Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul - Hope your interview went well.

Gerard - Even so, I think a description of my social life would make yours seem positively debauched.

AR/PMJ - I have to consciously think about swinging my arms and in all photos there they are, dangling in front as though I know I'm about to fall over any second.

In an attempt to get my head sorted out viz a viz the last ten miles of the marathon (well, and perhaps it might help in real life, too) I have started Reading Dr. Steve Peters' "The Chimp Paradox", as recommended by Ronnie O'Sullivan, Chris Hoy, Victoria pendleton, Bradley Wiggins et al. has anyone else read it or heard anything about it?

9 miles @ 7:40mm this morning in drizzle. Feeling a bit tired but tomorrow is a recovery day.

• I've not read that book Ant, but once you have finished, I will give it a go if you give it the 3:15 Thread recommendation. That will have more gravitas than a Wiggins or Hoy thumbs up image 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Can't shift the sore throat. Think I'll bin this week and start the camapign on Monday.
    Fortunately I've done plenty of base fitness and am not in too bad a shape.

SB

• Bad luck SB

Let me know about the book too Ant. Good miles too.

Nice long running PMJ, Gul and Minnie and multiple reps from LH.

Just normal stuff here, hitting the mileage on the PnD with sundays 8 with 8 at MP to ponder over. Work chrimbo do tonightimage

• AR/PMJ - any stories about running barefoot to school with books under your arm?

I know how you feel Poacher - I bumped into a friend last weekend in Aldi and the first thing he said to me was 'I'm only here for the wine' like he was embarrassed to be seen there

I'm reading 'Run like an Athlete' by Jay Dichary at the mo.  A lot of back ground on the workings the musculature, biomechanics, stability neuromuscular stuff, etc.  Its basically a guide to analyse your own running dynamics and pin-point your weakness.  So far I'm working on stability, glute activation and glute strength and more action points to come.  It's practical and real rather than the Chi-running sh**

I ran a 3:49 mile this lunchtime, according to Garmin anyway:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415210995

I have to come clean though and my true start point was about 800m north of where Garmin thought.  Another technology screw-up

Currently knackered after hard weightlifting and spinning yesterday and 7m at easy pace this lunchtime

• Menn - Ditto, it's actually normally quite a fun-ish night. Normally a lovely venue and the food & wine is usually good so I'm looking forward to it. As I said earlier I don't get out often!image I was just thinking the other day I cannot recall the last time I had a pint of beer. I will be having a few ales tonight.

On the subject of books has anyone read Charlie Spedding's?

Ant - Really, is your self imposed or work load related? I live right on the beach and I very seldom want to be anywhere else even in the winter unless I am legging it somewhere.image

PMJ - Great double action flic, perfectly balanced!

Jools - How is your recovery coming on??

• Bike It wrote (see)

AR/PMJ - any stories about running barefoot to school with books under your arm?

The only thing I ran with under my arm was a GMPG which may explain why I don't feel inclined to move them.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Result! I've finally cured my addiction to the Hokey-Cokey.

I've turned myself around and that's what it's all about!!

SB

•  

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Bike It wrote (see)

AR/PMJ - any stories about running barefoot to school with books under your arm?

The only thing I ran with under my arm was a GMPG which may explain why I don't feel inclined to move them.

Respect on that one PMJ.  It's a very serious thing to run with, but the image of your running with one of those did make me smile just a little bit.

• Just a quick visit to post this, as it really did made me laugh out loud.image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiuns5_WXM

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

image  This is rather splendid...

Santa the brand

SB

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gerard - yes, I have the Spedding book; excellent reading.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    BadBark, that is brilliant!! I think we've all had similar conversations.

SB
  • Gerard - I don't know how I've come to this pass, to be honest, or even if I should care any more.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

All those vids are great Badbark, that's why I never talk about running (especially marathon training) to non runners, because they think we are a bunch of knobheads!

Mennania- Even though I've followed the P&D plan myself I do think that long run with 8 at mara pace at this stage is pretty pointless, demoralising at best. (for me)

7 miles with 4 @ tempo tonight, as the first week of my made up plan to go sub 80 at Reading HM kicks off. Splits for the tempo were 6.13, 6.11, 6.09, 6.06. So pretty pleased I got faster through the run. Just need to improve my warm up with a few sets of strides so I get the best out of the session.

It's a big ask at the moment to hit 13 miles at 6.06 pace.

• moof wrote (see)

I never talk about running (especially marathon training) to non runners, because they think we are a bunch of knobheads!

I know! Ridiculous, isn't it?!image Great tempo run, btw.

• SB - I'm terrified of German sausages...

...I fear the wurst.

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)
    moof wrote (see)

I never talk about running (especially marathon training) to non runners, because they think we are a bunch of knobheads!

I know! Ridiculous, isn't it?!image Great tempo run, btw.

Nicely put moof! Good pacey session in the bid for the sub 80.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Ant, AR,

It's early Sunday morning. pi$$ing down outside.

So what do we do? Turn over in bed and have a cosy cuddle? No, we go out for a twenty mile run! Deliberately keep the pace nice and slow as it's a 'time on feet' effort and we want to endure it as long as possible and only head back home when hypothermia starts to sets in.

I have a sore knee, my right achilles gives me grief first thing in the morning and I look like a cripple when tying up my shoe laces. 

On the plus side I can out run/sprint all of my friends, family and work colleagues, but would require at least a 2 mile warm up before attempting this, just to loosen up a bit!

Is it any wonder we are looked on as a bit odd.

• Moof - I couldn't agree more, but on this occasion I was being facetious!

• Moof - cracking tempo run.
    Thanks for all your best wishes, guys. The interview was for an IT tech support job and it's 5 years since I've done anything along those lines - and it showed! Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Had lots of time to mull over where I go next this morning during 18 miles @ 9:12 m/m (a smidgen over 2h45m). Brings the tally to 60 miles for the week, which must be my highest ever. image

• Nice LSR there Gul. What route did you take? That sort of mileage can get out to some of the real nice places way west of Sandringham.

I did parkrun this morning and need to chant the mantra: there is one goal and only one goal. Just feel very slow at the moment but knocking off a fast parkrun is not part of the plan and if I run 19 on Thursday then I can't expect to do a fast one on Saturday. 51 miles for the week in 5 runs so averaging over 10 miles a day and I will probably do a seriously slow and social 10+ tomorrow to pop over 60 again.

• Fingers crossed for you Gul - hoping for a positive outcome. Does applying for an IT role mean you've kicked teaching into touch for the time being? Decent run this morning and overall mileage this week. 

Poacher - can't believe Tony got it wrong. I you sure it wasn't Lo-Cost?

When can we see the Jantastic team line up?

On the subject of conversations with non-runners, Mrs L has definitely taken the "if you can't beat them, join them" approach but having said that it she still thinks I'm bonkers getting up at 5 for a run in the pouring rain. Our paths literally crossed this morning as I was coming back down the High Street at the end of my run as she was heading out for a 10 miler.

15 undulating / hilly miles for me this morning - another loop out and round Box Hill but in the opposite direction to last week. Very enjoyable. image

• Lorenzo is going to be chicked by MrsL. You heard it here first. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My parkrun 50th this morning and celebrated with a victory image

That doesn't happen very often!

• Well done OO, good way to bring up the 50. I had to change parkruns to do that.

• Great result OO!

Xmas work do last night got a bit untidy. Uggh feel dreary, the wife's turn tonight. I will run tomorrow. XC tomorrow morning, think will skip that as I have to invest in a pair of XC shoes, don't want to have a mare for my first one in 26 years.

Gul - Great mileage and interesting to see how things will pan out for you.

• Birch wrote (see)

Gerard - yes, I have the Spedding book; excellent reading.

Great, thanks Birch, that will be bought by me for me for xmas!image

• Nice way to bring in the half century OO, well done.

• Excellent result OO, and a great day to do it.

Good miles and/or mileage from Gul, PMJ and Lorenzo. The day Mrs. Ant says she's "popping out for a 10-miler"...well, I don't know what I'll do. Hire a private detective, probably.

5 recovery miles for me this morning, to bring up 39 for the week, with 15 still to come tomorrow.

Next week the plan is going to have to be tweaked. First I have a 5-and-a-bit-miles race on Saturday afternoon, then there's my work's Christmas dinner that evening. Sunday's scheduled 16-miler w/ 8 @ MP is not really going to happen, is it?