Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Farnborough itself if small. I think there are some bike paths. However you have easy access to all sorts of road riding within a short distance - Guidlford, Farnham, etc. Some good lumpy stuff there.

There is also the Army training ground in Aldershot which is fantastic for MTBing. Look up Caeser's camp in Alderhsot.

Can't remember what F'boro leisure centre is like, they probably have some classes and there is a 25m pool. As Steady has said, the garrison pool is 50m and there is a lake nearby (with a pub and nice deck).

• Brilliant Steady image

Pete - is that the opposite knee to the one originally? More than liekly you're over compensating, keep it easy until they're right.

Bike intervals on the turbo yesterday, tough stuff. Swam this morning, 500m continuous with a couple of 200s and 100s surrounding it. Long run later. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

IronCat - thanks for all the info, esp re MTB, really want to get back into doing that. I think I've only used my new bike couple of times. 

Moving in the next couple of weeks!

• Mikasa, watch out for when Dustboy is back to normal, he has a great cycle route over that way, lots of undulations, did it last year and he really helped me get up the hills.

• Sensible planning Pete! Keep it steady. Oo and top work Steady, hope the roller did the job.

You still doing Swimsmooth Maths?

El, loving the turbo. You Sufferfesting it yet?

Little pootle out again tonight. Easing myself back in gently image

• Ooh, I made 20 minutes on the turbot tonight. Very "flat" in one easy gear but it's progress.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Steady - cool, looking forward to Dustboy getting better, maybe I'll be ready to take on some hills by then. image

Just looking at RW beginners' half marathon plan. They say you need to be up to 15-20 miles a week for 4 week's before starting it but then the first 4 weeks mileage is less than 15. Doesn't make sense. I really need to start upping the mileage...

• Nice one DB. Take it easy over xmas!

• DB - well done

MrsD - yes, still swimsmooth on Thursdays, I love it! Tonight was the last one till Jan thoughimage

• image DB, you are making progress that is what counts.

I ended up using a tennis ball to release the muscles rather than the foam roller, it certainly found the spot.

Tonights spin class felt like I worked hard, but according to the garmin I did not work that hard at all, but did manage to keep in Z2.

Tomorrow if I get a chance I will do my long run to give me a break between the run and the long bike ride.

• Nothing today except a walk from the train station - it's Christmas party day!  Run then bodypump tomorrow image

• Morning everyone

Steady - your training the past few weeks has been amazingly consistant and I'm rather envious. Well done on your run.

DB - well done on your turbo image

Hope everyone is feeling better today.

Buttercup - enjoy your party.

Have managed one bike ride, one run and one pilates class this week and that is all! image Very shocking. Have a 'work' Christmas party this morning, a school nativity play this afternoon and a youth Christmas craft evening, so not going to manage any training today either.

Happy Friday everyone and hope you have something lovely planned for the weekend.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Buttercup - Xmas party for me as well in the evening and pub at lunch time I think. No promises I get to parkrun tomorrow but a 'long' run needs to be done this weekend. Not sure 4 a 5 miles, what do you think guys 'n' gals?

• mikasa your aloud a day of for christmas just one mind. image Why don't you go out for a run sunday if you want to?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I guess I'll just have to see how I feel tomorrow. The thing is, I wanted to do Eastleigh parkrun and next Saturday is moving day so not sure if bf lets me go then...

• why not go to parkrun tomorrow and tag on an extra mile ot two to make that your long run?

having a rubbish day - ended up coming home from work early because I feel really sick. Supposed to be going to OH's work xmas do tonight but that's not going to happen now - it was all free too

• MrsD - sufferfest costs doesn't it? That may have to be a 2014 thing with my current money situation! image

Nearly 8 miles in an hour yesterday for the long run, swim this morning of 600m but felt quite fatigued, had a nap this afternoon and feel 100 times better, only a strength and core session later.

Good luck to any parkrunners tomorrow

• No run for me, came home made a cup of coffee and had a biscuit. My front tooth has broken so think I will give running a miss, the cold air on it will not make me a happy bunny. Grrrr. And... I have a dental check up appointment for Tuesday evening, I doubt that they will be able to fit me in on Monday instead.

Probably will turbo on Sunday rather than risk the air on my tooth.image

• steady that is a pain, however, may not be too bad, I chipped a front tooth years ago and the dentist just built it up with white filling. It is worth ringing them on Monday, they normally keep some slots free for emergencies every day

• ooh...I'm giving up running until the race on the 2nd Jan.  I'll still be able to do a 10K with no more training.  I'll try a turbo and perhaps a swim.  Even my hips are hurting now.  I've got an hour massage on tuesday and perhaps the rest will do me good.  The massage lady is a miracle worker.  I hope so.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thought I'd set my alarm but no, so no parkrun. It's a packing day today so run either later or tomorrow.

MC - sorry to hear you were feeling ill and missed your free do. My work Xmas do was yesterday as well had a really good night, there was cealic (sp?) band and it was such fun!

Pete - look after yourself!

• pete - maybe you need to do some strengthening work on your legs? squats etc to strengthen glutes and quads to help protect your joints. I need to get back to doing them.

feeling a little better this morning, and have managed to eat something, but no exercise today. Having a bit of a rubbish December...

oh well, have loads of tests to mark so may as well do that and have a bit of a tidy up round the house ready for when we decide to put up the xmas tree - probably next weekend.

OH seems to have disappeared back to bed, he came in about 2:30 pretty drunk - I think all the drink was free! Apparently they shared my meal and it was lovely image

• image MC my December hasn't been much better tbh!  So going swimming after the bodypump class wasnt the smartest move - arms were quite tired lol.  Nevermind I biked 13km, swam 40 lengths and did the Bodypump class - sock stuffed.

• well done buttercup. 

still feeling grotty so will do nothing tomorrow either

• Did Parkrun this morning with Horse and Viking, Pennington Flash has a few hills so happy with 27'41"

5k Santa dash tomorrow at Old Trafford image
  • Enjoy tomorrow Razor.

Pete, do you own a foam roller? Do you do any strengthening or injury prevention work?

Today has turned in to a rest day for me due to an issue with my severe lack of experience, a shortened temper and an unwilling bike pump image 

Aiming to swim tomorrow and do a small bike too, back into the swing of things for next week.

• beanpole - what kind of bike pump do you have? I found out this year that a track pump is the only thing worth having (well and a mini pump to take out with you for on the road emergencies). I got one from evans for less than £20

• MC and Buttercup - my Dec has been pretty much a write off too! Although I've been keeping up with my crunches and my abs are really pretty good.

All the best for tomorrow Razor

Parkrun this morning with my girlies.

• razor - well done at parkrun and good luck for the santa run

oh well, may as well call December the off-season downtime and look forward to a more productive January then I reckon ladies!

• We had a great time in the Santa 5k run at Old trafford, about 1750 Santa's legging it down the road. image did it about 27' 40" forgot to stop my Garmin image

Horse has just seen us on Sky sports news jogging through the start line. I'm the one in the red and white suit.image