hours and dying the proverbial ...

I was with someone today from Jersey but he didn't know of you: must be a bigger place than I thought.

Yes, even in my limited experience of marathons I have realised that there are many variables to factor in some of which are out of your control and most people don't tend to have amazing debut performances, that is unless your my mate who was only running a year or so and did max 40 miles in his biggest week and debuted at 2:46! What is your mara pb then?

Indeed, Jersey is a small place but a rather ununsual one in that you could live here for many years and you wouldn't come into contact with certain people, it's very parochial. I do not hail from these shores originally so no family ties here either. To give you an example of what I mean, I heard only the other day that someone who I used to know in Jersey and had not seen for many a year because they had emigrated to Australia, it transpires my wife informed me that very person is here and she has been back living in Jerfsey for about 6 years or more! I do tend to lead a very private life though and my only social outings tend to be running related. Need to get out more often!image

• Yes, good luck Gul

I had a strange gait analysis experience this morning. I went to the Gym to do 7 Easy and some light weights. When I came off the treadmill one of the instructors asked me if I was into running, and said there was very little swing in my right arm. Then showed me a video of it taken on his iPad.  Feeling a little spooked image  - I think he was angling for some private coaching. Then he told me he was coaching a beginner for VLM and wanted to know if I thought it was a good idea them doing 26.2 in training two weeks before.  Strange morning.

• Also-ran wrote (see)

When I came off the treadmill one of the instructors asked me if I was into running, and said there was very little swing in my right arm.

As little as this? This is me, one shot with my right leg forward and one with me left leg forward, arms in identical positions

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eTAC8EYv9gY/UqrfPlEQ2SI/AAAAAAAAAdY/O80FQgDRKkk/s748/ScreenShot.png

GM, my marathon PB from 2012 is 2:50:28. I may have run a bit faster when young or maybe a bit slower but can't recall and when shooting at 2:37 it didn't seem that important to remember the exact time as it wasn't one that would make me happy.

• Almost PMJ - my left arm is very relaxed and swings, my right is fairly rigid (but then I know that achilles, calf, hamstring and lower back have always been tight for years, so I guess the arm thing is connected.)

I won't lose sleep over it, however I will have nightmares about being filmed by gym instructors