ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I run Paddock Wood often. Lovely event and pretty close to home.

• Blimey where has everyone gone? Christmas shopping? Was it something I said or is everyone caught up in the voting drama? Can't believe they have a counter on everyone's biog. When does the vote finish Malcs?

Hope everyone's had a great weekend of running? I managed 15 but had to run back to the house mid-way as I thought I'd left the gas on! Also managed to sneak a win at the park run yesterday. Think all the faster lads were taken out by XC and the Stockport 10 but hey a win is a win!
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Stan, everyone is out campaigning for Malcs image

• I'm still reeling from learning Liz McColgan is Scottish.  You'll be telling me Malcs is Scottish next!

Angela, I am planning to come to Manchester to watch, If you want any sherpaing doing we are happyto help.

Did the Stockport ten today, met my hero Tony off Marathon Talk, 44 seconds slower than 5 years ago but after a week off with a cold and and a big meal and late night last night I was very pleased image

It is looking hopeful Malcs good Luck image.

• Cheers Emma was well chuffed yesterday.

Jenf I really hopes he gets through!!! The voting is looking close...
  • Well done Mr P. Take it the Stockport scenery wasn't as impressive as Conwy?
  • Not really no Stan! The atmosphere made up for it though.  Where was your parkrun then? Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere.  One of our local runners was second at Stockport, we aren't friends but I see him at  races.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice going Mr P and Stan!!!

but most of all, well done Malcs. Well and truly back in the gameimageimage

Our collective campaigning must be having an effect. Come on team Malcsimage

• Morning all!!!

Apologies, I seem to have gotten a bit lost on the Asics 262 threads, and forgotten to post on here!!  Isn't Malcs doing well??  I'm just plodding along with my trainng.  Week 1 of the Hal Higdon plan is done with a little poetic license at the weekend.

On Saturday, instead of doing 5 miles at marathon pace, I jogged the 1.5 miles to parkrun, ran parkrun and then jogged the 1.5 miles home, so did around 6 miles with some pretty decent hill and speedwork, and came first lady!  This must be a lucky thread Stan, as Sarah was first lady too on Saturday!  Congratulations to all of us!

On Sunday, I was meant to do a long run of 10 miles, but I went to marshal at the Santa run!  I got so cold doing that , that when i ran home I was actually in pain from the shock waves of impact making the pins and needles in my hands hurt.  Decided I will do the 10 miles easy this afternoon instead image

Yay! Mr P, so happy you're coming to watch in Manchester image.  Are you on Twitter?  a few of my twitter buddies are doing Manchester as well.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Normal service will be resumed after 12.00 tomorrow !  image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL - yeah apologies, it has all gone a bit mental since Sunday.

I was away all weekend so couldn't really do any campaigning. In all honesty I pretty much thought I was dead and buried but there were a group of amazing people out there who thought differently and wow, did it make a difference.

Stan - brilliant win at the Parkrun, not a bad few weeks Parkrunning for you!

Mr P - ha ha image Sorry if the Scottish thing has come as a shock to you image

Well done on the Stockport 10!

DS2 - oh yes indeed, it's making all the difference!

Angela - said it before but well done on that first lady spot, that is just brilliant. I hope  you dropped to your knees and punched the air? 

Jen - thanks, just thanks! image

• Fraid not Malcs, instead rather nonchalantly said to the timer volunteers,'yeah right, you must be kidding'... tee hee! but when i looked around I didn't see any other ladies that looked like they'd just run 5k... image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Come on team - Malcs needs one final big push until noon tomorrow! image

• Well done Angela and Sarah on your 1st places. It's good to finish at the front! My parkrun was in Bolton Mr P so many of the fast lads were taken away doing the Stockport 10. Think I am running faster as I've put my old pair of Nike Pegasus on. They always were a fast pair of shoes!

The voting seems to be going really well Malcs. It's great to see how many people on the forums have got behind you. You must feel very popular and it is well deserved. Good luck. Is it tomorrow you find out?

Jen how do you manage to squeeze in such high mileage every week. I think I am doing well if I do 25! Very much in awe!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Stan. The support here has been amazing. I'm quite overwhelmed. 

I was going well but if you look now I've been washed away in a Marcus and Kirsty tidal wave. I need a massive rally if I'm to be there for the sprint finish tomorrow. We shall see.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Wow, and an exciting sprint finish it was, its gone for a video replay!! Fingers crossed Malcs.

Stan, I have indeed been clocking up the miles!! in fact I totalled up this year at the weekend and it came to 1283miles!! I think its because I always do a 'medium' length mid week run for fun on my afternoon off, usually heading off down the beach or in the forest, and get lost!

So.. it's going to be all about the running again now image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Well done to Malcs. A truly deserving winner. I'm expecting a great read! 

And well done to everyone on here for supporting himimage

• Congratulations Malcs, must be nice to be over it all now.  Paris is a fantastic marathon, I know I've banged on about it before but I will never forget meeting up with some of the other forumites under the Arc then waiting for the start on the champs elysees in the morning sunshine, fantastic. Running along the Seine, the food stations like Borough Market, best of all the sausage van after the finish line.

Jen, yes, the running, er I did two and a half  miles tonight, I went out to see how I felt after Saturday's digging and Sunday'st race, and discovered a nice figure of eight loop round the village, it soon became clear that I wasn't recovered so I retired early. 

does anyone use Sporttracks? It has a racetime predictor that says 3:36 off that StockpOrt time so very encouraged.  I think I will go for it in Jan at four villages and aim for the mid thirties.

• Morning all,

Thanks Stan, its amazing how different shoes can freshen you up.  I was drawn in by the adidas boost marketing earlier in the year so picked up a pair even though they are designed for a neutral gait and I need a bit more stability.  However, I have used them in speedwork and to race 5k and 10k, and they definitely seem to help foot turnover.

Jenf, I'm creeping up on my 1000 mile target quite swiftly now.  Now on 933.  So happy with the difference from last year!  I bought my garmin around this time last year, and decided to start building up base miles before my marathon plan started in the new year.  I had had such a long lay off as I got injured training for NYC marathon that thankfully didn't go ahead, as I would have run it with only 14 miles in the bank as my longest run.  Well this time last year I was struggling wiht a weekly mileage of 15-17... I have run that in the last 2 days!

Mr P, no I've not used Sporttracks, but there are a whole host of racetime predictors out there.  Personally I like this one, as you can look down at the other distances and see if they're realistic, or if you need to factor in extra time.  For example, my best 5k already has me at a Boston Qualifying marathon, but I don't yet have the 10k or Half marathon times to back that up... Clearly if it was a half marathon predicting that though, I would be a lot more confident image http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp?metres=5000&hr=&min=22&sec=41&age=27&gender=F&Submit=Calculate 

So I went along to Colchester Harriers last night.  It wasn't full of people as I had expected.  We ran in a small mixed group of 5 of us, and did a session of 3 sets of 400m 1:30 rest x 3... so for the maths whizzes out there, 9 laps.  We were on the road to do this, not a track, but we basically ran around a block that equates to roughly 400m.  I was a bit dozy with hitting the lap button on my garmin, so don't have the splits for all but my best lap (the 3rd) was done at 5:58 pace (yes, there is a FIVE on the start of that time).  The worst was a lot worse at 6:32.  In fact, that whole last set was slower, but I wasn't any further behind the men than I was in the previous sets, so I think they slowed down too.  All in all a fun session.  A lot more intense speedwork than I would have done on my own given I'm working toward the marathon, but still I got a 6 mile run out of it, so can't complain...

Have I forgotten anything... oh yes, MALCS!!!! imageimageimage mahuszive congratulations!!! Can't wait to follow your thread

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Angela, great  mileage image you should see that 1000 before the year is out.

MrP, nice little recovery run there!

Malcs any running from you yet or are you still flying high?

Well I went out for a little 12miler this afternoon, Glorious day, sun out, tide in, soft sand is hard to run on image but I was going well up to 9 miles. Then energy levels dropped n legs became v heavy. So I sat n ate my piece of fruit cake and decided to use my 20pink elephant strategy to do the remaining 3 miles. Ok Ok its fartlek to you lot, but I find it much more fun to count 20 pink elephants!! Well I really got into it, and my new garmin220 told me my fastest pace was 6.20 !!! however I don't think it really counts when you only run it for 20 pink elephants! But at least it distracted me from the pain and I got home feeling very pleased with myself.

• Well done Malcs so pleased for you! Well done and I look forward to following your journey over the next few months. You're gonna smash through that 3:30 barrier. Enjoy your shop at the weekend, if you could smuggle me a pair of size 11's that would be grand!

Angela how do you find the people at Colchester Harriers? I've recently joined a new running club and always find the 1st few months strange as the other runners are sometimes a bit rude and a bit too serious. I know from my old running club that it seems you have to prove yourself before they accept you! Maybe I am just a little paranoid! However last nights session was really good even if it was a bit of a killer. 7 miles up and down Pennine hills. They call it the "suicide six" at the club. Maybe they are trying to tell me something!

Good running Jenf. Love running on sand. Miss living by the coast but hoping to get some beach running done when I visit my parents over Christmas. Sounds like you had a good run - do you actually count 20 pink elephants?
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

yes Stan, I count them one at a time! makes for about  30sec intervals.

Stop press: my legs ache today! image

• Stan I sometimes think our club could be friendlier to new people too. I would like to see a rota of volunteers to make it their business to look after new joiners.

Angela that site ranged from 3:36 to 3:41, so I will keep looking for a site thst will give me 3:30 simples. image.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mr P - this has always worked for me. Train believing I can run 10 minutes quicker! If I find on the day that I have to go back to my original target it seems easy!

Honestly, most people that struggle to get under 3:30 are capable of running 3:20. They just need to train a bit faster. They are usually capable of that but no one has told them. It's all about belief.

I am nowhere near Sub 3:30 at this point but I will train for 3:15. if I fall short and run 3:25 I won't be too disappointed.

I'm old and pretty slow now so running fast is hard work. if I can train at those faster paces anyone can! Honest!image

Most people have the capability of running sub 3:30 if they have the desire and are prepared to train for it. For me, it's all about deciding how hard I want to train, pick a target, set a plan and stick to it. It's possible to make quantum leaps with that strategy - hence Malcs knocking 26 minutes off last year. I will be surprised if he doesn't run under 3:25!

• Jenf, I LOVE ELEPHANTS!!!! So, I will be using that strategy in future image

Stan, Still making an assessment on the running club..  I see a lot of them at parkrun and other places, and have been considering joining for quite some time.  It was never possible before, as working in London, I wouldn't even get back to Colchester until well after the training session had started.  Although, now I'm going into the health and fitness industry, the chances of me being free for all the evening training sessions are unlikely.  I must say that being first lady in parkrun certainly helped me earn some stripes with them.  In the mixed group (of 5 of us) I was the fastest lady on all the repeats.  there was another girl about my age, maybe a little younger, but def in her 20s, and then an older lady who told me she'd been running for 30 years.  It was really nice to chat with her actually, as she said that the parkrun had given her a new lease of life in her running.  Here I was thinking that the main positive outcome of my helping to get the colchester one started was getting those poeple who would otherwise stay in bed and do no exercise to come out to parkrun.  its so nice to hear it is also providing motivation for a seasoned runner who is struggling with the inevitable decline in speed that age brings.  Anyhoo, another club run tonight, so I'll make my verdict whether to join after this I expect image

Mr P, you better follow DS2's advice... if parkrun is anything to go by (which i'm sure it isn't much) then I'm gonna beat you at London (well I wont coz i will have run the best race possible at Manchester)... image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sorry, should have been back here before now. The last few days have been a bit of a blur.

Thank you all! You've all been a massive help to me and I am extremely grateful for the support!

Mr P - I look forward to a sausage at the end, although if it isn't an Asics sausage then I may not be allowed image

I have only used race predictors once or twice. I'm sure Clive showed me a good one once but the only one I can remember is the RW one.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction though which is great!

Stan - thanks very much indeed. I hope you are right. I'd also like to get my 5K down on the way so I'll take your recent performances as inspiration!

Jen - that is impressive mileage however, I think it's clearly affecting you mentally. I have had the pleasure of running down your neck of the woods and have never seen a pink elephant let alone counted one. Ease off on the drugs and see if that helpsimage

Very good speed though so if you let me know your supplier I might get me some!

Angela - many thanks! Sounds like you had a great session at the Harriers. I'll be honest, I thought you were already a member of a club. Do let us know what you decide!

DS2 - that is a great tip, I like it. Makes alot of sense!

As you all know my thread is set up now and my commitments to the process have already started. I think I will struggle to be in so many places at once but I will try to get back here as often as I can. If I don't you know where to find me and give me a bollocking image

• Angela the way you are progressing I am sure you will be there or thereabouts at London. Still fancy a meet up before the start?

Malcs the sausage van is on the place de L'etoile, it was five euros and it was the best meal we had in Paris!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

yes, don't worry Malcs, we know where to find you !!

Mr P, I agree about newbies at clubs, I always look out for them and we try and make sure they are never left running alone. But it is difficult sometimes, cos everyone wants to have a 'good run' for themselves.

So Angela, what is the verdict? joining?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Feeling sorry for myself today, sore throat and thick head image  no running yesterday or today I fear.

My 20miles was ok on Saturday though, and a further 5miles on Sunday. Hope I'm better for club santa run tomorrow. We are going to country park/forestry with head torches.